What fell off my 3 Point Hitch?

Happytule

Equipment
BX23
Mar 2, 2013
inSane Diego
Hi, all-

I was scraping my driveway today and suddenly my drag `box was lifting only the right side.

I lost a pin that is about 1.5" long and 1/2 or 5/8 inches in diameter (couldn't find my tape measure.) that has a lip on one end and a hole for a cotter pin on the other end.

It was holding the vertical lift arm (with a U-shaped end) to the bar that goes between the tractor & the drag box.

I'm guessing I can find one of these at a local tractor supply, so I won't have to wait to have it shipped, but I don't know what to ask for when I makes calls in the morning.

This is SO frustrating. I spent 45 minutes trying to find the parts diagram at Messick's but I am apparently a chowder head because I couldn't ANY parts diagrams.

What the heck is this part called?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Hi, all-

I was scraping my driveway today and suddenly my drag `box was lifting only the right side.

I lost a pin that is about 1.5" long and 1/2 or 5/8 inches in diameter (couldn't find my tape measure.) that has a lip on one end and a hole for a cotter pin on the other end.

It was holding the vertical lift arm (with a U-shaped end) to the bar that goes between the tractor & the drag box.

I'm guessing I can find one of these at a local tractor supply, so I won't have to wait to have it shipped, but I don't know what to ask for when I makes calls in the morning.

This is SO frustrating. I spent 45 minutes trying to find the parts diagram at Messick's but I am apparently a chowder head because I couldn't ANY parts diagrams.

Couple of thoughts that may not be worth much.

If you have any similar pins laying around; extra top link pin, hitch pin for that thing you used to have, etc., see if you have one that fits. Diameter has to be right but length just has to be long enough to secure and short enough not to hit anything as the lift moves.

1) They’re generally called lift arm pins around here. There may be some other technical term; don’t know.
2) Replacing temporarily (or maybe permanently) with a generic pin makes sense. I suspect if you call Tractor Supply or somewhere similar and say you need a lift arm pin for a Kubota BX23 you’re likely to get A bunch follow up questions that lead nowhere
Hi, all-

or “we don’t have that”, but unlikely to get a pin.

Suggest you measure to determine the actual diameter of the pin and determine the minimum and maximum length that will work. Then call and tell them you need a 5/8” lift arm pin between 1.5” and 2.25” long (or whatever dimensions you actually need) and you might find something that will work.
Hi, all-

There may be some technical term that I’m unaware of but they’re generally called lift arm pins around here. Getting a generic pin for temporary or permanent replacement is probably a reasonable plan. If calling a generic supplier like TSC, probably going to have to have the diameter and maximum and minimum length that will work to actually get anything. If you ask a generic supplier for a lift arm pin for a Kubota BX23 at least the ones in this area would have no idea what to sell you. If you ask for a 5/8” pin between 1.5” and 3” (or whatever dimensions you actually need) you might get something.

Another potential option once you know the size pin you need is check any similar pins on implements you aren’t using. If you have a top link pin, hitch pin, or some other pin not currently in use that meets the dimensional requirements, borrow it until you get a replacement.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Sorry about the messed up reply. I obviously need to quit trying to post from my phone.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Hi, all-

For the BX23D, here's the parts diagram ........if it's part #90 (part # 05122-71245 & #100 (75599-53194)

Attachments

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Can you pull the one on the other side to take with you to the store? (I had the same thing happen this last spring). Messick’s just calls it a ‘pin’ (different size for mine)

D9DE3F2F-7F5B-4B0B-945B-DA403649FA4C.jpeg

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Pull the pin from the other side and buy a grade 5 or a grade 8 bolt to match it. You will need a lock nut or a pair of regular nuts to jamb together in order to keep the bolt from falling out. It would not hurt anything to put a flat washer on either side as well.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've done what BigG says, for years....especially on my 3PT to SC adapters, as they're bolted on...forever.
The problem with 'regular' pin setups is that sooner or later, the retaining pin ( 'R' or 'Q' shaped) falls out, eiter from rust or something hitting it at just the right spot....it can take minutes or days for the big pin to wiggle it's way to freedom...
Kinda important to do a 'walkaround' inspection, say while the engine's warming up, just to confirm everything is in it's place. Also carry a couple spares in the toolbox. that way if it happens 'kittycorner' of the back 40, you can fix it there and not have a lonnnnnng walk back to the garage !

