What mistakes we sometimes make as “Noobies” when buying equipment

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The thread which discussed waiting-periods for a grapple after up-front payment prompted me to reveal my learning-curve on tractor and implement buying.

Prelude:
Firstly, I was not new to tractor ownership when I bought my Kubota. For 15 years I mowed my 27 acres of grass runways using a little 9N Ford and a shredder. The 9N was given to me because it did not run....it knocked like field artillery. I found the #1 cylinder has dropped its’ sleeve down into the sump...so I re-sleeved the engine using parts bought online that included new pistons, rings, and conn-rod bearings. I converted it to a 12V alternator, rebuilt the hyd. pump, replaced the rotted-out front wheels and I ran that little Ford HARD for 15 years and gave it back to the person who donated it to me years earlier. (He sold it on CL for $2K shortly thereafter, but I had gotten 15 years of great service from that little investment in parts/labor.)

Hogs showed up in the area and destroyed my grass runways to the point they were unuseable.... it was difficult to drive the TRACTOR on such deeply destroyed ground.... much less try to use it with a little Cessna on 6:00 X 6 tires. I began shopping for implements to repair the runway when the local Kubota salesman came out, looked at my runways and announced that he thought I neeeded a 50 HP tractor, disc-harrow, tiller, and land-plane to make the repairs.

Of course the price of new tractors sent me searching for a good used 50 HP diesel...which began my association with a Kubota M4700 and THIS OTT site gave me the guidance I needed to select that particular model.... as one of the Last made that had no EPA equipment on it. The feedback I got was to the effect that the M4700 was one of the last and better, more reliable of simple “utility“ models made by Kubota. I have found that to be correct. However....

Story:
When I was shopping for a lightly-used diesel tractor I found Two of the M4700DT within 20 miles of my house, both with less than 400 hrs on them, and both equipped the same except that one priced at $17K and the other at $20K but which had a grapple.

At the time I couldn’t imagine needing a grapple and when I suggested that to the seller the $20K seller offered to reduce the price by $1K. I didn’t think that was worth pursuing.... and I bought the $17K tractor.

NOw, three years later... I have occasionally realized that the grapple-equipped tractor certainly would have been an excellent value, ...if only I had a use for a grapple. The addt’l hydraulics up-front and the grapple itself certainly worth the $3K difference in price! IF ONLY I HAD A NEED FOR A GRAPPLE!

I spent $1500 for pallet forks and found they do everything I’ve needed so-far... I have cut down limbs and brush and scooped them up with the forks and carried them to the burn-pile. There have been some truly large piles of brush I’ve moved with those forks and only once or twice have I left the seat to secure a really loose bunch with a bungee when I had a long ways to carry the pile.

Anyway... I’m just sayin’..... I think if I’d spent the addt’l $3K for the grapple it would have been a smarter buy.....IF I NEEDED A GRAPPLE.

For those of you still out there shopping for a tractor and implements.... don’t go overboard buying stuff you only THINK might be cool to have... only to let it sit around outside gathering dust and rust.... like my Land-Plane which seemed a good idea and which i’ve only used once in a test and never again. Or the tiller I bought and sold a year later at a $1K loss. Or the disc-harrow I sold at the same time for another $1K loss. (Bought those because a tractor salesman told me I needed them when he saw the grass runway I was attempting to recover from hog damage. Both, completely useless on turf. What solved my torn up runway was a good rain followed two days later by rolling with a used, 14,000-lb diesel compactor-roller. The roller cost me $7K. The three implements I’ve never found useful for the task cost $7500.... which is another “heads-up” to shoppers.... Your tractor salesman doesn’t necessarily know what he’s talking about when he tells you “what you need”.)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Great story and good info! Thanks for sharing!

Had I listened solely to the first tractor salesman I met, I would have purchased a BX and a rear rotary mower. While this combination would have worked for a very short period of time, it would have been a poor investment overall.

Mike

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Well put Geo :)
This is my 3rd Kubota tho there were gaps between tractor ownership. For me its always been the problem of not knowing what to ask. I had backhoes on the 1st two but realized when I was shopping around last year I really didn't NEED one.
At this point in my life if I find a need for an implement I buy it - good condition used if possible. Although I may not need a specific one a lot, I plan on donating them to my #2 son in MD. The tiller is a great example. I decided to redo my lawn myself and needed a tiller. I look at it as a learning opportunity (I just received Scott's lawn book that a poster here recommended).
I think it comes down to trust when a seller suggests something. Brian at FitRite has my complete trust. Because of him I now know at least 'something' about hydraulics and have the satisfaction of installing my top n tilt and remote valves.
I'm not doing this for a living, hobby obsession is a good description (like several of my hobbies obsessions).

