Waiting for my LX2610 Backhoe

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have hit two large deer in the last ten years. Neither coming thru the windshield or injuring me. I will say they caused a lot of damage to my pick up truck. Quite scary. You are lucky. My brother worked in claims for an insurance company and was involved in a situation where the deer became lodged in the front seat of a woman's car and every attempt to remove her resulted in a hoof kick to her head. Serious brain injury. She was never the same again. I will probably continue to drive a full sized pick up truck partially due to this story and the notion that a bigger vehicle is somewhat safer. Lots of deer here in Southwestern Pennsylvania.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I have hit two large deer in the last ten years. Neither coming thru the windshield or injuring me. I will say they caused a lot of damage to my pick up truck. Quite scary. You are lucky. My brother worked in claims for an insurance company and was involved in a situation where the deer became lodged in the front seat of a woman's car and every attempt to remove her resulted in a hoof kick to her head. Serious brain injury. She was never the same again. I will probably continue to drive a full sized pick up truck partially due to this story and the notion that a bigger vehicle is somewhat safer. Lots of deer here in Southwestern Pennsylvania.
The deer population in Alabama has gotten so large that the DCNR has had at least a month of hunter's choice every season for at least 10 years now. The only rules are no spots and one a day during Hunter's Choice. When I was a kid, it was strictly illegal to shoot a doe, and a good way to get one heck of a fine, if not impoundment of all firearms and vehicles on the spot. How'd that work out? NOT TOO GOOOD.

I've hit probably 10-15 (I've lost count) deer in various vehicles in my life, and at least a half dozen dogs of various sizes from beagles to german shepards, and one 200 lb wild hog (that was a bad night in the 63 VW).

We have an infestation of armadillos down in South Alabama. My step-dad's father had a red 1964 F-100 with a solid axle in front. Stock size tires put the axle about 5 inches off the ground. Armadillos are about 6" tall at the back when 3/4 grown or older. I called it the Diller Killer. Friday and Saturday night amusement in rural south Alabama was finding and killing as many as I could in one night. I think my record was somewhere around 25. After stepping in a few holes they dug, I found it strangely satisfying to be out hunting them with the Diller Killer. All I had to do was straddle them. The front axle would roll and bounce them, they'd hit the rear axle, and come out the back in a rather unusable state for anything other than buzzard food. If the younger ones were smart enough (they usually weren't) all they had to do is duck a little and I'd go right over them. Possums didn't fare much better.

I was on my way up I-65 one night, and Wile E. Coyote mistook my '86 Thunderbird for the RoadRunner. Hit that idiot running 80. I guess he didn't get the right gear from the Acme Co. T-Bird 1, Coyote 0. I'm probably one of a very few Americans that can say I've hit a kangaroo. If you think hitting a deer is bad, try hitting something that has rear leg bones the size of baseball bats (other than a cow or horse or moose). They're just as stupid as deer when the headlights blind them, and can launch nearly 30 meters on the first hop. They do not turn back once they commit. Fortunately, we were only going about 30KPH fully knowing the possibility of that very thing happening. Even stranger, though, is looking out the passenger window running 60 KPH on the highway in heavy traffic, and seeing an emu looking back at you in broad daylight as he trots along beside the car.

I've had very full and eventful life. I have not seen a cow on a roof, but I have seen wonderous things.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
The deer population in Alabama has gotten so large that the DCNR has had at least a month of hunter's choice every season for at least 10 years now. The only rules are no spots and one a day during Hunter's Choice. When I was a kid, it was strictly illegal to shoot a doe, and a good way to get one heck of a fine, if not impoundment of all firearms and vehicles on the spot. How'd that work out? NOT TOO GOOOD.

I've hit probably 10-15 (I've lost count) deer in various vehicles in my life, and at least a half dozen dogs of various sizes from beagles to german shepards, and one 200 lb wild hog (that was a bad night in the 63 VW).

