V.O.M.A.D. and Fishing Boat Project

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
So you made your own 4-stroke outboard? Cool! We need pictures!

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Very cool. The size of those Glasstrons is really put in scale by the shot of 6 people crowding into one.

The old, wide, wooden skiis are particularly useful when trying to get an adult up behind and old wooden boat with a whopping 35hp. ;-) I don't have an air chair -- never even tried one. Might get one up behind the twin 25s on the aluminium rat boat but I doubt there would be any hope behind the wood one. Mahogany may float, but it's still heavy!
There wasn't much freeboard, for sure! LOL! Until 4 of them jumped out for their "pull". Our record was 5 people up behind the boat on skis and wakeboards at one time. Procedure: Two people way up front and a little to each side. Two almost straight out from the back of the boat with some slack in the ropes. One person straight back from the boat. By the time the up front ropes are taut and pulling those skiers out, the others have made it out and up without falling. After the lengthy set up for starting, if anybody didn't make it up or fell over later, they got quite a friendly verbal thrashing. Lots of fun and looks from others to see that many skiers behind such a small boat.

Our old wide wood skis also taught many a person to get up on skis. They were red "Polar Kings" and you can see them in one pic above screwed to the bottom of a folding lawn chair. That also got some looks on the water. :ROFLMAO:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
And here I thought my putting a B&S motor on a junk Ted Williams outboard for 12 foot Jon boat was a big deal,, some of you guys are amazing!!! (y)(y)(y)😲
I second Torch's motion. We need pictures, Skeets!!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I second Torch's motion. We need pictures, Skeets!!
Hell back then, it was something to do with Pap, ( 40 some years ago) he was a machinist and he made the coupler and spacers. We even used the down tube so the exhaust would blow out under water. And to be honest, I wish I had pictures of Pap and I doing some stuff. Some days I sure do miss the old man

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Ah, yes, I get it. We now live in a world of cheap, easy digital photography; it's easy to forget the days when photos were expensive and time consuming.

Fortunately you still have your memories of Pap.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Here’s the end result with a vintage 18 HP Evinrude mounted.
That's a great sorry and collection.

The only experience I have with outboards was when I had a fishing boat with an Optimax that spent more time in the shop than the water.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There wasn't much freeboard, for sure! LOL! Until 4 of them jumped out for their "pull". Our record was 5 people up behind the boat on skis and wakeboards at one time. Procedure: Two people way up front and a little to each side. Two almost straight out from the back of the boat with some slack in the ropes. One person straight back from the boat. By the time the up front ropes are taut and pulling those skiers out, the others have made it out and up without falling. After the lengthy set up for starting, if anybody didn't make it up or fell over later, they got quite a friendly verbal thrashing. Lots of fun and looks from others to see that many skiers behind such a small boat.

Our old wide wood skis also taught many a person to get up on skis. They were red "Polar Kings" and you can see them in one pic above screwed to the bottom of a folding lawn chair. That also got some looks on the water. :ROFLMAO:
Those wide skis must have been what I needed! Have memories of being towed half way around Pyramid Lake in a folded position, was NOT going to let go, and couldn't get up either! My only experience with water skiing. Must take more practice.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
That's a great sorry and collection.

The only experience I have with outboards was when I had a fishing boat with an Optimax that spent more time in the shop than the water.
aaluck, that seems to be most people's experience. It's certainly been mine the last few years! LOL. Necessities higher up the priority list always seem to pop up just when the weather is nice and I'm ready to hook up the boat. No complaints here though, as it's nice to both keep busy and still be able to do/help with those priorities.

Those wide skis must have been what I needed! Have memories of being towed half way around Pyramid Lake in a folded position, was NOT going to let go, and couldn't get up either! My only experience with water skiing. Must take more practice.
Those wide "Polar King" skis would pop anybody up out of the water instantly. So yes, sheepfarmer, for the first time on water skis the right set of beginner skis and the right boat driver make a world of difference. We couldn't count how many kids to adults first skied with those skis. But once up you couldn't do anything but stay behind the boat 'cuz they were that stable. But it was like riding a bike. In no time you learned to pop up on those skis and were ready for a pair of regular skis and the fun would begin. Nothing but smiles on the faces of those first time skiers. My wife is a year older than I. Has two hips replaced, but still loves to get up on a pair of water skis for a ride behind the boat. She has given up the slalom ski, though.
David

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I remember as a kid we went down to Neville Island to fish off the old lock wall. And there were tons of boats out, and one ol gal was trying to ski,, start out ,,splash,, again,,, splash,, after about 5 or 6 time she got up. She was all smiles and showing off waving to us kids as she went by,, we of course waved back and yelled and laughed. Was about 10 min before she figured out, her bathing suit top had been pulled down around her waist. But at least she got up on the skis, and we got an eye full and a pretty cool story to tell

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

fukaerisans

Nov 11, 2021
Denver
The photos fit very well into your post, and I would like to know if you have finished your boat repair and were able to release it into the water. A lovely boat; I like such small designs. As a rule, they are the most convenient to use. I like to repair and sell old ships; this is a kind of hobby for me. There are, of course, days when I want to relax on a more professional level; in such cases, I turn to vistayachts.com, as these are very experienced guys with good service. It's just lovely for me to read such stories and look at the photos of how your process was progressing as if I'm doing it myself through the screen

Last edited: