Was at my dealer today..

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
One issue with tractor use is the thrust load changes constantly.
Side to side and up and down!

:unsure: WOW that does not sound very PG.:oops:
Very true. Angular contact ball bearings will take more thrust load than a regular bearing, but I don't believe it will take as much radial thrust. Better than a regular ball bearing for both thrust and radial load would be a deep groove ball bearing. Hold your hat on the cost, because they are very heavy duty bearings.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Now I have to purchase a hat as well?

My haberdasher retired...

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
After reading this thread about bearing misinformation, I ran across this on the L2501. The writer at this site hasn't got a clue on the engine, transmissions, BH77 or anything to do with tractors. I was looking for info on the lift pump failures just to read.

Bill

edit , I was referring to the writing not the embedded video.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
After reading this thread about bearing misinformation, I ran across this on the L2501. The writer at this site hasn't got a clue on the engine, transmissions, BH77 or anything to do with tractors. I was looking for info on the lift pump failures just to read.

Bill

edit , I was referring to the writing not the embedded video.
It just goes to show you any idiot can write up a website!

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
he ain't exactly wrong

the bearings used are radial ball bearings. Radial ball bearings are great. Low friction, good radial load carrying capability, but axial (side) loading, they suck. Some have higher loads than others.

BX's are glorified lawn mowers meaning they're small meaning the components used on them are also small. Including bearings.

Outer hub bearings get a pretty significant side load on them. "Usually" in my case when I had a hub torn apart, it wasn't so much a broken bearing as it was a worn bearing, and from what information that I could gather from owners/users, it appears that they're in high gear moving a load of lead shot with the back wheels off the ground and turn the wheel very sharp very quickly. The side loading in that situation is significant. Ideally for this application a tapered roller bearing would be a better load carrier in both directions but they require a total redesign of the components, and that will result in a significant cost increase; potentially putting the unit out of the competitive market pricing.

Similarly spindle bearings on lawn mowers. The blades have ramps on them that pull the shaft downward at all times, combined with gravity, in the worst possible environment (dirt, sand, water from washing and mowing wet grass and vibration from lack of balancing. It's a wonder they last as long as they do!

Reactions: 1 users