wallenstein bx52s on L3301

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
I got L3301 and wallenstein bx52s (5 inch chipper that requires ‘22 to 55 engine hp’ per the specs. When I bought it, dealer said it’s a bit big for the machine and I wont be able to handle 5 inch. The tractor is in the range as per manufacture and I wanted to oversize just in case I upgraded to a bigger tractor. Anything bigger than 5 inch is firewood.

Getting it on the tractor was a pain. The rear hitch must be adjusted all the way to the sides, leaving only 1/2 inch before R4 tires rub. It’s hard to get the lift arms on the shafts since there is so little play room. I couldn’t fit the PTO shaft unless I adjusted the top link a lot out to give room (shaft seems a bit long). The hitch def seems maxed out, though the tractor lifts it just fine. I’m dreading removing and reinstalling it…plus realized though the backhoe comes off easy, you must reinstall or remove the hitch each time! 4 bolts to deal with…I’m going to get pats quick hitch and wheel spacers to solve the fitment issues.

Engaging PTO in stationary mode on L3301 is quite easy when you know how to do it. I googled and there wasn’t a good answer, but I did find a post here which helped. Adding instructions here to help others:

1) Get in neutral gear
2) Park brake on and I like to always drop bucket to ground (though not required)
3) Lower RPM (around 1k or idle is fine)
4) Push clutch pedal in
5) Engage PTO switch
6) Slowly release clutch pedal
7) Raise RPM (540 or WOT…chipper is rated 540-1000 RPM)
8) Stand up holding seat down
9) Flip seat back on steering wheel
10) If you accidentally get off before flipping the seat, you can still flip it up in about 2 seconds to prevent tractor from stopping.

To disengage, you turn off the PTO switch while on the ground and then can flip the seat back without the tractor turning off.

I used it a good half day (3-4hrs) yesterday. I cut down a large dead ash tree and chipper was to turn everything not firewood into mulch.

This isn’t a hydraulic feed model, however the shoot is at an angle to massive cutting flywheel. It basically feeds itself if there is engagement. Sometimes you have to give it a shove or the next branch will continue the flow. Some branches really smack around going down and once the cutter makes contact, there is a lot of vibration and noise. The unit is built like a tank and can handle it. Overall I wasn’t really sure why you would want hydraulic feed…seems like it would just get in the way especially if there was a jam.

I did get a branch stuck several times. V or wishbone shaped hard non-flexible thick branches will wedge themselves in going down as the chute gets smaller. When cutting branches, you need to be mindful of irregularities like this and cut them.

Here is where I am kinda confused. I most definitely was easily able to feed 4-5 inch hardwood (ash) through it. The tractor didn’t even flinch. I’m not really sure why more HP is recommended if 34 engine/27 PTO lets you handle the max that fits in? A thought is maybe the flywheel cutter keeps momentum and slows as it cuts? So if you keep continually feeding it would slow to a stop? Not sure…

You need safety gear while using this. The cutting popping/crunching is loud even with hearing protection (sticker on the unit says 122DB warning). I did get some pieces that shot back out.

When disengaging the PTO, the shaft and rotor continues to spin a long time (didn’t time it, but maybe a few min). There is a turning indication thing and you can’t open the cutter without tools.

I paid $4500 for the thing and was considering standalone towable units instead. End of the day, this tractor mounted chipper is superior for less money. Despite the published specs make them seem equal, watching the lighter weight, smaller gas engine chippers operate is pathetic in comparison to most tractor mounted models (including on a subcompact). You need the chipper to be very stable and heavy to feed it, plus the largest chute opening possible so you don’t need to cut branches as much. I suppose if someone didn’t have a tractor with PTO, the tow models would be better than nothing.

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Looks like a nice unit. Wallenstein is generally known for quality products.

In regard to the HP recommendations and practical function, I’ve had the same experience with my 6” rated WC-68 chipper. According to Woodland Mills, my tractor’s 38 PTO HP would run it but I’d be limited to about 4”. Anything worth burning for firewood over that doesn’t get chipped so I didn’t care. In practice, if it fits, it chips. Not complaining… 🤷‍♂️

76PHD

Equipment
B2650
Apr 12, 2016
North Carolina
I've got the smaller Wallenstein BX42S and love it. You're right, you definitely need that hearing protection. I wear a Kask helmet + face shield and that has saved my bacon a few times when the limbs will whip and flail around as they infeed.

For mine I use a quick hitch and it's pretty simple.