What do you use to seal trailer wooden bed?

lmpres

Equipment
lx2610
Jul 3, 2020
New Hampshire
Have a newer trailer and want to seal the wooden bed. I read somewhere that just using waterproofing sealers can make it too slippery for loading. Anyone have any suggestions on what could seal and add grip?

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I just did my trailer deck with Cabot Gold Sunlit Walnut. Looks great and seals like a polyurethane. I haven't loaded any equipment on it since coating so I cannot attest to whether it is slippery or not. You could broadcast some fine sand onto the coating before it dries.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Seal with your favorite flavor of sealer, toss some sand on on while still tacky. Honestly, if its rough cut lumber, it should be grippy enough.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Have a newer trailer and want to seal the wooden bed. I read somewhere that just using waterproofing sealers can make it too slippery for loading. Anyone have any suggestions on what could seal and add grip?
I have never sealed my 20" oak deck equipment trailer.
I store it inside.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I just treated my new trailer with used ATF, uncut. It came out great, no greasy feel to it at all.

see post here: Post #545

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I used Thompsons water seal on my trailer. It has 2x8 treated boards. I use the trailer for hauling my tractor, Race cars and the Zero turn occasionally. It is not slippery at all Did it 2 years ago probably going to coat it again this fall sometime. I too also store it indoors but wanted to seal it to keep it looking good.

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
I just treated my new 20' car hauler with old oil change oil, came out great and cost nothing.

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
I used an old rag , then used it to start the burn pile. No cost and no waste.

Reactions: 1 user

Hunter1157

Equipment
MX 6000 HST Cab, Kubota RTV X1140
Apr 26, 2020
Palestine, Tx.
I just treated my new 20' car hauler with old oil change oil, came out great and cost nothing.

This is what I have been using for years. Works great. I apply it with a foam roller.

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
They do indeed, if they are wadded up and in a tight space (trash bag...). But linseed oil on a wooden deck is harmless - done decks and floors with it.

Rags soaked in linseed oil will self combust. Ask me how I know.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
They do indeed, if they are wadded up and in a tight space (trash bag...). But linseed oil on a wooden deck is harmless - done decks and floors with it.

For years it was standard treatment on wooden shingled houses. Hate to see what would happen to a cedar shingled roof with linseed oil and an ember from a nearby fire. o_O

But without the ember, it's not going to do anything but sit there and look good.

barts

Equipment
4wd B5100, FEL with Piranaha bar, box blade, log arch, 3 point hitch adaptor
A common treatment for raw wood in wooden boats is multiple coats of boiled linseed oil, turps and some pine tar w/ a splash of varnish or japan drier to help the linseed oil polymerize. This also helps keep steel hardware from rusting. Trailers probably don't deserve true turpentine; I'd imagine other solvents like mineral spirits or kero would serve as well, but w/o the nice smell. The pine tar does darken the wood substantially; I think it helps protect the linseed oil & wood from UV. Applied periodically this will do a nice job of protecting the decking.