What does these levers do? Kubota L185

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
One on the dash is Decompression (allows the motor to spin without compressing the fuel). Get the engine spinning / moving fast and push it in to start.

I was thinking the other one was the same but no need for two!?!? Not sure about the round knob does...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You'll have to Post pictures of the whole tractor, as I have a sneaking feeling it's really not an L185, more like an L1501, They are almost the same.

The Knob on the left is a decompression lever, you engage it to let the motor spin faster, then you disengage it to let it fire.
This feature has pretty much become not needed as newer batteries have rendered it obsolete, because they will spin the motor fast enough and long enough to easily start.

The round know is a mystery, it might be a parking brake paw.

Fritiof_von_schnabel

Equipment
Kubota L185
Feb 18, 2021
Sweden
You'll have to Post pictures of the whole tractor, as I have a sneaking feeling it's really not an L185, more like an L1501, They are almost the same.

The Knob on the left is a decompression lever, you engage it to let the motor spin faster, then you disengage it to let it fire.
This feature has pretty much become not needed as newer batteries have rendered it obsolete, because they will spin the motor fast enough and long enough to easily start.

The round know is a mystery, it might be a parking brake paw.
I've attached a picture of the little beauty :)

Ah! Decompression. Would that help cold starting in any way?

No the other lever is not related to the parking brake, that much I know. Could it have something to do with hydraulics?

Attachments

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
I would recommend following the rod attached to the round knob to where and what it goes to. I have a feeling it may be an aftermarket add-on or modification. Is it possible someone has installed radiator shutters due to your climate? It is also possible it has something to do with the loader that is installed on your machine.

Fritiof_von_schnabel

Equipment
Kubota L185
Feb 18, 2021
Sweden
I would recommend following the rod attached to the round knob to where and what it goes to. I have a feeling it may be an aftermarket add-on or modification. Is it possible someone has installed radiator shutters due to your climate? It is also possible it has something to do with the loader that is installed on your machine.
Yeah I will do a full investigation to the best of my mechanical knowledge. The previous owner mentioned something about a hydraulic output/connection on the back of that tractor that was used to tilt a trailer hydraulically (is that a word? :) ). Perhaps that's what it's for.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
WOW, that is one heck of a altered and fixed up L185!

I have a sneaking suspicion given it's location it should have something to do with engine speed.

Fritiof_von_schnabel

Equipment
Kubota L185
Feb 18, 2021
Sweden
WOW, that is one heck of a altered and fixed up L185!

I have a sneaking suspicion given it's location it should have something to do with engine speed.
Yeah the previous owner built the loader with parts he "borrowed" from his job at the Swedish loader manufacturer ÅLÖ. A bit like the Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time". It's slow but strong.
It's in great original condition.

I'll try to figure out what the lever does.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That round knob may be a manual throttle adjustment. So you can set the throttle and not have your foot constantly on the throttle to maintain speed.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have an L185 but don’t have those two knobs on the right.

I assume that you have a hand throttle on the right since I think I see the vertical rod. Therefore I don’t think the round knob has anything to do with the throttle.

Mine stops by pulling up on a lever that is connected into the hand (and foot) throttle and shuts the fuel down to a level that stops the engine. I believe that I see that in your picture by the knob that says “pull to stop”.

The parking brake is a loop that is by your brake pedals and i think I see that.

I think your tractor has been modified some how.

Slade

Equipment
L1501DT
Jul 18, 2021
Australia
I have a L1501DT, and it doesn't have either of the knobs on the right - so as suggested, possibly and aftermarket addition. And yes, the pull-out on the left is for decompression.