White exhaust smoke

Pondrosa

Equipment
BX2230D
Jun 24, 2021
Minot ND
New L4060 12hrs. Had #2 with some Lucas anti gel in tank. No smoke from exhaust.

Particulate filter at 32%.

Hasn't had first regen yet.

Added 5 gallons #1 today, shortly afterwards started putting out lots of white smoke.

10 degrees out today here in northern North Dakota.

Ideas?

Tom

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
There are periods where my LX3310 will blow out a fair amount of white smoke, it looks more like a haze, not smoke, it will do this for 5-10 minutes, it seems random. It usually happens when the machine is getting close to doing a regen, within 2 hours or so. I can't make heads or tails of it either but the machine runs awesome so I just keep using it as normal.

You are at 12 hours, so you are getting pretty close to your first regen (around 15). im not sure why these machines do this. Its like a very thin haze. I also use an additive (standyne)

Pondrosa

Equipment
BX2230D
Jun 24, 2021
Minot ND
There are periods where my LX3310 will blow out a fair amount of white smoke, it looks more like a haze, not smoke, it will do this for 5-10 minutes, it seems random. It usually happens when the machine is getting close to doing a regen, within 2 hours or so. I can't make heads or tails of it either but the machine runs awesome so I just keep using it as normal.

You are at 12 hours, so you are getting pretty close to your first regen (around 15). im not sure why these machines do this. Its like a very thin haze. I also use an additive (standyne)
Thank you for the reply. I had seen a video on YouTube that said that it could be a stuck open fuel injector which would end up basically destroying the pistons so I got a little worried.

I'll talk to the salesman after the holidays and see what he says I was wondering if for some reason it was due to me adding the number one diesel and that just didn't seem to make any sense.

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
At lower ambient temps(10°f) your tractor can emit white smoke until engine gets to operating temp. I seriously doubt an engine with "12 hrs of use" has a stuck injector. If injector is stuck it & engine would be repaired under the tractors warranty

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I will add the few times I’ve seen the white smoke haze was just as the machine was getting to work (after being warmed up from cold start). The outside temp was chilly high 30’s to 40°. And once it cleared, it never came back during that session.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
If it is like a regular engine, it gets hot during running. Then it cools off after use, moisture builds up in the exhaust. When you start it up the exhaust gets hot starting to steam off the moisture. When it is colder moisture builds up faster. This is just me SWAGing an answer.