Which Trans/hydraulic fluid to use

ynot47

Equipment
L405 DT
Aug 15, 2016
Christchurch
Hello all I am in New Zealand and own a very tidy L405 DT approx 1982 model.
I have owned it for 6 months and am gradually working through it changing all fluids oil etc as i like things to be up to scratch.
Any suggestions on which type of fluid/oil to use in the trans would be much appreciated.
Should it be a multi grade engine oil ie 10-40w or trans fluid 46?
Thanks so much. Tony

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
In the USA there are fluids named universal tractor fluid and it is similar to Kubota UDT. It is usually a bit cheaper. It works best for older tractors that use the same fluid for transmission gears ac hydraulics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ynot47

Equipment
L405 DT
Aug 15, 2016
Christchurch
Thanks for the reply and the advise. I have heard of the universal fluid so that might be where i start. Thanks again. Cheers Tony

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
I just got a new bucket of Mile Master 303 Tractor Hydraulic Fluid. How would I know that will work on my L185DT from 1977? The back of the bucket says it's alright to use in mid-1970s tractor models, but I wanted to see if anyone has used this fluid.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I use universal fluid in my L185F. Dealer recommended UDT and I used that once but didn't want to spend so much on change due to having water get into transmission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scotty1111

Equipment
L405 Tractor
Feb 1, 2023
New Zealand
Hello all I am in New Zealand and own a very tidy L405 DT approx 1982 model.
I have owned it for 6 months and am gradually working through it changing all fluids oil etc as i like things to be up to scratch.
Any suggestions on which type of fluid/oil to use in the trans would be much appreciated.
Should it be a multi grade engine oil ie 10-40w or trans fluid 46?
Thanks so much. Tony
hello Tony, How's your L405 going these days ?
I have just posted on another forum with Kiwi l405 owner, as per below. Really need some help with my engine issues.
Pasted below/;

"Hi all,
I appreciate the helpful contributions in this forum. I also own an old L405 tractor, 4wd its great. Its my first tractor and it really suits my new home. Sadly, recent flood events in Northland, NZ caused some issues, and the engine likely needs to be rebuilt .

Im learning its a 'grey' in some markets, and trying to get spares or support or operator or workshop manual is not easy. Engine is marked "V1902 1980". I have so far found your website and comments very helpful and educational.

It has a significant Frame fitted for the FEL, so I'm carefully slowly figuring out how to split the tractor to remove engine. (The forward drive shaft section runs through the split sump) .
If there are any ideas or suggestions available for local parts, engines or knowhow I would be very grateful, otherwise I'll plod away studying YouTube videos"

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Engine is marked "V1902 1980". I have so far found your website and comments very helpful and educational.
Do you have a WSM, AKA service manual, if not send me a PM and I have A WSM that will help you out.

scotty1111

Equipment
L405 Tractor
Feb 1, 2023
New Zealand
Do you have a WSM, AKA service manual, if not send me a PM and I have A WSM that will help you out.
Thank you Wolfman, That sounds Great. I'll PM you......as soon as I figure out how.

I've just noticed the engine markings for digit '9' could also read '2' ? (ie; V1902-a- 1280?). Another marking discovered on the Right side of transmission shows " L405DT 50404"