We have an infestation of armadillos down in South Alabama. My step-dad's father had a red 1964 F-100 with a solid axle in front. Stock size tires put the axle about 5 inches off the ground. Armadillos are about 6" tall at the back when 3/4 grown or older. I called it the Diller Killer. Friday and Saturday night amusement in rural south Alabama was finding and killing as many as I could in one night. I think my record was somewhere around 25. After stepping in a few holes they dug, I found it strangely satisfying to be out hunting them with the Diller Killer. All I had to do was straddle them. The front axle would roll and bounce them, they'd hit the rear axle, and come out the back in a rather unusable state for anything other than buzzard food. If the younger ones were smart enough (they usually weren't) all they had to do is duck a little and I'd go right over them. Possums didn't fare much better.

I was on my way up I-65 one night, and Wile E. Coyote mistook my '86 Thunderbird for the RoadRunner. Hit that idiot running 80. I guess he didn't get the right gear from the Acme Co. T-Bird 1, Coyote 0. I'm probably one of a very few Americans that can say I've hit a kangaroo. If you think hitting a deer is bad, try hitting something that has rear leg bones the size of baseball bats (other than a cow or horse or moose). They're just as stupid as deer when the headlights blind them, and can launch nearly 30 meters on the first hop. They do not turn back once they commit. Fortunately, we were only going about 30KPH fully knowing the possibility of that very thing happening. Even stranger, though, is looking out the passenger window running 60 KPH on the highway in heavy traffic, and seeing an emu looking back at you in broad daylight as he trots along beside the car.

I've had very full and eventful life. I have not seen a cow on a roof, but I have seen wonderous things.
I am writing this from Santa Rosa Beach in the Florida panhandle not far from the site of your glee filled murderous rampage. The three contiguous towns, Seaside, Alys Beach, Rosemary Beach have all been built within the last 30 years. Everything is designed to look historic. The real estate is quite expensive. Like a Disneyworld for grownups. New Urbanism. Fascinating. We drove down 65 from Nashville and have seen no armadillos. I will keep you posted.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I am writing this from Santa Rosa Beach in the Florida panhandle not far from the site of your glee filled murderous rampage. The three contiguous towns, Seaside, Alys Beach, Rosemary Beach have all been built within the last 30 years. Everything is designed to look historic. The real estate is quite expensive. Like a Disneyworld for grownups. New Urbanism. Fascinating. We drove down 65 from Nashville and have seen no armadillos. I will keep you posted.
I grew up a little farther west, closer to Mississippi, about 100 miles north of Mobile.

Try the back-roads. You'll see them, "in the position". Normally on their backs with all four feet straight up.

Greeny123

Feb 28, 2021
PA
Still waiting on the subframe kit for my lx2610. They put the b2650 on and everything works but the seat swivel mechanism for to the location of the safety switch. Waiting for that until TBD

Reactions: 1 user

Newaterman

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, Z422-54KW
Feb 14, 2021
Vermont
The salesman talked me out of the backhoe, and at the end of the day I’m glad he did, though this makes me wonder if he just knew they couldn’t get one!

MidwestGuy

Equipment
LX2610 EA55
Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
Update,
Just got out of icu due to covid, looks like I'm gonna make it. Prayers to all who endured this disease.

Good news tractor is dealer left many messages, 100% ready to go, just need to sign for it all.

My dealers been respectful and is holding on to it until I get out of here.

Reading some other threads, looks like it went up in value LOL.

I'll post some reports in 3 weeks and try to support you great people and forum

Thanks Bob M

Reactions: 1 users

Newaterman

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, Z422-54KW
Feb 14, 2021
Vermont
Update,
Just got out of icu due to covid, looks like I'm gonna make it. Prayers to all who endured this disease.

Good news tractor is dealer left many messages, 100% ready to go, just need to sign for it all.

Thanks Bob M
yikes! Glad to hear you made it out the other side. My sincere hope you don’t have any long term effects.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Update,

Thanks Bob M
Wow. Congrats on both accomplishments. You certainly deserve the new tractor. Enjoy it.