When you don't use your tractor that much....

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
I am 9 months into ownership of a L3301. Bought it with 206 hours, it now has 236 hours on. So averaging just under 4 hours a month. Not much.

My question is: Is there anything I should be doing differently because I am using it so little? One of my concerns is fuel. I do use a stabilizer of course, and keep the tank topped off, but In that 9 months I don't think I have even gone through a full tank of diesel yet. There is no water in the water separator and the tractor runs great, I just want to keep it that way.

The only other thing I will say is that when I do use the tractor, it gets used enough to run at full temp for at least an hour. No small trips, just only pulling it out of the barn every 2 weeks or so...

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
My little B may sit for weeks between mows in the summer and weeks between snow plows in the winter.
I keep the battery on a trickle charge in the cold weather. I check tire pressure before each use if the tractor sat. Oil , grease done more on a time basis than a hour basis.
Never had an issue, unit is about 36 years old.

Reactions: 1 user

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Engine oil needs to be changed at least once a year, regardless of run hours.

Tires checked for pressure regularly as you use it. Also don't want tractor sitting on flat tire.

Grease by date, not by hours, as grease dries out.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Tires checked for pressure regularly as you use it. Also don't want tractor sitting on flat tire.

Grease by date, not by hours, as grease dries out.
I change the oil on my 16 year old L48 TLB in whatever year the spirit moves me.
Tractor has 258 hours in 16 years.

I walk around before use.
I check the tires when any one looks to be low.

I grease once each year (unless I use it for more than 10 hours).

My L48 lives stored inside a dry unheated building, usually undisturbed, for a minimum 6 month period, and with a maintenance charger attached.
I jack/block up the rear end with hoe for storage.

I add diesel fuel when I need some to keep the tank full, while stored.

All of the above conditions are exactly the same for my sweet little 1989 Ford 1920 FEL.

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade, King Kutter 60" BB
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
I've never gone by the age thing on oil. Not been an issue to date. Your mileage may vary. (-;

Reactions: 2 users

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Treat your fuel with a biocide, so that bacteria doesn't grow in it. It will happen, and clog things up. A biocide, like Powerservice Clear Diesel, will keep it from forming.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Treat your fuel with a biocide, so that bacteria doesn't grow in it. It will happen, and clog things up. A biocide, like Powerservice Clear Diesel, will keep it from forming.
A biocide is certainly a good idea.
I had a trawler in Fl with 900 gallon diesel capacity (sure glad I don't have to pay to fill that thing now).
I used "Biobor" faithfully, as crud grows very quickly in FL hot weather.

I have two diesel tractors in NE, that I add "Stanadyne" to once each year.
They live in my storage building, and I simply try to keep their tanks full to avoid condensation.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
A biocide is certainly a good idea.
I had a trawler in Fl with 900 gallon diesel capacity (sure glad I don't have to pay to fill that thing now).
I used "Biobor" faithfully, as crud grows very quickly in FL hot weather.

I have two diesel tractors in NE, that I add "Stanadyne" to once each year.
They live in my storage building, and I simply try to keep their tanks full to avoid condensation.
Even a full tank can have condensation form in the top, because the tank can't really be filled up to the point that there is zero atmosphere. Bacteria and algae can grow, as long as their is water present. I keep my tanks filled, but I also treat them with biocide to keep crud from forming. I've dealt with it twice, which was two too many.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When you don't use your tractor frequently, make sure that mice don't set up under the hood. I drive my car daily, and it has developed the smell of decaying dead animals. I am certain that a mouse got into the car and died. I use rodent blocks in the summer to keep the mouse population down and frequently find dead mice in the driveway. I have searched the entire car looking for the carcass, and I fear that it is located in the dash. No way to get it out if that is the case. Too many airbags can blow if you mishandle them.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I have searched the entire car looking for the carcass, and I fear that it is located in the dash.
I have found many nests in the cowl under the wipers, or on top of the cabin air filter.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I have a 40 KW standby generator with a 60 gallon tank. I also use its tank as storage for the tractor so it doesn't all just sit for a long period of time but I also treat it with biocide to be safe.

I spent a few weeks in Cuba in 1999 and was traveling from Havana to Cienfuegos in a new Mercedes transit bus. Out in the middle of nowhere the driver stopped on a railroad crossing with the engine shut off. I could see stopping before but not on the crossing so I decided getting off the bus was a good idea. I walked around back and the driver had pulled both fuel filter cartridges and was scraping the slime off with a well-used wooden paddle he kept for that purpose. They couldn't get biocide and couldn't afford to continuously replace filters so at least once each trip he was scraping enough of the slime off to keep the bus running. He told me that bus was less than a year old but I bet the fuel system wouldn't make it to two years with that sort of "maintenance".

And a couple of photos of one of their local tractors for required tractor content :)

Rodger

P0000784.JPG
P0000783.JPG

• Love

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
My truck has a similar life. Sometimes it will sit for weeks on end. While I have never used a biocide, I do religiously use a demulsifier fuel additive. In addition to wringing moisture out it also adds back lubrication to the crappy ULSD. Standyne, Power Service, Howes and Amsoil are all good fuel additives that will work well. I'm just going to go with the same method on the 'Bota.

RBsingl

Equipment
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
My truck has a similar life. Sometimes it will sit for weeks on end. While I have never used a biocide, I do religiously use a demulsifier fuel additive. In addition to wringing moisture out it also adds back lubrication to the crappy ULSD. Standyne, Power Service, Howes and Amsoil are all good fuel additives that will work well. I'm just going to go with the same method on the 'Bota.
One advantage of soy blend diesel is it does add back some of the lubricity lost in the sulfur removal process. Once the additive manufacturers figured out how to make good anti-gel additives for ULSD with soy, it seems to work well but I remember the local school system had a lot of issues when this combination first came out. I also keep Power Service in my standby generator tank but it is installed in part of the barn that is mostly below ground level so even in the coldest weather it barely drops to freezing so fuel gelling isn't likely.

Rodger

Reactions: 2 users

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a 40 KW standby generator with a 60 gallon tank. I also use its tank as storage for the tractor so it doesn't all just sit for a long period of time but I also treat it with biocide to be safe.

I spent a few weeks in Cuba in 1999 and was traveling from Havana to Cienfuegos in a new Mercedes transit bus. Out in the middle of nowhere the driver stopped on a railroad crossing with the engine shut off. I could see stopping before but not on the crossing so I decided getting off the bus was a good idea. I walked around back and the driver had pulled both fuel filter cartridges and was scraping the slime off with a well-used wooden paddle he kept for that purpose. They couldn't get biocide and couldn't afford to continuously replace filters so at least once each trip he was scraping enough of the slime off to keep the bus running. He told me that bus was less than a year old but I bet the fuel system wouldn't make it to two years with that sort of "maintenance".

And a couple of photos of one of their local tractors for required tractor content :)

Rodger

View attachment 84749 View attachment 84750
Cuba is a very special place in so many ways.
Been there!
Done that!

RBsingl

Equipment
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Cuba is a very special place in so many ways.
Been there!
Done that!
I really enjoyed the few weeks I spent there! And coming back to Illinois and landing in a snowstorm was a shock to the system after the warm weather.

Rodger