What to fill rear tires with

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Why all our county spreader trucks have stainless boxes....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I don’t doubt the soil compaction issue at all though I am not a farmer. I would assume that would come down to weight, tire pressure, tread pattern and maybe the tire stiffness.

I am and it is. Soil compaction is number one and crop damage is number 2. In fact most producers around here have either switched to tracked tractors (Kubota had one a few years back, don't know if they still do. ) Tillage machines here, if not tracked will run duals, front and rear and radials because radials have a softer sidewall and a wider tread footprint. I'm about to re shoe one of my M9's and it's getting R1 radials. Just have to save up my pennies. 4 in my size are almost 6 grand.

Both mine are FWA but I very, very rarely engage the front wheel assist. I may if I'm pulling stumps or using the loader to move dirt but thats it. I've even been considering pulling the front prop shaft on one.

Dippybird

Equipment
L2900
Jun 21, 2020
Ma
Why all our county spreader trucks have stainless boxes....
I am not sure what your question is. Nacl that they spread on the roads around here does add to the corrosive properties of water on iron. As does cacl. There is not any disputing that. Some of the spreaders have gone to plastic around here. I personally put cacl in an inner tube in my tire. It has had that for about 25 years (it was done long before I had it). There was some surface rust inside the rim and rot around the valve stem. I don’t think they were caused by the cacl. The pattern of surface rust was where the inner tube would probably trap moisture from outside. If had cacl inside the tire without and inner tube the oxidation proses does require oxygen. Once it is used up it should almost stop. I have not tried this myself.

Dippybird

Equipment
L2900
Jun 21, 2020
Ma
I am and it is. Soil compaction is number one and crop damage is number 2. In fact most producers around here have either switched to tracked tractors (Kubota had one a few years back, don't know if they still do. ) Tillage machines here, if not tracked will run duals, front and rear and radials because radials have a softer sidewall and a wider tread footprint. I'm about to re shoe one of my M9's and it's getting R1 radials. Just have to save up my pennies. 4 in my size are almost 6 grand.

Both mine are FWA but I very, very rarely engage the front wheel assist. I may if I'm pulling stumps or using the loader to move dirt but thats it. I've even been considering pulling the front prop shaft on one.
As a farmer I would think some of the fertilizers would be pretty rough on the rims and potentially the rest of the tractor. Is that a problem?

GEP

Jun 16, 2010
Benton Harbor, Mi
I've also seen windshield washer fluid suggested. I do appreciate you sharing your story. It is definitely food for thought.
If you fill the tires your self I would use nothing but beet juice it has the most weight and is none corrosive . What ever you do don't use chloride it will eat up you valve stem and create a leak and before you know it you have a rusted rim or maybe a rim that is beyond repair. Bean there. Washer fluid will work make sure its rated for 30 below

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
As a farmer I would think some of the fertilizers would be pretty rough on the rims and potentially the rest of the tractor. Is that a problem?

They are, especially 46 granulated urea. I make it a habit, soon as I get done, to blow everything off with an air hose followed by a good pressure washing.

Dippybird

Equipment
L2900
Jun 21, 2020
Ma
If you fill the tires your self I would use nothing but beet juice it has the most weight and is none corrosive . What ever you do don't use chloride it will eat up you valve stem and create a leak and before you know it you have a rusted rim or maybe a rim that is beyond repair. Bean there. Washer fluid will work make sure its rated for 30 below
My initial plan was the beat juice unfortunately I could not find someone near me that would sell it to me in a container. They would only fill the tire which I was worried would be a little unruly for me to handle once filled. According to the previous owner the tractor had had cacl in it for 25 years but I am sure that had gotten a couple flat tires so I can’t say how old the inner tubes are. The tube manufacturer claims they are fine for filling with cacl but you maybe right. That maybe what goes first. I will definitely look at the windshield washer fluid next time.