What is this on my tire/rim

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
I’ve had my l4701 a little over a year and just noticed this substance where the tire meets the rim. These are fluid filled R1s.
i don’t know if this substance was there all along and I didn’t notice or just showed up. I have around 100hrs on these tires.

thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Taste it. If it's sweet, it's probably Rim Guard beet juice ballast. Just kidding, don't taste it! But seriously, it might be a bit of Rim Guard spooging out at the tire bead.

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
Taste it. If it's sweet, it's probably Rim Guard beet juice ballast. Just kidding, don't taste it! But seriously, it might be a bit of Rim Guard spooging out at the tire bead.
Lol. I actually did taste rim guard in my old tractor. That was questionable lol. This one is washer fluid though.
I just didn’t know if the dealer would have used some kind of something to make a bead when mounting it or what it was.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I believe that "filled" tires should ALWAYS have tube installed. Hence, you may have a leaking tube within that tire (or even MISSING tube 😬)

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
I should say it’s like a thick sticky tar or goop and the tire is holding air.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I’ve had my l4701 a little over a year and just noticed this substance where the tire meets the rim. These are fluid filled R1s.
i don’t know if this substance was there all along and I didn’t notice or just showed up. I have around 100hrs on these tires.

thanks in advance for the help!

Looks like 'bead sealer' to me. Tire shops use it (especially on tractor and lawnmower tires) if they are having trouble getting a good seal.

Reactions: 4 users