Were you drugged?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I was drugged but not that much, but in a lot of those ways.

Actually, aside from what the doctor prescribed if you were ill, there were no other drugs that could have affected me, as what exists now did not exist when I was a kid, at least not in my world.

I think things started to change in the 70’s.

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was drugged but not that much, but in a lot of those ways.

Actually, aside from what the doctor prescribed if you were ill, there were no other drugs that could have affected me, as what exists now did not exist when I was a kid, at least not in my world.

I think things started to change in the 70’s.
It is amazing what was brought back from the Far East just before and during that time frame!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Wow, I don't remember writing that, but that was my childhood.

Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
It is amazing what was brought back from the Far East just before and during that time frame!
Opium hit the states in the late 1800's. Pot came up from Mexico around their revolution in 1910.
Families and the local papers simply buried what they did not want the neighbors to know.

But , hey, it is always best to blame the younger generation !
I knew a few that got the woodshed treatment from abusive parents. One is still in jail for beating a man to death. Just like he was taught.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
But , hey, it is always best to blame the younger generation !
I knew a few that got the woodshed treatment from abusive parents. One is still in jail for beating a man to death. Just like he was taught.
Blame others for which you are guilty…the American way

• Haha

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

The "concerned citizen" post irked me as it reminded me of the news article link posted here.

The Christian Brothers running the orphanage relied on the philosophy of blind obedience. And so the church that protected the abusers and allowed them to perpetuate their "teachings" by moving them to caribbean orphanages. And so the police that ignored the pleas of the abused seeking protection.

It's easier to teach blind obedience than rational thought. The stick is a powerful tool when you don't have a carot.

• Angry

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
There's a huge difference between now and then. I was primarily raised by my grandparents. Old school be seen and not heard, unless talked to first. I got spanked and the whole bit. Actually not much changed after I was adopted save I knew better by that point in life. More then once I've had a belt, coal shovel ect taken to my back side and I can tell you now and would have told you back then I deserved what I got every time.
My wife was raised with the "oh stop it honey" and "I'm your friend not your mom" attitude. Fortunately she turned out ok, but I see her pampering the kids and taking the no you can't do that approach with them, that's why they walk all over her. I'm home there's no bs. They listen, and I rarely have to do more then raise my voice for them to listen. There's a difference between teaching fear, and respect just as there's a difference between beating someone and getting your butt spanked.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
There's a huge difference between now and then. I was primarily raised by my grandparents. Old school be seen and not heard, unless talked to first. I got spanked and the whole bit. Actually not much changed after I was adopted save I knew better by that point in life. More then once I've had a belt, coal shovel ect taken to my back side and I can tell you now and would have told you back then I deserved what I got every time.
My wife was raised with the "oh stop it honey" and "I'm your friend not your mom" attitude. Fortunately she turned out ok, but I see her pampering the kids and taking the no you can't do that approach with them, that's why they walk all over her. I'm home there's no bs. They listen, and I rarely have to do more then raise my voice for them to listen. There's a difference between teaching fear, and respect just as there's a difference between beating someone and getting your butt spanked.
There is no one size fits all approach to parenting, agree with you.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When you're training anything with a brain the idea is: "Make the right thing easy and the wrong thing difficult". However, whatever is done consistently becomes the pattern, good or bad.

I can relate to your upbringing.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My wife's a ninja with a pair of flip flops. All you here is whistle....smack smack smack in a span of a 1/2 second 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

We also have quite the collection of cooking spoons and spatulas that have been purchased while taking the older two grandkids to the store when they were little 🤣😂😂🤣😂

• Haha

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I was not drug to the barn for chores.

It was expected, and I complied. I was young.

At 5 am, Old Man pulled all my bedding down in the winter. Nothing will get you moving quicker.

I didn’t like it when -10F or 90F. Didn’t matter. I did it. Had to. No choice.

I have so much respect for those guys and gals that milk cows every day. Unless you’ve walked a mile in their shoes, you have no idea the commitment and dedication those folks have.

Probably best thing that ever happened to me. 🐄 😉

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I was not drug to the barn for chores.

It was expected, and I complied. I was young.

At 5 am, Old Man pulled all my bedding down in the winter. Nothing will get you moving quicker.

I didn’t like it when -10F or 90F. Didn’t matter. I did it. Had to. No choice.

Probably best thing that ever happened to me.
My dad opened up my bedroom door and told "Sam" to get me.

Nothing like having an 165lb St Bernard crawling into bed with all that slobber 😳😳😳😳

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
My wife's a ninja with a pair of flip flops. All you here is whistle....smack smack smack in a span of a 1/2 second 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

We also have quite the collection of cooking spoons and spatulas that have been purchased while taking the older two grandkids to the store when they were little 🤣😂😂🤣😂
Is your wife Latina bychance? Those women put the chanclas (flip flops) to work when kids are out of line! 😂

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Nope... Red head. Born and raised in Houston.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I didn't have that kind of drug problem, although I wish I did. I wish my folks had drug me to the church house every Sunday. Had to learn it myself after I growed up. It's a lot easier when you are drug to church when you're a kid than it is to take up that habit later in life.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
We were expected to do as we were told, and you know what was going to happen if you didnt, Mom was quick with what ever she could lay her hands on, Dad, never corrected us when he was angry, he would speak and we listened , his belt was as fast as a rattle snake and one crack was pretty much enough to get the point across. And we grew up pretty OK respected other people and our selves.