Wheel Weight Question

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have a BX22 with loaded tires in the rear. I also have wheel weight from an older tractor that will bolt onto the Kubota wheels. Is it acceptable to use these weights in both front and rear for additional stability? thanks

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes in the rear,, in the front that is a pretty gray area,, I wouldnt

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Rear wheels, no question. Early Kubotas came with weight mounting holes on the front wheels, and there were even factory front wheel weights available for some models. But most modern Kubotas come with recommendations to NOT use weights on the front wheels. Perhaps they've learned something over the intervening years.

Last edited:

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
... But most modern Kubotas come with recommendations to NOT use weights on the front wheels. ...
That's odd...never heard that before...

DustyRusty,
I'd say if you want to ballast your front wheels give it a try. Front suitcase weights are another option if you don't have a loader or use something on the front of your tractor that they would interfere with. Here's a good article about the need for ballast and how best to apply it.

https://agtiretalk.com/proper-tractor-ballast-manufacturers-answer/

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Front wheel weights do nothing for stability. The front axle pivots in the center and does not try to hold the tractor down. It also does nothing for ballast if you had something heavy on the back,, unless, it is so heavy that it's picking the front end off the ground. The frame has to start picking the axle up before the wheel weight comes into play. Best to put your ballast on the frame.