Well tank not filling?

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
That will require me to cut the PVC which I didn't want to do, but that's a good idea - a little pain now for a lot less pain later! Thanks for the suggestion!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
For leak, I'd cut in a union, not a couple into the pipe. Then redo the leaking parts up to the union. With the union you'll be able to tighten or remove the tank or retighten fittings as needed.
I think Tom may have suggested unions on both sides of the tank T...

If you had them both sides, you could disconnect the entire bladder tank assembly.

I can't speak for Tom, but when he said "tighten or remove the tank," that'd be the way accomplish it.

It's a hassle to do both sides, but "Cry now, or cry later......"

Tom- - I hope I interpreted it correctly......

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
That will require me to cut the PVC which I didn't want to do, but that's a good idea - a little pain now for a lot less pain later! Thanks for the suggestion!
I can't tell exactly where the leak is - where the PVC female adapter screws on the brass fitting?
Avoid female threads on PVC pressure fittings. (I think some codes may prohibit them.) Pipe threads are tapered and depend on wedging action which tends to split plastic fittings. Female fittings with metal bands are available or use a metal coupling with a male plastic adapter.
If there is room, use a compression coupling to connect the new pipe to the old. You can disconnect it in the future, and it'll give you some flexibility.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I think Tom may have suggested unions on both sides of the tank T...

If you had them both sides, you could disconnect the entire bladder tank assembly.

I can't speak for Tom, but when he said "tighten or remove the tank," that'd be the way accomplish it.

It's a hassle to do both sides, but "Cry now, or cry later......"

Tom- - I hope I interpreted it correctly......
It should have them on both side of the tank, it helps with a problem like this. Since I've been using PEX with lead free brass fittings and barbed valves it solves issues like this, much ez'er to repair and modify the system in the future.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
@PoTreeBoy yes, that's where it is. I recently was reading about PVC-to-metal like that. News to me. That's how it was originally so I just copied what the original installer did.

I can live with the leak a few days, it's not all THAT bad and isn't affecting anything much. I'll put the union on the PVC side this weekend. I'll also remember that for future repairs but I'm going to leave the other side alone for now since it's doing fine.

Reactions: 1 user