Vertical exhaust mod on my B5100.

barts

Equipment
4wd B5100, FEL with Piranaha bar, box blade, log arch, 3 point hitch adaptor
I got tired of the exhaust hitting my loader, and the smell of diesel exhaust, so I rotated the muffler to the vertical position as described in the owner's manual. The original (shiny and chrome!) exhaust tip was rusted fast to the muffer, so I carefully cut it off w/ a hacksaw just above the muffler and then removed it w/ more hack sawing. I took a two foot piece of 1 1/2" exhaust tubing and cut four slits in one end and secured it to the muffler with the original clamp. I added a exhaust flapper (both pipe and flapper from Napa - our only auto parts store on the island ) and painted the steel pipe w/ flat black bbq paint. Works like a charm, and no Eau de Diesel (and particulates, etc.).

1645323888094.png

- Bart

Reactions: 2 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Nice!
Did a similar mod myself a few years ago.

IMG_0031.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Lil Foot, what is the chain going from your ROPS to the backhoe boom. A boom locking device?
Correct.
Every B670 BH I have ever heard of will slowly drop to the ground, even after a fresh rebuild.
All the weight of the BH is help up by two tiny o-rings, about 7/16"OD, .050 thk. No seals, just not adequate. 1970s design.
Most folks just leave the PTO engaged, and every 20-30 mins reach back and grab the boom lever & lift it back up. Beside the unnecessary wear on the PTO & pump, I got tired of it, and did a proof of concept test with a ratchet strap. When that worked, I dug in the stash & built the chain/load binder setup pictured above.
You can also see a chain restraint between the outriggers, a swing lock, and the always attached pulling chain.
Roller is 60", 920lbs, and OLD. Guy I bought it from said 80+yrs. Easier to drag it, but much better steering control for those tight spots when attached to the front.
IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0040.JPG

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
My b6100 with b219 fel is vertical. Also noticed a nice difference in unpleasantness from exhaust by pointing my 'flapper' away from me, as both yalls already are.

I am fixing up a B219 FEL b6100 for a friend and his was left pointing forward but physically bent upwards a bit, and it blows directly onto hydraulic hoses at certain loader positions. Pure laziness if you ask me, but there's so much else done wrong to this thing it's just a drop in the bucket.. lol

barts

Equipment
4wd B5100, FEL with Piranaha bar, box blade, log arch, 3 point hitch adaptor
I am fixing up a B219 FEL b6100 for a friend and his was left pointing forward but physically bent upwards a bit, and it blows directly onto hydraulic hoses at certain loader positions. Pure laziness if you ask me, but there's so much else done wrong to this thing it's just a drop in the bucket.. lol
This is how mine was... as I added the loader to this tractor, the original position made sense in that it directed the exhaust away from the operator. Of course, it rusted solid in that position over the years.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I like the smell of diesel exhaust but hopefully can modify the MX6000 so that it looks like the M6060. I much prefer the look of a vertical stack on a tractor. That's how they were on my dad's farm many, many years ago.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Is that a barbell weight on your rear wheel?
Yes.
Posts #3,4,8,10
and
Post #5
Now I have 35lbs on each front wheel & a 75lb & 25lb on each rear wheel.

Reactions: 1 user

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
So i did put a 'turndown' on this 6100 im fixing up for my friend. Before the muffler blew straight forward onto the loader crossmember/hoses leaving that whole area sooty and potentially overheated under certain conditions. I had a muffler on my parts tractor b7100 that had a 90 degree turn upwards and then a strange but factory-looking bracket on it. I dont know what it was for, but i cut the 90 out of it and welded it to the muffler on this 6100 pointing nearly straight down, but turned towards the center of the tractor just a bit.

3EAFABFF-7828-48D2-BDB2-EDB1BDFD1E25.jpg

Even in this heavily cropped photo you can still see clues of how much a mess the whole tractor is.. those hoses just visible on the right were finally replaced yesterday (replaced all but 2 of the loader hoses which were already pretty new and correct length).

Anyway, welding such thin and rusty metal as this was a fun challenge. I ended up basically 'tacking' it all the way around, but even tacking is too strong a word. I turned my welder down as far as it would go, until it would spark/strike an arc but not sustain it. Basically each trigger pull would get one tiny dab of 'weld'. I did that all the way around and flap disc'd it flush. You can see the shinier band where i did that. It was definitely turd polishing but i suspect it will never come off considering the application, and it addressed the problem for no money. When i post the 'rebuild thread' for this tractor you'll see the extent that i had to pick my battles.. this muffler problem just wasn't ever going to be the top of the list, so it got this. (y)😂