Happytule

Equipment
BX23
Mar 2, 2013
inSane Diego
Can you pull the one on the other side to take with you to the store? (I had the same thing happen this last spring). Messick’s just calls it a ‘pin’ (different size for mine)

View attachment 48747
I thought about that but putting the darned thing on (3 point hitch) was such a PITA, I'm reluctant to take the other one out.

I think I might try BigG's bolt solution, actually.

Happytule

Equipment
BX23
Mar 2, 2013
inSane Diego
Pull the pin from the other side and buy a grade 5 or a grade 8 bolt to match it. You will need a lock nut or a pair of regular nuts to jamb together in order to keep the bolt from falling out. It would not hurt anything to put a flat washer on either side as well.
I like your idea a lot. I was thinking a bolt might work, but I wasn't sure about sheer strength.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Phones are for calling and 'texting' not posting on the net. I lost the 'tap-a-talk' app long ago. Strictly a pita.

Happytule

Equipment
BX23
Mar 2, 2013
inSane Diego
I've done what BigG says, for years....especially on my 3PT to SC adapters, as they're bolted on...forever.
The problem with 'regular' pin setups is that sooner or later, the retaining pin ( 'R' or 'Q' shaped) falls out, eiter from rust or something hitting it at just the right spot....it can take minutes or days for the big pin to wiggle it's way to freedom...
Kinda important to do a 'walkaround' inspection, say while the engine's warming up, just to confirm everything is in it's place. Also carry a couple spares in the toolbox. that way if it happens 'kittycorner' of the back 40, you can fix it there and not have a lonnnnnng walk back to the garage !
I was thinking earlier that it would be nice to have a spare for every part like this that I might lose and I realized the answer was "a backup tractor"!

I had a light bulb moment shortly after this happened: when I install my 3 point hitch I misplaced the cotter pin and somehow ended up using a split ring made with rather small wire. I might have found it on the ground, I really don't remember.

I DO remember thinking it "would probably be OK" as all it had to do was keep the pin from sliding out. I think at the time I had a box of assorted cotter pins in the garage, too!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I get my wife to go look for missing parts/tools/keys/whatever. She doesn't even need to know what it is and she finds stuff about 95% of the time.

Heaven help me if I try to hide something!

Happytule

Equipment
BX23
Mar 2, 2013
inSane Diego
I get my wife to go look for missing parts/tools/keys/whatever. She doesn't even need to know what it is and she finds stuff about 95% of the time.

Heaven help me if I try to hide something!
I am constantly asking my wife to help me look for things. I'll be standing in our pantry, looking for something and she will point to it sitting right in front of me.

Before working on the driveway last night I mounted my two brand new LawnTrac tires. I got the first one on just fine, but needed to get my floor jack for the second tire. Then I couldn't find the lug bolts. After 20 minutes of looking, I got her to help me, she couldn't find them.

Using my magnetic thingie with wheels, I finally found one of them, pushed into the sand by the floor jack, right where we had both been rummaging. The other were there too. Sooooo frustrating.

I tried looking for the pin, but it was dark. I'll give it another try in the morning, with my wife's help, of course.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I thought about that but putting the darned thing on (3 point hitch) was such a PITA, I'm reluctant to take the other one out.

I think I might try BigG's bolt solution, actually.
BigG’s bolt solution is the way to go.

Twobit

Equipment
L275-DT with loader & a 1940 Farmall H
Aug 7, 2020
SW Texas
Don’t know if you have a “Tractor Supply” store in your part of the country.....they have all sizes on pins and clips.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The general name for these are linchpins.
They sell them at hardware stores and tractor supply stores.
There are some with multiple holes to adjust the length.