Wait for a 2020 B2601 or get a 2019 B2650?

Beacon11

Mar 29, 2021
WA
I have ten acres to take care of. A good amount of tilling and brush mowing and shoving branches into piles for burning. My strategy is to get the largest amount of horsepower in a body that won't obliterate my lawn (since I'll be needing to drive over it pretty often). The B2601 seemed to fit that bill nicely. Little did I know how covid has apparently impacted supply: so far I haven't been able to find one in driving distance. I was told I could order one, and it might be here by August.

I was presented with another option, however: the dealer has a 2019 B2650 that they transitioned over to be a rental, but no one has rented it so the only thing keeping it from being brand new is the fact that the clock is ticking on the factory warranty. It would be nice to not have to wait several months for a tractor, but I have some concerns and wanted to talk to people who know more about this than I do, i.e. you. Tell me if I'm being silly:
  • 2019 versus 2020: these are pretty close to the same price, but one is older than the other. Will the 2019 be missing features that the 2020 has?
  • The B2650 doesn't appear to be made anymore, and it's unclear why. Was there an issue with it? Will this make it hard to repair over time?
  • I was mentally comfortable with the B2601 frame, thinking that it wouldn't ruin my lawn too much. The B2650 is bigger and heavier. Is it big enough to be problematic?
Any other thoughts you care to share would be appreciated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
B2650 is a bull with horns !!
I wish I had one - (dont need it - but great machine) I believe the new LX took its spot.

Reactions: 1 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
The B2650 is my do it all machine. It maintains about 18 acres on the home place with duties of mowing, tilling, cultivating, backhoe, chipping/shredding, planting, snow removal, blowing leaves, etc. It also mows another 2.5 acre lot a few miles away and works in a 50 acre woodlot an hours drive from the home place. Never a complaint and certainly no regrets. Will be 3 yrs old this summer with not an ounce of troubles. It would work perfectly in your situation, too.
If you're going to be pushing up brush piles and working in the woods/brush, the additional ground clearance over the B2601 would be a plus. But both are great tractors. There were no issues with the B2650 that I know of but it was updated to a new model when they redesigned its sibling, the B3350. The B2650 and B3350 became the LX2610 and LX3310 respectively.

Reactions: 3 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I’d go with the 2650. The 2650 is obviously bigger and more capable, but the mid mount mower attachment system is different than the 2601. I’m not saying it will be an issue for you, but it is different.

One more thought, try to make your decision fast. Most used tractors are going pretty quickly.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
4wd will do more damage than 2wd. Driving over the same spot with anything will compact the soil, stunt grass growth. The 2650 is more tractor than 2601. Own BX2370 for lawn mower, B2650 (loaded tires) for everything else. R14 tires may be better, have R4 on both tractors.

Are you using something else to mow lawn? If so go with loaded tires for loader work. If tire chains may be used in the future 1.5 or 2" wheel spacers before having tires loaded. Also consider 3pt quick hitch.

Add 3rd function if you will add a grapple, 2 or 3 rear remotes. I have 1 wish I ordered all 3 (top N tilt needs 2)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
B2650 has been a good tractor. It is/was the largest and most “luxurious” of the B tractors. There were 2 tractors in the B50 series. The bigger of the 2, the B3350 had to have a dpf system because of its engine size, and the mechanism they chose for regeneration did not work reliably, and got a bad reputation. The 2650 has no such features and is normal. They renamed both to LX this year and put a different engine in the L3350.

If you have a chance to get a nearly new B2650, jump on it. Read the threads on here by people that bought 2601s sight unseen and find some things didn’t suit them at all. If you can drive the 2650 and see if you like how it runs you are golden. Never mind the warranty.

I have the cabbed B2650 with turfs and a mmm. Loaded tires for snow blowing. I mow my lawn with it fine. Does not tear up the turf unless I forget and leave it in 4wd.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Buy B2650 but fit turf tires, load the rear tires. I have an L3901 that I run on my lawns at home part of the year, I selected turf tires, it leaves no marks unless ground is really wet. Turfs are good in snow too. I use the turfs in woodland and fields too, they cope well.

Tractor weight is important for some tasks, you will appreciate higher ground clearance and weight over time.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I will 8th the 2650 suggestions. just get the 2650.

@bird dogger what tiller are you running on your 2650?

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
10) B2650. The difference in weight is minimal. But the B2650 has better ground clearance, more torque and more lifting capacity.

I don't understand the issue with warranty. The warranty should start when the tractor is put into service (ie, sold).

Now go snag that machine before someone else does and enjoy it!

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
11th person to say get the b2650. In fact stop reading our reply’s and head out to get it before it is gone.

• Haha

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I will 8th the 2650 suggestions. just get the 2650.

@bird dogger what tiller are you running on your 2650?
I've had an older Howard Rotavator that now tills behind the B2650. It's about a 60" coverage or just shy of that. Not sure if there's even a data plate on it anymore. :) If there is, I'll post the model number. It will cover the tracks of the B2650. It was sort of a "donor" to me in lieu of some work performed and needed some rebuilding. It does the job but I don't know if I'd recommend it over some of the newer brands today. But the old beast just won't die so I'm stuck with it. LOL!
Before the B2650, it tilled for years behind the old JD750 that is now in semi retirement.

Beacon11

Mar 29, 2021
WA
Thank you all, you definitely put my mind at ease on all my concerns. I pulled the trigger on the B2650 this morning. Note that I'm not planning on mowing my lawn with this (I'm not even getting a belly mower). I have a separate, much smaller mower that I'll use for my lawn. My only concern was that the tractor will be living in a shed where the only way to get anywhere is to drive over the top of my lawn, and I don't want something that will leave huge ruts. Given that some of you even mow your lawn with this thing, I feel very confident that my periodic passing won't be an issue as long as I don't leave it in 4WD.

You also completely eased my concern about the line discontinuation, and I think the move makes sense. Having the different frame sizes all called "B" was probably incredibly confusing.

Thanks again everyone, you've definitely provided a great welcome to a newcomer. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I learn my way around this thing, and I'll post pictures soon.

Reactions: 4 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Thank you all, you definitely put my mind at ease on all my concerns. I pulled the trigger on the B2650 this morning. Note that I'm not planning on mowing my lawn with this (I'm not even getting a belly mower). I have a separate, much smaller mower that I'll use for my lawn. My only concern was that the tractor will be living in a shed where the only way to get anywhere is to drive over the top of my lawn, and I don't want something that will leave huge ruts. Given that some of you even mow your lawn with this thing, I feel very confident that my periodic passing won't be an issue as long as I don't leave it in 4WD.

You also completely eased my concern about the line discontinuation, and I think the move makes sense. Having the different frame sizes all called "B" was probably incredibly confusing.

Thanks again everyone, you've definitely provided a great welcome to a newcomer. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I learn my way around this thing, and I'll post pictures soon.
Congrats on your new purchase!! You won't be disappointed. Now we can get busy with spending your money on attachments! LOL! With your woods and brush to pile and move you'll want to think about a grapple, especially if your tractor is equipped with the SSQA loader. A few of us added our own after market 3rd function valves for the grapple and it's easily doable. There's write ups documenting that process here on OTT.

If you'll have trails to clear and maintain, at some point you could consider a flail mower. Lots of discussion on them here too.

Even in 4 wheel drive, unless your making somewhat sharp turns or turns in soft ground, you shouldn't mark up your lawn at all. When moving from one side to the other if hauling brush, etc., I try to never run in the same tracks twice. I use a 3 point rear finish mower for all my mowing needs without any issues. I don't have loaded tires and have never had any reason to have them loaded. But we're pretty flat here so that might be a big factor. The only times loaded tires might be nice is when mowing the ditches.....but that's only a few times during the summer. Using 4 wheel drive keeps the tractor planted on the sides of the ditch and keeps it from slipping down hill.

And if you'll have lots of leaves to take care of in the fall, we'll need to talk about a PTO powered leaf blower! :)

Welcome aboard, and congrats on your new mechanical steed!!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Beacon11

Mar 29, 2021
WA
Thank you! Haha, I got a few implements to start out with. I needed a brush mower and a tiller, so I got a Land Pride RCR1260 and RTR1258 respectively. I certainly got SSQA, and I was thinking about a grapple indeed, but I don't have the capital to swing a a third function at the moment, much less a grapple. Definitely something to consider for the future, though, and I'm glad to hear folks have done them around here.

I got the 60" bucket. Should I be reinforcing that, somehow? I've read that it can bend a bit, depending on what you're doing of course. I'd like to be able to back drag my driveway without that happening, at least.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
are you sure you want rearward rotation chain drive tiller? ;)
just stirring the pot now :) did you say driveway? = box blade

Beacon11

Mar 29, 2021
WA
are you sure you want rearward rotation chain drive tiller? ;)
Ha! My thinking on that was that I live in a place where I can dig a hole deep enough to install a frost-free hydrant and find a single stone about the size of my thumb. I figured the reverse would just make quicker work of it, but I'd be happy to be re-educated. I definitely won't pretend to be an expert in this. I believe the RTR1258 has a slip clutch though, was that your concern?

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Thank you! Haha, I got a few implements to start out with. I needed a brush mower and a tiller, so I got a Land Pride RCR1260 and RTR1258 respectively. I certainly got SSQA, and I was thinking about a grapple indeed, but I don't have the capital to swing a a third function at the moment, much less a grapple. Definitely something to consider for the future, though, and I'm glad to hear folks have done them around here.

I got the 60" bucket. Should I be reinforcing that, somehow? I've read that it can bend a bit, depending on what you're doing of course. I'd like to be able to back drag my driveway without that happening, at least.
I have the 54 inch bucket on mine so I can't help you with info on the 60 incher. However, with the advice from a lot of members here, I added this: BXpanded Piranha Toothbar
It does stiffen up the front lip some as a side benefit. But really turns your bucket into a mean digging machine. It works really well for clearing brush and digging into hard pack or virgin ground, gravel, stones, etc. It definitely gives you your most bang for the bucks for your FEL. If you search "Piranha Toothbar" on OTT you'll see lots of opinions on the toothbar. If you decide to order one, do it right away as the lead time can be excessive due to the demand, workforce shortage, steel shortage, etc., etc. Hopefully they're catching up on orders and the supply line is getting back to somewhat normal.

davidmem

Equipment
Soon to be owner of Kubota B2601 Toro TimeCutter Model 7577
Mar 14, 2021
Bethany, CT
And if you'll have lots of leaves to take care of in the fall, we'll need to talk about a PTO powered leaf blower! :)
PTO leaf blower? Whoa..... This sounds interesting. I just sold my 30-lb backpack leaf blower because my back is giving me trouble. Any suggestions?