Weighting rear tires and ballast box

Kevin1

Equipment
Husqvarna MZT 52, BX2380,FEL, Box blade, Landscape Rake
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
I intend to use a ballast box for the 2380 with FEL, should I also weight the rear tires (with fluid) or is this overkill? Dealer told me no need to with a ballast box.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I intend to use a ballast box for the 2380 with FEL, should I also weight the rear tires (with fluid) or is this overkill? Dealer told me no need to with a ballast box.
You gonna have the ballast box on 24-7-365?

Fill the tires....period, easiest and smartest thing to do. Each of those tires will only hold about 8 gallons per, which will be somewhere between 65 and 80 pounds per tire.

UNLESS you are cutting grass all the time in damp areas, you will see NO ill effects of having the rears filled.;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Nope fill those bag girls and if you can find a set of wheel weights your good to go,, there is no reason for a ballast box unless you have a FEL, or maybe a snowblower hanging out there. Filled tires and weights will handle 99% of anything you have hanging off the front end. I have a BX as well and live in the hill country, and have never sought the need for a box.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I had a BX23 (TLB) and did not fill the tires, but I had rear wheel weights on it. I think they were approx 75 lbs each. Most of the time it had the hoe on as well unless I mowed with it. Then both ends came off.

Filling your tires won't hurt a thing (until you get a flat). If your dealer won't do it, you can handle it yourself. There are several youtube videos on how to do it yourself relatively easily.

Kevin1

Equipment
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
99.9% of the intended use will be working with the FEL. I am not mowing at all with the machine. In the future I will briefly put a plow on the back for grading my land or a post hole digger. Plowing snow not an issue where I live. Mostly just working the loader. Sounds like ballast box and loaded rear tires is the configuration that will work best for me.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Hey neighbor you are about 2 hours away from me.

Yes fill the tires, many options to do so.

I built a carry-all to use for a ballast and many other things. You can search by my user name and see it if you would like. I use 5 gallon buckets filled with bricks and blocks then added cement to each to fill in voids gives me about 80# per bucket I sit on the carry all when doing loader work.

I use the carry all alot around the farm it is very useful and serves two purposes. Weight and carrying stuff like wood, hay, mulch, garden stuff, etc.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey neighbor you are about 2 hours away from me.

Yes fill the tires, many options to do so.

I built a carry-all to use for a ballast and many other things. You can search by my user name and see it if you would like. I use 5 gallon buckets filled with bricks and blocks then added cement to each to fill in voids gives me about 80# per bucket I sit on the carry all when doing loader work.

I use the carry all alot around the farm it is very useful and serves two purposes. Weight and carrying stuff like wood, hay, mulch, garden stuff, etc.
I second the carry-all, beats the hell out of a ballast box when it comes to being versatile.;)

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
I waited a few years before filling my rear tires. With the backhoe as ballast there was no need for more weight. Then I got a box blade, subsoiler, chipper/shredder and with these lighter rear implements I needed extra weight - the tractor felt less stable and I had less traction with a full bucket and pushing into dirt or gravel to fill the bucket.
I filled the rears with 14 gallons of antifreeze each and see no downside. I like the heavy and low boxblade as counter weight for FEL work as well. I tried that alone for a while but filled rears perform better. I do not have a ballast box, but always keep something hanging off the back. My old school tractor has no power steering so it is very noticeable if the front end is overloaded. :)

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
99.9% of the intended use will be working with the FEL. I am not mowing at all with the machine. In the future I will briefly put a plow on the back for grading my land or a post hole digger. Plowing snow not an issue where I live. Mostly just working the loader. Sounds like ballast box and loaded rear tires is the configuration that will work best for me.
With your intentions, I'd suggest a rear box blade instead of a ballast box. It will pull double duty for you.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
With your intentions, I'd suggest a rear box blade instead of a ballast box. It will pull double duty for you.
Agreed. Might as well get something to pull double duty.

I've considered filling my tire but my primary use is mowing and i do have some soft spots in my yard that i intend on getting fixed. Would filling my tires help with traction when plowing snow?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bherron1

May 7, 2017
Clarks Hill SC USA
Another vote for the box blade makes a world of difference. I fill the bucket and box at the same time and move twice as much dirt. My ripper tine home made cultivator works just as well and will bust up hard packed dirt if need be while filling the bucket from the last pass. Looks like the dealer filled my tires before delivery as well, found out when I pulled a rear and tried to pick that sucker up, whew.

everettapples

Equipment
M95X, M6800, 121-3 F3060 1760
Dec 25, 2017
Island View, NB CA
Good Boxing Day folks
Im new to the forum and not sure how to start a thread and post this mesage
Im attempting to install after market rear window defrosters in a M6800 cab.
Has anyone had experience with the location of key switched power source?
Hopefully somewhere in the headliner there is a pre-wired connection from a relay
Thanks
Chuck

Kevin1

Equipment
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
I bought the Land Pride BB1248. A little more robust, heavier, taller and Kubota Orange too.
I agree, the 1248 with a QH05 quick hitch will provide about 340lbs of ballast and provide significant capability. Any idea what the total length will be with loader and box blade? I will already need to put ROPS down to get in my 3rd bay in the garage, might have to remove box blade due to length.

miro

Equipment
snow blower
Feb 23, 2014
toronto

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
I have a L2501.
I had filled tires and a box blade and on the hills I work I found that completely inadequate.
I then installed 3 sets of rear wheel weights 6 weights at 60 pounds each.

With the box blade, filled tires and rear weights it is a lot more stable working steep hills but I believe that is still inadequate. I believe the rear box blade does not weigh enough and I am considering purchasing a ballast box.

I can confirm that a box blade and filled tires by itself is inadequate as rear ballast working a front loader on anything besides completely level ground.
With my L2501 filled tires and box blade the tractor was dangerous working the hilly terrain I work.
The rear weights really helped but I am still going to get a ballast box for when I work hilly terrain.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Rear ballast performs a very important function when using a FEL. It turns the rear axle into the fulcrum of a lever and takes weight off of the front axle which helps steering and keeps the lift more manageable. Tire ballast does not take any weight off of the front axle.

Jpatrick

Equipment
BX1850, L210, Various 3 point implements
Apr 4, 2017
Buckingham, Pa
I use a box blade as ballast, too. With the loader, it works both ways, because when I'm using the blade, the loader is also ballast.

As with anything, there are limits. You probably don't want to fill the loader with rocks, drive sideways on a hill, and have the loader 5 feet off the ground.