Wheel comes off truck and launches car

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
In case you havent seen it check this out:
Probably some 4" wheel spacers from ebay that failed.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I saw a funny meme that put the word "economy" on the black car and the word "democrats" on the white truck. Memes are the best!

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I saw this earlier today .......... WOW - video would be priceless to anyone wanting answers

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
if you pause at 1:32 and look inside the wheel rolling in from behind it looks like a wheel spacer face but maybe thats the rotor

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Tire flips car then rear ends it to finish it off. Insult to injury.

Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I had that happen to me with a semi tire many years back, lucky for me it was just the tire with no rim, still launched me several feet into the air.
And yea I'll guarantee you that person needed new shorts, and probably a doctor visit or two to remove the seat from their back side!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I‘m retired from an industry (aviation) that only allows modifications that are certified/approved by engineering data.…so it’s always been troubling to me that Bubba can modify his pickup truck …(and I suppose this might offend some of you guys…. Sorry) …but tall wheels, jacked-up suspensions, hub-spacers and ghetto-wheels that stick out so far from the fenders that the fenders no longer serve their purpose of preventing rain-soaked spray from destroying the view of cars nearby…. That brake systems no longer are adequate for the larger tires installed by amateurs who think it “looks cool”…. without regard to how those mods affect handling and safe-guards which were built into the OEM vehicle.

I’ve always thought it’d be proper for licensing authorities to deny registration/inspection stickers/plates to vehicles modified without proper engineering safe-guards.

This video is demonstrative of the problem, IMO.

Reactions: 9 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I‘m retired from an industry (aviation) that only allows modifications that are certified/approved by engineering data.…so it’s always been troubling to me that Bubba can modify his pickup truck …(and I suppose this might offend some of you guys…. Sorry) …but tall wheels, jacked-up suspensions, hub-spacers and ghetto-wheels that stick out so far from the fenders that the fenders no longer serve their purpose of preventing rain-soaked spray from destroying the view of cars nearby…. That brake systems no longer are adequate for the larger tires installed by amateurs who think it “looks cool”…. without regard to how those mods affect handling and safe-guards which were built into the OEM vehicle.

I’ve always thought it’d be proper for licensing authorities to deny registration/inspection stickers/plates to vehicles modified without proper engineering safe-guards.

This video is demonstrative of the problem, IMO.

I'm with you. In my home state we have an annual safety inspection. Every state should do the same, and any mods that affect the suspension, steering, or brakes should require some kind of certification.

Your rights end where others' safety begins.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'm with you. In my home state we have an annual safety inspection. Every state should do the same, and any mods that affect the suspension, steering, or brakes should require some kind of certification.

They are finally starting to do that with commercial vehicles here. Farm plated vehicles now have to get annual inspections as well.

I tend to notice that guys pimping their rides also tend to have burnt out headlights/tail lights and likely don't have any money left for things like brakes and maintenance on safety items.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Most states have a host of laws that prohibit tires over a certain size, or width, or sticking out of the fender, or spacers, or excessive bumper height..... They just aren't enforced. Therefore they work as well as the "Drug Free School Zone" signs.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion

We have annual safety inspection in PA, but it is often a joke. They routinely pass the junk like in the video, while doing damage to your vehicle, I could write a book on the stupidity.

In my opinion, the man/child driving the pickup should be sued to the point that he will never have enough money to eat.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Most states have a host of laws that prohibit tires over a certain size, or width, or sticking out of the fender, or spacers, or excessive bumper height..... They just aren't enforced. Therefore they work as well as the "Drug Free School Zone" signs.
They will get right on that right after they get the mufflers back on the Harleys.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Even showed that on the news last night - - that was one heck of a ride....😳

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
We have annual safety inspection in PA, but it is often a joke. They routinely pass the junk like in the video, while doing damage to your vehicle, I could write a book on the stupidity.

In my opinion, the man/child driving the pickup should be sued to the point that he will never have enough money to eat.
Same here. The jalopy in the vid would have passed, but they failed me because my clearance lights in the side mirror are LED (and no DOT markings). I got sick of replacing them every 8 months ago I put LED in.
Then there was the failed wheel bearing on my daughter's car. Right front bearing. No big deal, swapped it out in an afternoon when she came to visit. Dude must have been standing in front of the car and not IN the car. It was the LEFT front bearing! My fault for not verifying first.
So now, I "know a guy" that opened his own shop. Known him since he was a high school freshman. He has seen the Jeeps and motorcycles I've built and knows I do it right. Now I don't have to worry about some donkey pulling stuff apart.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I was driving home from Boston a few years back with my youngest. As we were going through Albany, we were just starting to overtake an 18 wheeler dump truck loaded with gravel. Made it past his rear wheels when my son pointed out his front steer tire wobbling. I hit the brakes and watched that wheel come off , hit the concrete barrier and keep rolling. The driver didn’t miss a beat and put his signal on and slowly pulled off to the right shoulder. When I passed him, he looked like this happened to him every day. Calm and collect. Luckily the wheel did not cross over and came to a stop well down the road. If he had not been full, it may have been a different outcome. Stay safe out there.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
In case you havent seen it check this out:
Probably some 4" wheel spacers from ebay that failed.
While I'm certainly not a fan of ridiculous mods to vehicles that don't add any practical benefit, and I particularly despise this specific kind of mod that I see all too often up here, I think it's far more likely that the lug nuts weren't installed properly. This could have happened with any vehicle and in fact it does happen fairly regularly.

There are many owners or users of vehicles that don't inspect the tread on their tires, don't check tire pressure, never check the torque of the lug nuts, don't check ball joints and on and on.