What does this mean?

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I was browsing through the M5660 manual that I printed off the internet and in the section on the PTO/engine hour readout operation there was an illustration that showed what the display would look like in the PTO mode and it was 540 n/m.

What does n/m stand for? I can figure out r/m to be a funky shorthand for rpm but the illustration clearly shows n/m...I even showed the illustration to my wife without prior discussion and asked her, she said n/m.

In my vocation, n/m is a metric torque value that stands for Newton/meter.

Here is from acronymfinder.com

Acronym Definition
N/M Not Meaningful
N/M Nevermind
N/M No Message
N/M No Marks (cargo)
N/M Newton Per Meter
N/M Nuthin' Much

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Nm is one method of indicating Newton-Meter (or metre) and is a measure of determining torque. As a form of misapplication of the term, since torque represents energy transferred or expended per angle of revolution,... it is sometimes mis-used to indicate revolutions.

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
N is a notation for a quantity of things, in this case revolutions, as others have pointed out.

It seems like they're reminding you that you're not looking at engine rpm by using units of n/m instead of rpm.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
N is a notation for a quantity of things, in this case revolutions, as others have pointed out.

It seems like they're reminding you that you're not looking at engine rpm by using units of n/m instead of rpm.

This response is not a criticism of your very good comment.... but, in conjunction with your comment.... it seems to be another misapplication or lack of conformity to when they then specify PTO output as “540 RPM” ... (the 540 refers to PTO not engine.)

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Thanks for the replies...seems like with the right LCD panel Kubota could have easily done something that would have been a little easier to understand. Maybe the PTO icon with the rotational arrow and the abbreviation rpm. Oh well, until I get a job in the engineering department at Kubota, I'll just have to be happy with n/m and whatever it may mean.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
how about they don't us rpm for most think of engine speed when they read or hear that so they use N/M for number/minute? or 540 N/M.

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
This response is not a criticism of your very good comment.... but, in conjunction with your comment.... it seems to be another misapplication or lack of conformity to when they then specify PTO output as “540 RPM” ... (the 540 refers to PTO not engine.)
Very good point. I hadn't considered that everybody thinks of PTO rpm as that, rpm!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Most of the world (outside USA) understands that n/M better than RPM. I think the use of the SI (metric) system drives it somewhat.

We should have converted in the 70s and be done with the change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

angelo c

Equipment
Couple a wheel barrows, shovels and beer
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
Most of the world (outside USA) understands that n/M better than RPM. I think the use of the SI (metric) system drives it somewhat.

We should have converted in the 70s and be done with the change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well young fella....that's where's yer wrong....WE are "most of the World" in 'MURICA....and e'ry body else is just places to fly over.... :)

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Well young fella....that's where's yer wrong....WE are "most of the World" in 'MURICA....and e'ry body else is just places to fly over.... :)
You’re being tongue-in-cheek, of course, ... but that is a curious example of how a typical ’merican-bubba has his own version of snobbishness. (Usually reserved for elitists.)

Reactions: 2 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
This is way over my head....lol I tend to think it was a mis print myself. I am surprised he read an owners manual. Most don't today. They watch a Pew Tube video and become an instant expert.

Reactions: 1 users

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
on a lot of turbine powered airplanes, 'N' is used as 'rotational speed' on engine gauges. I'm sure there's a fancier way to say it. I assumed it was a German or french word but having spent some time googling it now, cause now I want to know after all these years, there seemed to be no good answer on the interweb.
Np - prop rpm
Ng/ N1- Gas generator rpm

I like the tractor display this way, we can see exactly what the PTO is doing. With no mark on the tach it's easy to forget what rpm the engine should be at!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Not trying to be contrary, but I believe when a gauge is labelled “N” it refers to “percent” of RPM of the primary (N1) or secondary (N2) turbine wheel.
I’ve got thousands of hours operating/teaching/examining pilots in turbine powered airplanes and in the ones I flew the “N” doesn’t refer to the rotational speed. It refers to the turbine wheel which the designated “N”-gauge is sensing. N1 would indicate the primary wheel (or the first one inline such as compressor), N2 the secondary (such as an output or propeller-shaft.) The gauge is usually inscribed to indicate PERCENT of RATED-RPM, not the actual RPM and that is a correct usage of the “N” term (although there are exceptions to this as chosen by the mfr’r.* Beechcraft and some others use percent of N1 but RPM of N2 and that is because their N2 gauge is actually labelled “Prop” rather than a turbine wheel.

*even mfr’s sometimes depart from the engineering terms

At least that’s the case usually with the airplanes I recall operating. I’ve slept since then and cannot figure out how I ever had time to go to work since I retired.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
gee if Metric is soooo great... WHY is it here in Canada, where we've been 'metric' for decades , do the cops and media ALWAYS say 'be on th elookout for the bad guy, 6 foot 3, 210 POUNDS ????
meanwhile temps are in *C, speeds in Km/h...
sigh

Jay

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
My buddy says he now weighs 14 stones. 🤔

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
on a lot of turbine powered airplanes, 'N' is used as 'rotational speed' on engine gauges. I'm sure there's a fancier way to say it. I assumed it was a German or french word but having spent some time googling it now, cause now I want to know after all these years, there seemed to be no good answer on the interweb.
Np - prop rpm
Ng/ N1- Gas generator rpm

I like the tractor display this way, we can see exactly what the PTO is doing. With no mark on the tach it's easy to forget what rpm the engine should be at!
I worked with Rolls-Royce commercial turbofan engines and they had three spools so the was N1, N2 & N3 for the fan/low pressure turbine, intermediate compressor/intermediate turbine , and the high compressor/high pressure turbine, respectively.