What's the ultimate 3-point sand/salt spreader?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have a Herd Kasco 750S seeder that I bought very much used from an ex-coworker that isn't very good. I used it one winter on the back of the BX and it's a PITA. This winter there were a few days when I would have liked to have been able to spread sand/salt on the common driveway but with only one tractor with a snow blower on the back I wasn't set up to do any gritting. With a second tractor coming, next winter I can have the MX6000 set up with the rear snow blower and front bucket (to load sand/salt mix) and have the M6060 set up with the front snow blade and a rear sand/salt spreader, or the other way around.

I'd really like something that uses hydraulics to adjust the "spray" pattern and figure I should get on this now in preparation for next year given some of the lead times.

So what are you using to put down grit, sand, salt etc.? Do you like what you use? What would you recommend?

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I would recommend moving to a warmer climate. If that isn't an option, then I would use a pull behind drop spreader filled with sand only.

WoodKutter

Equipment
L4600 John Deere 750, John Deere 420
Apr 15, 2022
Vermont and Northern Maine
Hello, you mentioned it's very much used. I have the same unit, maybe in better condition? I I remember correctly there is a different auger than used for seed. Mine at the slowest pto speed I can manage spreads even wet heavy sand well. If you need more info I can try and get a photo.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I would think that an electric actuator would be easier to make work than a hydraulic cylinder and also much less expensive. I do not have a Hurd spreader, but the controls on the spreader that I use move very easily. An electric actuator would move my controls just fine. Very important that your sand is kept dry. Frozen lumps do not work well in any type of a spreader. Pull behind spreaders that rely on the traction of the tires to provide the movement of the internal parts do not work well on ice. The wheels just slide.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I would recommend moving to a warmer climate. If that isn't an option, then I would use a pull behind drop spreader filled with sand only.
I'll look into one of those. Moving away from this part of the country is not in the plan. I walked away from a very well paying job with Ruger because they wanted me to move to AZ. No thanks!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Hello, you mentioned it's very much used. I have the same unit, maybe in better condition? I I remember correctly there is a different auger than used for seed. Mine at the slowest pto speed I can manage spreads even wet heavy sand well. If you need more info I can try and get a photo.
The previous owner had done all manner of mickey mouse alterations to it. I shouldn't have bought it to be honest, but at the current price of those things I should probably get it back to near original state and sell it. Or maybe get it working well and use it. Perhaps I could add hydraulics to it to adjust the trap door and/or dispersion. It came with a auger than bangs around the inside which seems to be a terrible design.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I would think that an electric actuator would be easier to make work than a hydraulic cylinder and also much less expensive. I do not have a Hurd spreader, but the controls on the spreader that I use move very easily. An electric actuator would move my controls just fine. Very important that your sand is kept dry. Frozen lumps do not work well in any type of a spreader. Pull behind spreaders that rely on the traction of the tires to provide the movement of the internal parts do not work well on ice. The wheels just slide.
Very good points. Thanks.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Here's a link to the owner's manual. It looks like hydraulic options are available and the auger I have appears to be the sand/salt auger but it's been modified the original owner. Also, they mention the 750S model being set up for sand "with alterations made to the gear box". I'll call CS on Monday to find out what those modifications are and whether or not the 750 I have has been set up correctly.

It looks like I have some research and possibly some work to do before abandoning the Herd 750 for sand/salt application.