Water in tranny fluid question

serbiesnow

Equipment
B5200
Sep 1, 2009
Lebanon,CT, USA
I own a B5200 4 wheel drive Kubota, I recently had a woods loader installed, just tonight I checked the tranny fluid, it was topped (way) off and white, also it was white on the hydro connectors,, so the whole system is contaminated, I can only guess that the water enterd while it was sitting outside this rainy summer with a crack in the shifter boot,..anyways,..how would I go about flushing this system,..do I need a pump or just run it through with new fluid a few times,..or,..bring it to the dealer?? Im good with mechanics, but have not worked on this tractor before, other than (engine) oil changes,...any advise ?? Thanks in advance....

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Getting all the water out of the system is a PIG! I personally don't know any tricks...just drain, fill, run...repeated hundreds of times...(well it seems like it takes that many times to purge a system of water).

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
It'll take a while to get it completely cleaned up if it's that bad. Just change the oil and run it till it's warmed up then drain it and install new oil. do this a few times till it's cleaned up. no need to use expensive oil either, I'd use inexpensive 10w30 engine oil till it's clean then put in fresh filters and new Kubota UDT. you can do this as well as any dealer can (maybe better!) Fix those boots though!
Ed Service

serbiesnow

Equipment
B5200
Sep 1, 2009
Lebanon,CT, USA
Thanks,..but one more question,..would it be OK to not change the filters, and run the machine (light duty) until it bleeds all through and then change them?? I have 5 gallons of UDC, I figure I would run that through maybe,..I havent priced the stuff compared to 30W erl,.. Its amazing how much water ran into this pig all summer,...bummer. Yes, the new boot will be ordered tomorow...//thanks for all the good advise folks!!

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I wouldn't bother changing the filter till you have it cleaned up.a dirty filter filters better than a clean one until it starts to bypass or doesn't allow enough flow. I'm sure some will disagree with me though!
Ed service

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
I'd also disconnect your FEL before you start the process. Do the tractor first, then before you reconnect the loader, drain all of the cylinders manually, or you will be recontaminating your whole system when you use the loader!

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I own a B5200 4 wheel drive Kubota, I recently had a woods loader installed, just tonight I checked the tranny fluid, it was topped (way) off and white, also it was white on the hydro connectors,, so the whole system is contaminated, I can only guess that the water enterd while it was sitting outside this rainy summer with a crack in the shifter boot,..anyways,..how would I go about flushing this system,..do I need a pump or just run it through with new fluid a few times,..or,..bring it to the dealer?? Im good with mechanics, but have not worked on this tractor before, other than (engine) oil changes,...any advise ?? Thanks in advance....
Serbie welcome to the forum and its no big deal unless the water has been in the transmission for a while like six months or more. Oil is lighter than water so all of it should be at the bottom of the case drains plugs just be sure you pull all your plugs in the low spots. I would drain all the oil off during this time, change the filter and check your suction screen for oxidation. Fill to the correct level and without the manual I can't tell you that but use Super UDT. It gets places where UDT won't. If the oxidation effected the transmission components the SUDT will stand a better chance of keeping the noise down. Face it the damage is done if there is damage and there may very well be if the case stood dormant for over a year with the torn boot letting the rain in. Good luck, and the very best to your B5200DT. :)