Welding on Bucket

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
Howdy
I want to weld a hook onto my bucket. If I hook ground very near to weld area...is there any reason to unhook anything electrical on the machine? Stick welder. Thanks
Pete

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I have welded on mine many times...no issues. Some say to disconnect the battery...

Grind a good ground spot close to your work...at least that works for me.

ggg3988

Feb 11, 2018
olympia washington usa
I would disconnect the bucket from the tractor then weld it. It it’s connected to tractor always disconnect the battery. My way would be weld hook to backing plate , paint it, drill holes and mount it. Good luck.
Gary

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
AC stick welder, remove battery ground cable just to be safe. ;)

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Just ground it to bare metal near where you are welding. This is only to get a good circuit between the weld and the ground clamp.
Electricity always takes the path of least resistance. From the ground clamp to the area being welded on steel is very low resistance. Nothing outside that path is going to be affected in any significant way. Current isn't going to travel up the loader arms into the chassis into the wiring harness through a ground and into an electronic component and damage it. It ain't gonna happen.
In my 50 years of experience in welding on cars, trucks and heavy equipment, I have never disconnected a battery, alternator or other electronic equipment, and nave never had any problem whatsoever. The only caveat is if you are welding close to a battery, then remove it because of the possibility of igniting hydrogen gas given off by lead/acid batteries, or if welding close, within a foot or so of an unshielded electronic device, you might want to remove it because of the EMP or RFI given off by the arc.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Only time stray (eddy) currents come into play is with TIG or pulsed MIG or sometimes ac SMAW (stick). welding. Like Wolfman said, remove the POSITIVE battery cable, not the negative or remove both and place the ground clamp as close as possible to the weld area on clean paint free metal.

The only time electronic issues (fried circuits) come into play is when the ground is a distance from the work piece.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I couldn't make myself burn the new orange paint. I made plates with the hooks welded to them and bolted them to my bucket instead.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I couldn't make myself burn the new orange paint. I made plates with the hooks welded to them and bolted them to my bucket instead.
I've never put hooks on any bucket. Don't need them, I use the draw bar and a clevis if I need to pull something or the pallet forks (which came with hooks to lift something.

Paint was, all 3 of my buckets are pretty beat up paint wise. In fact, this year I may sandblast them all and re paint them. Need to do my 10 foot snowplow anyway.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
IN theory, if you have your ground-clamp nearer to the weldment then no problems should occur.
The primary concerns would be if current is allowed to pass thru a battery or ALTERNATOR which can burn the rectifier/diodes in the alternator. This would only occur if you clamped your ground cable to the engine block and welded on some distant portion (such as the bucket, which might also send current thru the bucket/FEL pins and create rough spots on the pins/bushings.)

However, if you clamp the ground directly to the bucket and weld the hooks directly on the bucket... you should be fine with no issues. BTDT.

outpost22

Equipment
L3800, RTV500
Feb 20, 2017
Eagle Point, Oregon, USA
I've MIG welded hooks to the top of my bucket and Grapple with the implements off the machine. The only thing I would add is I've also welded large (3"-4") folding "D" rings to the sides of the bucket. There is no side clearance issue when using these since they fold flat to the side of the implement when not in use.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've never put hooks on any bucket. Don't need them, I use the draw bar and a clevis if I need to pull something or the pallet forks (which came with hooks to lift something.

Paint was, all 3 of my buckets are pretty beat up paint wise. In fact, this year I may sandblast them all and re paint them. Need to do my 10 foot snowplow anyway.
My bucket is well used now but it was only a few days old when I put the hooks on it. I use mine all the time and couldn't see not having them.