What is wrong with apostrophes on the site?

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
I was looking at my post today and the apostrophes turned into a wierd string. Then I saw Yooper had the same issue in his post- they turn into ****8217;

NOTE....... ""moderated added quotation marks (apostrophes) ...... see coachgeo/moderator response below for understanding""

Last edited by a moderator:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have seen this often, also.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I was looking at my post today and the apostrophes turned into a wierd string. Then I saw Yooper had the same issue in his post- they turn into ****8217;

NOTE....... ""moderated added quotation marks (apostrophes) ...... see coachgeo/moderator response below"" for understanding
just brought this up to Mr. K (our Admin) before seeing this thread. He's probably not seen it yet. these are codes for left and right quotation marks

I've only noticed the codes popping up inside a quoted post as shown above. They seem normal in original post such as the OP's orginal post I edited.

If there are post where the code shows within something that is NOT inside a quote.. please send me a "post link" (the little number in orange bar at top right of a post that is underlined, is a link)

--------------------------------------------

UPDATE... ok weird..... didn't happen when I masterfully set out to replicate this problem :eek: ...... hmmm :cool: :p.. maybe he did see the PM I sent him already?

orrrrrrrr..... THE PLOT THICKENS.....see following post

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
ok......... well the codes that are showing are for LEFT and Right apostrophe which is NOT something I have on my keyboard..... and maybe why my attempt to replicate the error above did not cause the phenomenon I was expecting.

Might be on other keyboards", tablets" or an APP? or iphones? that is causing this issue???? thus it might only happening in post created thru such???

example

See

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=264999&postcount=6 NOTE the iPhone / tapatalk use to make that post

then someone quoted him (grey box) and codes appeared instead of apostrophe

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=265022&postcount=11

PS... if it is Tapatalk am beginning to hate it. Find that users who post into forums with that app end up causing other issues. Such as on some forums when folk use it to put pics in post.... the pics end up being hosted by tapatalk... which means they will eventually disappear like what happened with users of Photobucket. Turned millions good informative post into a useless archived dribble.. unless of course the posters pay the ransom err I mean "fee" they surprised them all with after years..... as the only way to allow their pics to be viewed outside of Photobucket was now to pay a fee. No one paid.... post became useless... huge amount of forum archives on bulletin boards across the globe became junk overnight.

Last edited:

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
I am posting from an iPad as well. Maybe the latest iOS? Let’s see.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Coach he used the apostrophe in the post above it, "let's".

So we'll see what it does with mine, android tablet. I only have one kind of quote, no left and right.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
And the same thing from an iPhone:

Let***8217;s

***8220;Let***8217;s ***8220;
hmmmm..... .... intawesting. That is without using tapatalk right..... just Iphone?

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yes new iPhone 7, up to date operating system. Used safari to log in. But it looks normal to me in original post, but your requote in the grey background has it in code. ???

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Yes new iPhone 7, up to date operating system. Used safari to log in. But it looks normal to me in original post, but your requote in the grey background has it in code. ???
There might be a setting in the VBulletin software that allows for Unicode inside post quotes that will need to be changed. Tis my suggestion to Admin/Mr. K to look into.

It is not just here. Seeing it on other boards.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
hmmmm..... .... intawesting. That is without using tapatalk right..... just Iphone?
Coach - I see that with my iPhone 6S iOS 11.2 posts, but I do use Tapatalk with that.

Gotten so I avoid using apostrophe, or fix them after on laptop. Again, sounds like it could be a Tapatalk issue.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If I write something up in Word, this text, then chuck it in a post, I need to go and change all the apostrophes once it***8217;s posted.