What do I look for while purchasing a used B8200?

ManUp

Apr 8, 2016
Milton, Wi, U.S.A
I have small barn which I will demolish this summer and recently found a well used B8200 Kubota with a bucket and backhoe which could be useful for loading material into a dumpster, moving small trees (under 2" diameter), etc.. The tractor looks worn, but everything works on it and there are no "funny" sounds when running the motor or attachments. The backhoe controls do have oil on all of them. Would anyone have suggestions on what to look for that would be a potential high dollar / or time repairs?
The hour meter has been painted over so I'll assume it has a lot of hours and some repaint. The seller is not the original owner so he really doesn't have any thoughts on the hours. He said he's owned it for "years". I don't really need another project but if the price were right I could assume some risk of the potential failures, and save whats left of my back for a few more years.
What would be a fair price for a machine like this located in Wisconsin?

Any help would be appreciated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
First -

ask him WHAT he wants for it, then when he says....ummm uhhhh.......offer him $500 and go from there, if he laughs so hard he wets his pants, then you probably do not want to even barter in the price.

Without any pictures, it is very hard to tell you what it is worth, but I will tell you this, a backhoe is worth thousands......sitting on the floor NOT hooked to the tractor!!!! So if it all works and you re-hose everything.....and tires....and fluid changes....and.....

it would be well worth a couple of grand.......then again - it might take a bit to get it in shape......can you take a couple of pictures?

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Oil leaks from under the transmission/engine/rear end.

Pull the engine dip stick and check for water.

Check the FEL hoses for seeps or leaks and cracking.

What condition is the seat? They are $120 for an OEM seat.

Battery condition? Cracks? Does it start in a couple of turns after using the glow-heat for 15 seconds?

Excessive engine smoke after warm-up?

Any cracks in the transmission/rear end?

Front axle leaks?

Tire condition? A pair of rears will run you over $1500. Fronts are under $50 apiece.

Cosmetic stuff can be fixed.

Ray