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Figure out the tractor YOU think is right......just perfect for your property and then buy one size larger!

Reactions: 1 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I got a backhoe when I bought mine. Not because I had a use for it, but because (a) I was able to roll it into the purchase and (b) I figured that if I had it I would probably find uses for it. Sure 'nuff I did.
The only other thing I got at that time was the land plane for my road.

I have a disk harrow now that I've only used a couple times, and probably won't use again. But I'm not sure how I might have anticipated that change. I think that can be the challenge: how do you anticipate the possible changes in your use?

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Looked at a L2601 at the same time I looked at the used B3200 which I bought. I got the B with 80 hrs on it along with a new Woods RC5 brush hog and a new 4’ box blade for quite a bit less than the new L by itself. But…. The L had the SSQA and the B did not. At the time I couldn’t see the need for the SSQA and the price difference along with low hours was too much to pass up. Now I wish I had it. I will put one on later this year and even with the cost for the SSQA and modifying the bucket I’m still way ahead of the cost of the new L and two attachments.
It’s a live and learn thing. Never owning a tractor I didn’t know what I didn’t know and the dealer did not push the issue. Things like extra hydraulics can be added as the need arises. Grapple? Nice to have with 10 acres of woods but I’m getting by so far, that and not having inside storage for attachments. I hate storing stuff outside. Barn first, more toys after that.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@GeoHorn, great thread that is applicable to so many aspects in life.

Short version: I should have bought a bigger tractor five years ago, and should have bought an MX with a cab four months ago. I'm still making bad choices!

My Kubota journey started with a BX25DBL in June of 2016 with lots of implements. At the time I didn't know what I needed other than the ability to cut grass, remove snow from the driveway and parking areas, spray for weeds and move some dirt around. The manager at the local Kubota dealership has become a friend over the past five years and he pushed me towards the BX even though I wanted a B or L series with more power, plus they look like "real" tractors! I do think that he was looking out for me and gave me good advice based on what he knew about my needs, which in all honesty I probably didn't convey too well. Eventually I walked away with a BX and lots of implements, many of which saw limited use but I have few regrets.

This past February I bought a new MX6000 ROPs model with the idea that I would keep the BX as well. I still kick myself for not buying the cab model, but at the time I felt that the MX was extravagant enough and that I couldn't justify having a BX25 and an MX6000 with a cab. Had I known that only a few months later I would be selling the BX I would most certainly have opted for the cab model. It's not so much the cold or the heat that's annoying, it's the dust when running the rotary cutter. I was cutting for a few hours on Sunday and it was much less dusty than a few months ago but still dusty enough that a cab would be nice, really nice.

I stop by the local dealership regularly to pick up parts, talk about the next implement I want to buy etc., but also to talk about an MX6000 with a cab. I really like this MX and will use it a lot this summer, fall and winter and will decide next year whether or not I want to trade it in for the cab model. As for implements, you can never have too many. I don't underestimate the value of convenience, and I don't own a tractor or implements to make money. They're a luxury that allow me to complete jobs or projects in my own time, work when I feel like it and take on projects that would be near impossible without such equipment. Completing projects to the best of my ability is a source of pleasure, expanding the scope of projects and visions of what might be because of the tools we have is hard to quantify but it's a very big deal. Not being beholden to anyone, not being dependent on someone else's schedule, not needing to rent equipment, and being able to take care of my own crap are worth the price of admission to me. I'm ok with having implements sit or see limited use as long as they do what I need when I need.

In addition to the HD bucket that came with the tractor I have an hydraulic angle snow blade, a box blade, a rear blade, pallet forks, a rock bucket, a rotary cutter, a seeder/sander, and a sprayer. I also have a grapple, tooth bar and grading or land plane on order. I probably shouldn't have bought the rear blade when I bought the tractor but I was able to do a nice job with it on the common driveway a few months back. Once the land plane gets here I might sell the rear blade, or maybe not.

I find myself wanting a hay field so that I can justify an haybine, tedder and bailer. Now that's messed up!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
@GeoHorn, great thread that is applicable to so many aspects in life.

Short version: I should have bought a bigger tractor five years ago, and should have bought an MX with a cab four months ago. I'm still making bad choices!

My Kubota journey started with a BX25DBL in June of 2016 with lots of implements. At the time I didn't know what I needed other than the ability to cut grass, remove snow from the driveway and parking areas, spray for weeds and move some dirt around. The manager at the local Kubota dealership has become a friend over the past five years and he pushed me towards the BX even though I wanted a B or L series with more power, plus they look like "real" tractors! I do think that he was looking out for me and gave me good advice based on what he knew about my needs, which in all honesty I probably didn't convey too well. Eventually I walked away with a BX and lots of implements, many of which saw limited use but I have few regrets.

