Wheel comes off truck and launches car

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
While I'm certainly not a fan of ridiculous mods to vehicles that don't add any practical benefit, and I particularly despise this specific kind of mod that I see all too often up here, I think it's far more likely that the lug nuts weren't installed properly. This could have happened with any vehicle and in fact it does happen fairly regularly.

There are many owners or users of vehicles that don't inspect the tread on their tires, don't check tire pressure, never check the torque of the lug nuts, don't check ball joints and on and on.
If thats the rotor we are seeing still attached to the rim, that means the wheel bearing failed and seperated right?

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
If thats the rotor we are seeing still attached to the rim, that means the wheel bearing failed and seperated right?
No. The only thing holding a rotor on is the lug studs and caliper after the wheel comes off. Lose the studs and it can come off with the caliper in place. The bearing doesn't hold the assembly on in a 4x4 (assuming it was).

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
No. The only thing holding a rotor on is the lug studs and caliper after the wheel comes off. Lose the studs and it can come off with the caliper in place. The bearing doesn't hold the assembly on in a 4x4 (assuming it was).
In order for the rotor to stay attached to that wheel its got to have the hub and studs holding it all together. So it must have broke at the wheel hub/bearing. At 00:27 you can see what looks like the rotor still attached to the wheel.

Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
In order for the rotor to stay attached to that wheel its got to have the hub and studs holding it all together. So it must have broke at the wheel hub/bearing. At 00:27 you can see what looks like the rotor still attached to the wheel.
Good eye! It's not until I watched it on a PC that I could see that. Very well could have been the bearing or the 4 bolts that hold the hub/ bearing to the knuckle.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Good eye! It's not until I watched it on a PC that I could see that. Very well could have been the bearing or the 4 bolts that hold the hub/ bearing to the knuckle.
Yes, good eyes indeed. I was able to see what looks like a brake rotor attached to the wheel around 1:37 but couldn't make out part of the hub. If those four bolts that secure the hub/bearing to the knuckle had backed out or broken I would think that more of the wheel hub would be visible. Very odd for sure.