What Kubota model works best for my use?

PJr.

Oct 15, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida
I am purchasing 125 acres of planted pines and hardwood bottoms for recreation and game management. I want to go in a clear-out some of the larger limbs and small tree trunks that have fallen before I burn. I will keep the underbrush mowed in some areas to allow better views of the deer and turkey.
It has a mostly grassy road network that I plan to mow with a rotary mower.
It has a 4 acre pond that I will want to keep well mowed right to the waters edge.
I also will want to prep/plant 3 three acre food plots.

Now you know what I plan to use the tractor I purchase for.
I want 4WD, HST, no cab, FEL and likely 6' wide implements.

I'm open to all thoughts and opinions on which model Kubota to consider along with recomendations on particular implements and manufacturers for my implements.

I'm a newbie to tractors since It's been 30 years since I've operated one.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Sounds like one of the Grand L series would work.

You won't need the M series since there is not extensive ground engaging work planned and the accompanying HP is not necessary.

The B might be a bit too small and the BX is out of the question.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I agree with GWD. Going by your list of needs will run a B series into the ground before you make it to the back 40. Keep us updated on your choice.

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
Sounds like an L3400 would be worked to the max. I have an L3410 GST and I push the limits of what it is capable of every time I use it, and I am doing what you are talking about using it for. The HST is nice, but for heavy duty type work you would probably be better off with a GST. A 6' bushhog in thick grass would push the limits of an L3400 too, a 5' would be a better choice unless you go to a bigger tractor. 66" box scrap maximum for an L3400. Stay away from the B3200, you will destroy it in no time clearing property like that.

Also something to consider, many tractors have ended up in the pond when the banks gave away, or the ground gave away around them. If you want to mow to the waters edge, you probably should look at getting an offset cutter, or backing the bushhog to the edge.

Another thing to think about, you are probably not going to be a happy camper after clearing the property with a new tractor, because the tractor is going to look very old from getting scratched and dinged up. I bought a good low hour used one and I am glad of it. If you aren't use to running a tractor you are going to run into stuff with it too. Tree limbs are going to get stuck all underneath, and damage to the grill and shrouds are almost certain. Seriously consider a low hour used one, the market is great for that right now too, prices are low. Trade it in when you are done on a nice shiny new one to maintain the property later.

Here is a burn pile I pushed up with my L3410.

Attachments

hivo

Equipment
B7300, L3940
Oct 15, 2010
Conway Arkansas USA
PJr. It sounds like you are describing my farm in Arkansas to a "T". The only diff is size. We have 335 acres. I have the Grand L 3940 With the DST trans. Every time I use it I wish I had gotten the HST model. I pull a 6' Land Pride bush hog with no problems. However I would probably go with more horsepower. I got a great deal on the 3940 and couldnt pass it up. I would also recommend a cab if its in your budget. I dont know what kind of stinging insects you have in FL, but we have some nasty ground nesting wasps and bumble bees in AR. and you will find them when you least expect it. Nothing like a bush hog to stir em up!!!! Find yourself at least a 40 HP Tractor and enjoy your farm!
HIVO