WATER IN FUEL LINE OF BX

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
Friend of mine ran his fuel low on his BX23s with 50 hours, and he had water in the tank. Machine would sputter out and stall when engaged PTO for mid-mount or if RPMs were above 2k.

I just showed up to his home after he got done changing the two fuel filters. Idles at low rpm but till sputters when RPMs are above 2k and then acts like it wants to stall. I asked him if he drained the bad fuel from the lines before installing the new filters, he did not.

So, do you think once the bad fuel works it way through the lines he will be ok, or should he drain the tank and lines and replace the filters again.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Conventional wisdom is to drain the fuel, clean the tank, then change both filters again. After that add some new fuel, bleed air out of the lines and start. I would also add something to make sure that the fuel is dry. I use acetone but diesel kleen 911 may work as well.

Reactions: 2 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I caught the irony in your reply. It is probably not good news to him but for the sake of the engine, he really ought not to take any shortcuts. I was tempted to mention a shortcut but decided not to because there is just not enough information to suggest anything except what I already did.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Water can coat the inside of fuel filter partially or completely blocking fuel flow through inside of .filter. After draining water from fuel system I suggest to add fuel conditioner that contains Bio-cide to help control fungus growth in fuel system.

Chuckinnj

Equipment
RTV500, BX2230, T2290
Sep 13, 2020
New Jersey
Once this tank is cleaned out like all the other posts recommend I highly suggest placing a "diesel tank water absorber snake" in the tank......... I have used them for years and they work great.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Once this tank is cleaned out like all the other posts recommend I highly suggest placing a "diesel tank water absorber snake" in the tank......... I have used them for years and they work great.
Now that you have opened the door to the shortcut that I alluded to in my previous post maybe you can take over and explain your method for using the snake. I didn't want to go there because we really don't know the condition of the fuel. If the fuel is clean except for the water, your method will work if he cracks the fuel injection lines and bleeds water out of the fuel system.