What tire pressure to run? -BX- Loaded rear tires

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
Hey guys, I have a 2013 bx2370 with a LA340 loader, I typically run it with the loader on and in the winter time I’ll have a loader on it with a 5’ back blade.. in the summer time I typically just run it with the loader and 60” mower deck on it or just the mower deck with no loader.

I know in the manual I think it says 20 for the front at 17 for the rear from what I remember but I don’t think it specifies if you have loaded rear tires.

I ask this because I know how important tire pressure can be specially with how tire pressure can affect traction, deck height, and stability.

I’m curious to what you guys are running for air pressure.

Typically in the winter months I use my bx for plowing and moving snow with the loader and back blade.. in the summer I use it for hauling dirt and mowing.

Like I said my back tires are filled/loaded with beet juice.

What do you guys recommend for a good all around tire pressure for front and rear? Don’t be afraid to be specific as I wouldn’t be surprised if I was better off having a lower tire pressure in the winter than say in the summer months.

Thanks guys!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Despite loaded tires - the psi will remain the same, there is still 25% of air in the tire, thus 18-20 psi will still be the same.

Sometimes it is better to let a little out for grip in mud/snow or add some for FEL work.

Those tires I just got that you recommended - I have 18 psi in them now, max on tire is 20. Not sure where my happy spot is - I would imagine it is somewhere between 15 and 18...time will tell.

I checked my rears last night - cold, they were a little sad, something like 13 ish, I bumped them back to 18 psi - those chains tightened up nicely too!

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I too, run pressures as suggested in the manual, checked with the tires (turfs) off the ground. All four of mine are loaded, though I do not think it adds much weight to the fronts at all.
My concern with my little BX25D and those small fronts is rolling a bead and losing all pressure. So I feel 'safer' with them aired up.

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Recommended pressure depends on tire type. Per the manual for the BX2370

Turf tires
front: 17 psi
rear: 14 psi

Industrial or bar tires
front: 22 psi
rear: 17 psi

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
Despite loaded tires - the psi will remain the same, there is still 25% of air in the tire, thus 18-20 psi will still be the same.

Sometimes it is better to let a little out for grip in mud/snow or add some for FEL work.

Those tires I just got that you recommended - I have 18 psi in them now, max on tire is 20. Not sure where my happy spot is - I would imagine it is somewhere between 15 and 18...time will tell.

I checked my rears last night - cold, they were a little sad, something like 13 ish, I bumped them back to 18 psi - those chains tightened up nicely too!
Awesome man glad to hear! How are you liking the tires so far?

Also thanks for the info man. Yah I’m running between 18-20 now so I guess what I’ll do is the same as you.. just kind of get a feel for it and see what dpi works best for the applications.. thanks for your input man

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
Recommended pressure depends on tire type. Per the manual for the BX2370

Turf tires
front: 17 psi
rear: 14 psi

Industrial or bar tires
front: 22 psi
rear: 17 psi
Got it. Yah I saw this in the manual and that’s what I had mine set to, 22-17 but I wasn’t sure if the loaded tires would make a difference in what I should run my pressures at but now I know it doesn’t have any effect.

Tbanks guys for your help

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Old thread, so sorry for pulling it out of the basement, but I have a question regarding this information.

After getting my tractor back from the dealer (they had it for service), all four of my tires were filled to between 33 and 35 psi, this is over 2x what is recommended in the manual, and well over the max tire pressure stated on the sidewalls of the tires. I've dropped them down to the 'max' pressure on the sidewall, but should I drop them down to the stated F-17psi and R-14psi? Was there a reason the dealer would have hyper-inflated the tires, laziness, oversight, new information they may have?

Thanks!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Old thread, so sorry for pulling it out of the basement, but I have a question regarding this information.

After getting my tractor back from the dealer (they had it for service), all four of my tires were filled to between 33 and 35 psi, this is over 2x what is recommended in the manual, and well over the max tire pressure stated on the sidewalls of the tires. I've dropped them down to the 'max' pressure on the sidewall, but should I drop them down to the stated F-17psi and R-14psi? Was there a reason the dealer would have hyper-inflated the tires, laziness, oversight, new information they may have?

Thanks!

The only reason to fill them THAT high would be to seat the bead - since you did not have tires replaced, none of that makes sense.

IF you are loading up your FEL - then I would run max on the front end.... whatever that is....

IF you are not loading the rear with something heavy nor the front end - I would run them about 3/4 of max on the sidewall of the tire. YOU will find a "flatter" tire does not jar you around in the seat and keeps your teeth in your head!!!

My guess is the guy at the shop had a defective PSI gauge!

Reactions: 1 user

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
The only reason to fill them THAT high would be to seat the bead - since you did not have tires replaced, none of that makes sense.

IF you are loading up your FEL - then I would run max on the front end.... whatever that is....

IF you are not loading the rear with something heavy nor the front end - I would run them about 3/4 of max on the sidewall of the tire. YOU will find a "flatter" tire does not jar you around in the seat and keeps your teeth in your head!!!

My guess is the guy at the shop had a defective PSI gauge!
The FEL does get used quite a bit at the moment with snow, and the rear has the SB1051 on it (~400 lbs). The pressure that was in there did cause a lot of slippage, which makes sense, I'll give this next round of snow a shot with the tires at around the max stated psi and see how that performs. I'm pretty sensitive to tire pressure with bicycles, so totally get the low pressure = better grip (to a point), just surprised that it was returned from the dealer with such high pressure (I didn't check it when it came back, it had been a couple of weeks, so they likely filled them even higher ~40 psi or so). Just wanted to make sure the dealer didn't have a new crystal ball moment... +1 to doing my own maintenance, then I'll know.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Front tires should be at or near max for loader work. Not much downside to max pressure in fronts as they dont affect ride quality as much, and because they are narrower their shape distorts less with pressure. With wide bias ply rear tires if you overinflate them the tread area will distort in a way that you are mostly riding on the center of the tread, and your ride quality will be affected. If running tubes you can get away with very low rear pressures but if no tube i would probably not go lower than 10psi and how much you go OVER 10 is mostly down to preference.

Reactions: 1 user