This past February I bought a new MX6000 ROPs model with the idea that I would keep the BX as well. I still kick myself for not buying the cab model, but at the time I felt that the MX was extravagant enough and that I couldn't justify having a BX25 and an MX6000 with a cab. Had I known that only a few months later I would be selling the BX I would most certainly have opted for the cab model. It's not so much the cold or the heat that's annoying, it's the dust when running the rotary cutter. I was cutting for a few hours on Sunday and it was much less dusty than a few months ago but still dusty enough that a cab would be nice, really nice.

I stop by the local dealership regularly to pick up parts, talk about the next implement I want to buy etc., but also to talk about an MX6000 with a cab. I really like this MX and will use it a lot this summer, fall and winter and will decide next year whether or not I want to trade it in for the cab model. As for implements, you can never have too many. I don't underestimate the value of convenience, and I don't own a tractor or implements to make money. They're a luxury that allow me to complete jobs or projects in my own time, work when I feel like it and take on projects that would be near impossible without such equipment. Completing projects to the best of my ability is a source of pleasure, expanding the scope of projects and visions of what might be because of the tools we have is hard to quantify but it's a very big deal. Not being beholden to anyone, not being dependent on someone else's schedule, not needing to rent equipment, and being able to take care of my own crap are worth the price of admission to me. I'm ok with having implements sit or see limited use as long as they do what I need when I need.

In addition to the HD bucket that came with the tractor I have an hydraulic angle snow blade, a box blade, a rear blade, pallet forks, a rock bucket, a rotary cutter, a seeder/sander, and a sprayer. I also have a grapple, tooth bar and grading or land plane on order. I probably shouldn't have bought the rear blade when I bought the tractor but I was able to do a nice job with it on the common driveway a few months back. Once the land plane gets here I might sell the rear blade, or maybe not.

I find myself wanting a hay field so that I can justify an haybine, tedder and bailer. Now that's messed up!
If you would have grown up putting up 3or 4 thousand squares a year it might have cured you of that...

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If you would have grown up putting up 3or 4 thousand squares a year it might have cured you of that...
Round bales, bale spike, done .... according to YouTube at least! :)

I did help my dad many years ago with square bales and it was long, tough days for a 9 year old. Nothing like 3 to 4 thousand a year, not for me at anyway.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I recently acquired a 6 foot Gill/Maletti tiller and a Massey Ferguson Model 62 2-16 moldboard plow that I have no use for...right now. I view such things as inexpensive assets to have on hand for when I need them and they look cool lined up in the back yard. Also gives me fun projects during the summer months cleaning and painting them occasionally. The stuff that gets frequent use are the pallet forks, rotary cutter, rear scraper blade and grapple. I've rarely used the material bucket on the loader but felt the need to have one.

As far as relying on what the salesman thinks I need, I have taken a different approach. I take all my hopes and dreams of the future and think about them every day for years, performing each task over and over in my mind and analyzing the whole process from start to finish. I identify each job and how big of a tractor, implement, etc. I would need to perform said job. Next I compile all the data and then start looking at tractors and equipment that meets the need. Lastly, I buy a Kubota M5660 and get to work!

I've used this process for my truck, travel trailer, equipment trailer and pretty much any other major expense.

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
Looked at a L2601 at the same time I looked at the used B3200 which I bought. I got the B with 80 hrs on it along with a new Woods RC5 brush hog and a new 4’ box blade for quite a bit less than the new L by itself. But…. The L had the SSQA and the B did not. At the time I couldn’t see the need for the SSQA and the price difference along with low hours was too much to pass up. Now I wish I had it. I will put one on later this year and even with the cost for the SSQA and modifying the bucket I’m still way ahead of the cost of the new L and two attachments.
It’s a live and learn thing. Never owning a tractor I didn’t know what I didn’t know and the dealer did not push the issue. Things like extra hydraulics can be added as the need arises. Grapple? Nice to have with 10 acres of woods but I’m getting by so far, that and not having inside storage for attachments. I hate storing stuff outside. Barn first, more toys after that.
LOL on the SSQA.

As a new owner, I was advised several times “You really want the SSQA.”. I took that good advice.

Yesterday as I was finishing a small task and was putting the tractor up, realized that I nearly always end up switching attachments at some point during a job(s).

It occurred to me that the quick attach is the pinnacle of human ingenuity. ;)

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Question for the OP: HAVE YOU FOUND A USE FOR A GRAPPLE IF YOU DID INDEED HAVE A GRAPPLE?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dont go cheap , and one size larger than you think you want