What to look for in buying used loader

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Just curious if loader is not on tractor what you look for when buying a used loader?

No obvious breaks where re welded.
How do you make sure all is well with it?
What are the big ticket items. The valve? but if it's off the tractor? How to make sure it's good?

Thanks!

- Mike

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Mike, if you're installing it on your L1500, first thing be sure it fits! How wide is it? Will it allow room for the hood, but not so much. Where are the towers (arms coming up with the valve on one of them) located in relation to the mounting bolt/holes on your tractor?

No way to check the valve if it's not hooked up. Have to quiz the owner, asking how long he's owned it, why he's selling, what he liked about it, didn't like about it. Ask what he know about the valve? The more unknows, the lower the price!!

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Mike, if you're installing it on your L1500, first thing be sure it fits! How wide is it? Will it allow room for the hood, but not so much. Where are the towers (arms coming up with the valve on one of them) located in relation to the mounting bolt/holes on your tractor?

No way to check the valve if it's not hooked up. Have to quiz the owner, asking how long he's owned it, why he's selling, what he liked about it, didn't like about it. Ask what he know about the valve? The more unknows, the lower the price!!

Thanks. I probably won't get it but like to be prepared if one pops up again. It's a koyker 110 that I saw on Craigslist. The mount is for a l175 I'd probably have to find a better way mount it up if I got it. I also asked koyker about a brand new koyker 80 today but haven't heard back yet. My guess is that runs 2.5 -3k but they say an 80 fits a 1500

Loader and valve is 1.4k used. Like I said I'd probably have to find a way to mount it. I downloaded these from cl. Not sure if that is allowed but hate when I run across cl posts on here already taken down.

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston

Also thanks for the info. I thought probably no way to check the valve but you never know. Roll the dice to some degree if they are a good liar or not. Thanks!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I bought a Massey loader to put on an L305 a couple of years ago. It had some junk iron with it that was called a mount for a Ford tractor. It was someone's idea, not factory.

I made the entire mount to fit my tractor. It's a project, takes some time. If you enjoy that kind of fabrication, challenge and the personal satisfaction I say go for it. But you need to be confident of your welding and fabing skills or have someone you can rely on to help with it.

I ended up replacing the joystick valve I got with the loader after a year because I rebuilt it twice and the parts were from Italy (Nimco) and information was scarce. Cost of new valve was like $325. But the torn boot on the other valve was like $70 alone!

Here's an idea of how I proceeded. I was working outside so I rigged up an "A" frame to hang the loader from so I could get measurements.

Attachments

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
But you need to be confident of your welding and fabing skills or have someone you can rely on to help with it.
Hahaha. Have yet to weld or fabricate anything! Maybe this is my entry. This would me being in over my head like most of my life [emoji3] but how else do you learn! What I need to make sure of like you said that it fits. So me being prepared, as you mentioned, would be.

Take relevant dimensions make sure parts clear and will fit.
I should expect to make my own mount unless it came off same tractor.

Here's an idea of how I proceeded. I was working outside so I rigged up an "A" frame to hang the loader from so I could get measurements.
That's a good idea. I like it. Loaders look good there.

Thanks!

- Mike

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I have a friend who is "studying" a CAD program. He's been doing this for at least two years. He keeps offering to download it onto my computer so I can have good drawing of what I make. He makes nothing! Just studies!

I told him I already have a CAD program. So the other day he brought this up again when I asked him what he's been doing. He wanted to see it.

It's usually in a spiral notebook to begin with. Most of these I had to go over the sketch with a dark pen so I could take a picture and send to others to get advise/opinions.

Point is, you don't need anything fancy!

Attachments