Weed Wacker recommendation????

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
OK guys, my Weed Wacker bit the dust today. Had a troybilt 4 stroke which has lasted 7 years. It's one of the straight shafts that has multiple attachments for it. Which I happen to have most of the attachments.

The must have for the new weed wacker is to be able to use the attachments I've already invested in. Other then that I'm looking for reliability.

So.... what are some other options out there? :D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
OK guys, my Weed Wacker bit the dust today. Had a troybilt 4 stroke which has lasted 7 years. It's one of the straight shafts that has multiple attachments for it. Which I happen to have most of the attachments.

The must have for the new weed wacker is to be able to use the attachments I've already invested in. Other then that I'm looking for reliability.

So.... what are some other options out there? :D
Two words ......:D:)

ST IHL!

I have owned two , one died three years ago - it was only 25 years old....

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
85hokie, can I still use my existing attachments with it? Have an edger, pole saw, and buzz saw attachment I would like to be able to still use ;) That's one of my requirements for a new unit :D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

ST IHL!

Daren -

Hokie has it. Don't know about your attachments, though....:(

I have 2, one is 26 years old - FS86, with a steel 3-point brush blade on it. The "new" FS130 is 4 stroke ~ 6 years old with grass head.

If it wasn't for ethanol gas, would have never needed to get the 130...

Gave up on the old one, got another, then made the old-timer run again.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Daren, you need to keep your current attachments in use, and 85Hokie said "two words"... It's easy: Troy Bilt!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio

ST IHL!

same here.. STIHL all the way.
they attach at the head instead of at a section in the pole like you are used to...

if you insist on using the attachments you already have? probably a homelite.. toro or craftsman are gonna be the ones that you can snap them on.

ive got the saw, rototiller & so on from my toro & they interchange with the craftsman & homelite...

but my stihl just beats the pants off of them when it comes to weadeating!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
All i can say is i will never buy a husqvarna again. Stihl is such a betterer product. And after 6 years of servicing them,kids running them daily i know
That one summers daily use will last me a lifetime.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
85hokie, can I still use my existing attachments with it? Have an edger, pole saw, and buzz saw attachment I would like to be able to still use ;) That's one of my requirements for a new unit :D
I know full well....those attachments WILL NOT work on the old wacker.....
I was just taking the chain saw posts to another level!!!!

I will tell you the attachment I use a lot - it is the typical saw blade type attachment that you can cut down small trees, like those that are about 3" or so in diameter.

Daren, you might need to go back to the same company that you have already!;) Might not have another choice!

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I like Shindaiwa, I have a 250 had since 1990 is has cut thousands of trees and acres of grass.

I have a Stihl as well ran it an hour yesterday and it is not half the trimmer the Shindaiwa is.

I run self feed heads and 0.155 dia. string, bump and go will only run 0.80 dia. string that came with it. The large diameter I buy in bulk rolls and cut couple pieces and stick in my pocket to carry around with me.

For saws Stihl but for commercial trimmer I will go back with Shindaiwa for my next purchase. The blades should be universal, just bought one and it came with a bushing to adapt to the various heads.

You may be stuck with going back with what you have so the attachments other than the blades will fit.

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
I was in the same boat as you, with attachments that I use. I would love to have had a Stihl, but I couldn't budget that kind of money. I ended up with a Husqvarna 128LD. It will use the same attachments as Poulan, Ryobi, and I suspect, your Troybuilt. The 128 LD is different than the 128LDX, so be aware of that. The Husqvarna was $219.95...
I should add that I now have a couple hours on it and it is the strongest weedeater that I have ever owned...I've run some Stihls, and they are truly the best, but I am very happy with the performance of this model Husqvarna..and it also runs my pole saw attachment better than the Poulan Pro ever did!!

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have an Echo PAS that has the lower half interchangeable tools. It may work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
I like Shindaiwa, I have a 250 had since 1990 is has cut thousands of trees and acres of grass.

I have a Stihl as well ran it an hour yesterday and it is not half the trimmer the Shindaiwa is.

I run self feed heads and 0.155 dia. string, bump and go will only run 0.80 dia. string that came with it. The large diameter I buy in bulk rolls and cut couple pieces and stick in my pocket to carry around with me.

For saws Stihl but for commercial trimmer I will go back with Shindaiwa for my next purchase. The blades should be universal, just bought one and it came with a bushing to adapt to the various heads.

You may be stuck with going back with what you have so the attachments other than the blades will fit.
from what i am told Shindaiwa is no longer available company has been purchased by Echo and no longer has the S parts available " buy the competition and let it die"

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I believe the Echo PAS power head will work with your attachments, bring one to the dealer and try it out before you buy. Look at the Echo site as they are having a fall one day sale in many cities, 20% off any Echo product. My local dealer in MN is tomorrow & I am going to get one of the paddle deals for cleaning the light snow and then sand in the spring. Good luck and look forward to an update with what you find that works for you.

eng1886trk

Equipment
2016 B2650, 60" bucket, QH15, RB1572, LR1572, BB1260, 42" forks
Mar 9, 2016
Lancaster, PA
I would agree with the Echo PAS system. Get the PAS-280 power head; it is the biggest one (and more $$), but it is rated to run all the attachments that Echo offers for the system.

I have one and it has been bullet proof. My brother in-law uses two for his landscaping business and has had them for years with no issue.

I also second the one day sales that many dealers host. There is one coming up this Saturday in my area and I want to get the pole chain saw attachment.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
from what i am told Shindaiwa is no longer available company has been purchased by Echo and no longer has the S parts available " buy the competition and let it die"
Was not aware did a little reading and it appears it was a joint venture, my local dealer still carries full line of Shindaiwa.

I found this from June 2017.
ECHO Incorporated is a leading manufacturer of professional-grade, high performance outdoor power equipment for commercial and homeowner use. Based in the Chicago Suburbs, the corporation markets its products under the brand names ECHO, Shindaiwa and ECHO Bear Cat. To learn more about each, please visit www.echo-usa.com, www.shindaiwa-usa.com, or www.bearcatproducts.com.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Well..... I ended up with another troy built. Would have gotten the Husqvarna, but they were sold out in town on the ones that could use my attachments.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BillK01

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, LP 1560 back blade, Front mount snow blower, Ferris ISX800 ZTR
Mar 17, 2017
Near Pittsburgh, PA
I’ve got an old Stihl FS44, a Stihl Kombi 90 with multiple attachments including a trimmer and an Echo PAS-280 with multiple attachments including the trimmer. The Echo blows them both away in my opinion - it’s a beast. I love Stihl (especially for chainsaws) but I think the newer Echo stuff is definitely worth a look.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
I maybe out on a limb here but I went electric. Got tired of keeping another 2 stroke engine going. Black n Decker 40volt. I have the trimmer, hedge trimmer, and blower for a couple years now and havent looked back. For gas Stihl would be my first choice but loving my maintenance free tools.