What type of respirator (if any) do you use?

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I'm guilty of spraying the pasture with herbicides and convincing myself, "I'll always keep the wind in my face." Well that doesn't work so well, so I've searched for a respirator on line for future use, and don't seem to find anything especially for herbicides.

Anyone have any recommendations as to brand/type/filter?

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200394122_200394122

You can pick these up on Amazon as well if I'm not mistaken. We get them from Grainger but they are expensive.

I strongly recommend the use of a respirator with the correct filters for pesticide and herbicide spraying. The filters trap the mist. Keep the respirator in a sealed bag when not in use. Or at least the filters.

I also recommend that you use good safety goggles. You could go with a full face respirator but they are hot and very uncomfortable.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you really want protection get the cartridge style mask with a full face glass shield. Dont forget that you can absorb chemicals through your skin and eyes.

If you are a smoker then you probably dont care about your health...switching to filtered cigarettes will clean the air for you.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If you really want protection get the cartridge style mask with a full face glass shield. Dont forget that you can absorb chemicals through your skin and eyes.

If you are a smoker then you probably dont care about your health...switching to filtered cigarettes will clean the air for you.
Filtered cigarettes only provide an indicator to what you are doing to your lungs. Filters do nothing to prevent the exposure to carcinogens and other undocumented additives in cigarette tobacco placed there by the mfr's. - someone who has watched loved-ones suffer for breath as they died.

BTW, if you are spraying hazardous chemical in the wind... you need protective/disposable clothing as much as a respirator.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Well, if we are going all the way here, you'll need Tyvek suit, booties, etc.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Filtered cigarettes only provide an indicator to what you are doing to your lungs. Filters do nothing to prevent the exposure to carcinogens and other undocumented additives in cigarette tobacco placed there by the mfr's. - someone who has watched loved-ones suffer for breath as they died.

BTW, if you are spraying hazardous chemical in the wind... you need protective/disposable clothing as much as a respirator.

Filtered Cig's: Pretty sure that was meant in jest.

Hazardous Chemicals In The Wind: Really? If conditions prevent the chemical from hitting the target, you don't spray at that time. Point taken in regards to needing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE's), though.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

EXACTLY...

I run a pesticide herbicide charcoal filter in my cab (filter filters the air flow) but I wear a 3M respirator as well. No tyvek suit but I'm inside the tractor in a climate controlled atmosphere.

I spray some nasty stuff, Have an agricultrial applicators license issued by the State of Michigan so I buy stuff you cannot buy over the counter at the local farm store. having said that you can buy 2-4-D which is probably as wicked or more wicked than what I buy with my license. I use 2-4-D with Amine to kill broadleaf and burdocks and Lasso to kill Thistle in my hayfields all the time. I use a Fimco 250 gallon 3 point sprayer with twin 15 foot booms and an 8 roller pump. I also apply a foliar innoculant with a boomless Fimco single nozzle with 30 foot coverage. Foliar uptake is quicker than ground application and results in a more robust plant. Still use granular 46 Urea with an inhibitor for in between cuts when I know we will have some precip.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Hate to break your bubble but, just breathing the air, especially in an urban enviroment, you are breathing in all sorts of pollutants.

You inhale crap whether you want to or not. Fact of existence.

Next time someone farts and you smell it, you just inhaled some pollution...:eek:

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Hate to break your bubble but, just breathing the air, especially in an urban enviroment, you are breathing in all sorts of pollutants.

You inhale crap whether you want to or not. Fact of existence.

Next time someone farts and you smell it, you just inhaled some pollution...:eek:

So, respirators 24/7 is the recommendation? If the size of the sprayer is what counts, how about an Apache 1720 with an 80' suspended boom or the good old Flexicoil 67XL with a 120' wheeled boom. Those are 1,200 and 1,500 gallons, respectively.

I think the least healthful/highest risk scenario is anyone running a sprayer off a ATV/UTV. Likely to be the least informed operators out there. Causing harm and blissfully unaware. Hat's off to the OP for attempting to get some info.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
just get the 3m ones with the ciggy hole.

OP, this mask was for painting fumes I dont know what you need but Round Up causes cancer so dont use that stuff.

zload

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2400HSD/47 John Deere Model M
Apr 14, 2015
FL

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
EXACTLY...

I run a pesticide herbicide charcoal filter in my cab (filter filters the air flow) but I wear a 3M respirator as well. No tyvek suit but I'm inside the tractor in a climate controlled atmosphere.

I spray some nasty stuff, Have an agricultrial applicators license issued by the State of Michigan so I buy stuff you cannot buy over the counter at the local farm store. having said that you can buy 2-4-D which is probably as wicked or more wicked than what I buy with my license. I use 2-4-D with Amine to kill broadleaf and burdocks and Lasso to kill Thistle in my hayfields all the time. I use a Fimco 250 gallon 3 point sprayer with twin 15 foot booms and an 8 roller pump. I also apply a foliar innoculant with a boomless Fimco single nozzle with 30 foot coverage. Foliar uptake is quicker than ground application and results in a more robust plant. Still use granular 46 Urea with an inhibitor for in between cuts when I know we will have some precip.
These have been banned in europe for more than a decade. :eek:

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
These have been banned in europe for more than a decade. :eek:
Over here the Social Security Administration is going broke. We need to thin the Herd to keep it afloat.

To the OP it is a no win situation. Think about what OSHA would require you wear at the work place. Nobody wants to wear enough PPE to adequately protect themselves. Especially at the homestead.

P.S. Check the MSDS that will give you an eye opener.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Over here the Social Security Administration is going broke. We need to thin the Herd to keep it afloat.
All we need do to save Social Security is kill the upper limit on income that exempts them from contributing. What a crock that is... If someone earns more than $128,400 they owe no social sec. tax on that. AND... SS tax is only applicable to earnings based upon LABOR.
I think rich people who make their income based upon Capital Gains and investments/inheritance-income (not their inheritance, but any increase from investment of that inheritance such as trusts, etc) should be paying into the system. There should be NO FREE RIDES.

(standing by with my Nomex firesuit on)

Last edited: