Volvo VCS coolant in a BX25?

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Coolants are not my thing. Ever since green went out of fashion, I've been lost. Now I need to get edumacated.

I have found myself the owner of about 50-60 gallons of fresh, clean Volvo VCS coolant. I bought a bunch of IBC totes for firewood and one of them contained this coolant. (See pic).

I did some research, and found it's an OAT coolant, but I haven't been able to find much more on it. Volvo uses it for all of their big equipment and it sees use in marine engines, both gas and diesel. Volvo does say this:

Does not contain nitrates, amines or phosphates.

More info:

This site says it's an ELC type, which is Greek to me.

Since I'm overdue for a flush, I'd love it if I can confirm that this yellow stuff is good for orange tractors. Anybody know? I mean, know?

(It'd be nice if I could put it in my 1996 Blazer, too.)

Or is it critical?

And please, those of you who are going to have a hissy fit because it does not say, "Kubota" on the label, please save it. I'm looking for answers to this particular question, not lectures on The Great Heresy of Departing From The Divine Kubota.

Volvo coolant reduced.jpeg.jpg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Coolants are not my thing. Ever since green went out of fashion, I've been lost. Now I need to get edumacated.

I have found myself the owner of about 50-60 gallons of fresh, clean Volvo VCS coolant. I bought a bunch of IBC totes for firewood and one of them contained this coolant. (See pic).

I did some research, and found it's an OAT coolant, but I haven't been able to find much more on it. Volvo uses it for all of their big equipment and it sees use in marine engines, both gas and diesel. Volvo does say this:

More info:

This site says it's an ELC type, which is Greek to me.

Since I'm overdue for a flush, I'd love it if I can confirm that this yellow stuff is good for orange tractors. Anybody know? I mean, know?

(It'd be nice if I could put it in my 1996 Blazer, too.)

Or is it critical?

And please, those of you who are going to have a hissy fit because it does not say, "Kubota" on the label, please save it. I'm looking for answers to this particular question, not lectures on The Great Heresy of Departing From The Divine Kubota.

View attachment 83889
ELC = Extended Life Coolant.
OAT = Organic Acid Technology

Standard stuff in this day and age. All Kubota specifies is an ELC coolant. Use it and be happy.

Dan

Reactions: 4 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Well, alrighty then! :D

Sounds like I scored. :)

Just a bonus on top of getting 16 pretty clean IBC totes for twenty bucks each. They are great for firewood storage, and my 3PH carryall moves them around easily. This company advertises them on Craigslist about once a year, and they are snapped up. I did the snapping this time.

There's a place near me that sells them constantly for $20, but they have mulch dye in them and I tried that. NEVER AGAIN! Too much mess!

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Well, alrighty then! :D

Sounds like I scored. :)

Just a bonus on top of getting 16 pretty clean IBC totes for twenty bucks each. They are great for firewood storage, and my 3PH carryall moves them around easily. This company advertises them on Craigslist about once a year, and they are snapped up. I did the snapping this time.
Color me jealous! I thought about using IBC totes for firewood a couple of years ago, but I haven't found a local source anywhere close to that price. What a score.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Yeah, most around here are $100 on a good day, or $130. But they are food grade. Don't need that for firewood.

I was hoping my BX would lift them with the forks, so I could set a filled tote up on my deck, but not even close. Wet oak is heavy!

But the 3PH lets me get them close, and it's a night and day improvement. No more careful stacking. Empty tote gets parked by the spliter. The wood comes off the splitter into the tote. Once it's full, it gets capped with the bottle (cut in half diagonally) and taken over to sit in the sun until it's needed. Sweet.

Reactions: 1 user

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Yeah, most around here are $100 on a good day, or $130. But they are food grade. Don't need that for firewood.

I was hoping my BX would lift them with the forks, so I could set a filled tote up on my deck, but not even close. Wet oak is heavy!

But the 3PH lets me get them close, and it's a night and day improvement. No more careful stacking. Empty tote gets parked by the spliter. The wood comes off the splitter into the tote. Once it's full, it gets capped with the bottle (cut in half diagonally) and taken over to sit in the sun until it's needed. Sweet.
Today I learned that I'm glad I never found a bunch of IBC totes to store firewood in because my BX23S wouldn't have been able to lift them on forks. Pretty effing brilliant of you to use the bottle as a rain cover. I never would have thought of that.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Pretty effing brilliant of you to use the bottle as a rain cover. I never would have thought of that.

Not my brilliance. It's all over the Internet. Dunno who to credit for it.

But your 3PH will haul them around just fine!

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Not my brilliance. It's all over the Internet. Dunno who to credit for it.

But your 3PH will haul them around just fine!
And I was just starting to feel ok about not having $20 IBC totes 😢

Reactions: 1 user