What lies Beneath!

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I’m curious as to how many of you may have found rust under your floor mats. I’m sure there may be some that’s never taken the mat up but you may want to check on it.

I have only 23 hours on mine so not much to worry about at this time but if left alone I could see this corroding quicker than wanted. Other than removing fairly often and cleaning and waxing it, I don’t know what else you could do. The back of the mat is cleated and there are holes in floor board for drainage but mine was still holding water days later.

Just something to think about if you have not ever taken it off. Much easier with Auto body & interior panel tools. Those suckers were tight and I would have destroyed them without that tool. Not that you can’t replace them cheap enough but just one more thing to have to remember to get.
BX2680
7E6EAB98-571D-4B5B-A282-3769156C95DF.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Well that's concerning. I will certainly check mine.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Yea.
Northeast=snow, salt sprays + me snowblowing and driving down the road.
I should lift up my mats like yesterday and fix this.
wait, who my kidding, forecast is for a foot of snow in the next 24 hours, lol

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I took my floor mat off my BX about three years ago - cleaned the area up a bit - sprayed some of the "bed liner" spray down and then bought the heavier mat that I saw first on a Paul Short video...... I like the thicker mat a lot better than the OEM.

I think the thicker mats became a standard sometime after the BX25D's first couple of years.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have a RTV-X900 which has a rubber mat across the floor and I’ve heard other RTV owners complain about their floorboards rusting out as the result. I was thinking about removing it and inspecting/cleaning the area up... the mat only seems attached with plastic buttons, so it should be fairly straightforward.

However, your mentioning truck-bed-spray seems a great solution... Maybe I don’t really need a mat if I do that.... Hmmmnnn.

gened14

Equipment
Kubota B26 TLB, ZD 1211, ZG23, Allis Chalmers D17 series IV, Allis Chalmers 170
Jul 7, 2014
Tennessee
I also used spray on bed liner on the floor of my B26. Works good.
I have also used it on my antique tractors on the floors and also to coat the inside of their tool boxes.

Steve Neul

Equipment
B5200
Jun 3, 2017
Terrell, TX
I would think if you had only 23 hours on the tractor Kubota would warranty it.

If you are going to take care of it yourself, if the metal is rusting you need to strip the paint down to the metal and use an epoxy primer and then paint it. You won't have anymore problems with rust.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
good timing on the question, I washed My machine the other day and was contemplating pulling the rubber off and washing under it. What type of anti-rust spray I could use that won’t mess with the rubber? I did debate on cleaning it and coating It with por15.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Yea.
Northeast=snow, salt sprays + me snowblowing and driving down the road.
I should lift up my mats like yesterday and fix this.
wait, who my kidding, forecast is for a foot of snow in the next 24 hours, lol
Really.. snow.. it’s been so nice here I forgot that we could get it in May. Not likely but I have seen it!

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I would think if you had only 23 hours on the tractor Kubota would warranty it.

If you are going to take care of it yourself, if the metal is rusting you need to strip the paint down to the metal and use an epoxy primer and then paint it. You won't have anymore problems with rust.
Sorry if my post was misleading.. mine doesn’t have rust but I could see where it could easily rust without some attention.
Thanks for the suggestion on the fix!
If I ever need it.. hopefully not!

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I took my floor mat off my BX about three years ago - cleaned the area up a bit - sprayed some of the "bed liner" spray down and then bought the heavier mat that I saw first on a Paul Short video...... I like the thicker mat a lot better than the OEM.

I think the thicker mats became a standard sometime after the BX25D's first couple of years.
Good idea with spray liner, and I think mine does have a heavier mat. I did see Paul installing one on something.

Steve Neul

Equipment
B5200
Jun 3, 2017
Terrell, TX
Sorry if my post was misleading.. mine doesn’t have rust but I could see where it could easily rust without some attention.
Thanks for the suggestion on the fix!
If I ever need it.. hopefully not!
I thought I could see some rust in spots in the picture. Depending on how the metal was finished rust can spread out under the paint and get bigger than what you see. This is the benefit of epoxy primer. If there is a scratch or damage to the paint down to the metal the rust would be isolated to the scratch.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I was trying to show the puddles of water plus there was some dry dirt along with a little mud. It looks new again but you can tell where the most used spot is.. and that’s where you place your foot for upward approach.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Not sure if Kubota stamps their own sheet metal or if they outsource, but in dream world, it'd be nice if they would offer floor pans in a good grade stainless steel.