UTV for spraying setup

Wolfpack1314

Equipment
L3560
Jan 12, 2021
North Carolina
Howdy folks,

Looking to get a UTV spraying setup for my business. Planning on putting a skid unit in the bed with tank, pump, reel, etc. Loaded payload weight will be 800+lbs. and will be spray on slopes and uneven terrain quite a bit. So I do need a decent ground clearance as well. I know that’s a lot to ask out of any UTV.

Sidekick or 1120D? I like the multi purpose idea of the sidekick but I’m not sure about the CVT tranny vs the hydro for what I’m doing.

Also not dead set on a kubota. I like the shaft drive idea of the Honda
pioneer. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
If you want a lower center of gravity and plenty of torque - Kubota it is.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Do you plan to drive it from place to place - i.e. will top speed matter? For everything except top speed, the diesel with HST would be more durable and reliable. But top speed is a real killer.

Wolfpack1314

Equipment
L3560
Jan 12, 2021
North Carolina
Top speed does play a part. I surely will not be flying around with the equipment in it. But it would be nice to get around a bit quicker with other tasks.
There will be a lot of slow spraying and stop-and-go type use. Which is why I am somewhat concerned with the “jumpiness” of the CVT trans at low speeds. Although I do not have any experience with a Sidekick so it might surprise me.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
For what's its worth post. (which might not be a lot, lol).
All three of these machines have been on my oak savanna restoration project comprised of about 28 acres of mulching, herbiciding and native seeding.
The fellow on the green machine, which I believe is a Polaris also?, spends a large part of his time spraying. His full time business is habitat creation and restoration.
The two red machines belong to the US Fish and Wildlife, Partners for wildlife program.
IF not mistaken I think all three had Honda engines for the sprayer pump.

My observations watching them spray. I was surprised as how fast they traveled over the landscape while spraying, both boom and hand wand, which also includes some very rough terrain and hilly terrain. Traction was not an issue that I could tell.

Being a Kubota fan I had asked if either owner considered a Kubota utv, both had said "yes". I did not press them for reasons that they chose these machines.

DSC07926.JPG
IMG_3048.JPG
DSC08446.JPG

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I have hauled several different machines for a rental company. Some were new and some were worn out but I have not found one that was not jerky when starting from a dead stop. Sort of wind up the motor and then it takes off. Is there a brand that works more like a HST tractor? Smooth easy starts and stops.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I also use a Polaris Ranger 900 with a 60 gal Demco skid tank for spraying, it carries it well. I'm not a fan of the belt and clutch drive of these Rangers for real heavy work.

I'm seriously considering a Japanese Mini Truck for off road utility use on my land, there are many used older low mileage models coming into the US, Suzuki Carry (pre 2014 needed) or Daihatsu Hijet, they carry about 1,000lbs and are typically raised and fitted with UTV tires, they have 4wd Hi and Lo gear case with diff locks. The side and rear pick up bed sides fold down to give a flat platform. They are available used for much less than any off road vehicle and come with a cab that has heat and AC. In many states they are legal on the road. I have a local dealer in Michigan who is lifting them, adding off road wheel and tires, brand new they are in the $17K price range for a basic model.

Many available used in the $7K price range, they are growing very fast. All shaft drive with a great 4WD system.

images.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I also use a Polaris Ranger 900 with a 60 gal Demco skid tank for spraying, it carries it well. I'm not a fan of the belt and clutch drive of these Rangers for real heavy work.

I'm seriously considering a Japanese Mini Truck for off road utility use on my land, there are many used older low mileage models coming into the US, Suzuki Carry (pre 2014 needed) or Daihatsu Hijet, they carry about 1,000lbs and are typically raised and fitted with UTV tires, they have 4wd Hi and Lo gear case with diff locks. The side and rear pick up bed sides fold down to give a flat platform. They are available used for much less than any off road vehicle and come with a cab that has heat and AC. In many states they are legal on the road. I have a local dealer in Michigan who is lifting them, adding off road wheel and tires, brand new they are in the $17K price range for a basic model.

Many available used in the $7K price range, they are growing very fast. All shaft drive with a great 4WD system.

View attachment 53371

Very intriguing , thanks for posting. These little trucks check lots of boxes .
heated and cooled cab, four wheel drive, even power steering, auto transmissions.

Wolfpack1314

Equipment
L3560
Jan 12, 2021
North Carolina
All three of these machines have been on my oak savanna restoration project comprised of about 28 acres of mulching, herbiciding and native seeding.
The fellow on the green machine, which I believe is a Polaris also?, spends a large part of his time spraying. His full time business is habitat creation and restoration.
The two red machines belong to the US Fish and Wildlife, Partners for wildlife program.

My observations watching them spray. I was surprised as how fast they traveled over the landscape while spraying, both boom and hand wand, which also includes some very rough terrain and hilly terrain. Traction was not an issue that I could tell.

Being a Kubota fan I had asked if either owner considered a Kubota utv, both had said "yes". I did not press them for reasons that they chose these machines.

View attachment 53368 View attachment 53369 View attachment 53370

View attachment 53368 View attachment 53369 View attachment 53370
That is good to know. Thanks. I would be curious to know the reason they run Rangers. Wonder if US Fish & Wildlife has a deal with them?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Very intriguing , thanks for posting. These little trucks check lots of boxes .
heated and cooled cab, four wheel drive, even power steering, auto transmissions.
Ken, I have a very large hunting property, current UTV and ATV are all too loud, these mini trucks are extremely quiet, I plan to use one to take several older family members to their hunting blinds, they have been on the road for decades in other countries and are super reliable.

when I purchased my ranger for $15,000 4 years ago I spent a lot of extra money for a front windshield, a roof panel and a rear window. If you look to have doors and heat you are at $22-25K.

A used mini truck is cheaper than most ATV today. I think we will see a lot more of them.

Wolfpack1314

Equipment
L3560
Jan 12, 2021
North Carolina
Ken, I have a very large hunting property, current UTV and ATV are all too loud, these mini trucks are extremely quiet, I plan to use one to take several older family members to their hunting blinds, they have been on the road for decades in other countries and are super reliable.

when I purchased my ranger for $15,000 4 years ago I spent a lot of extra money for a front windshield, a roof panel and a rear window. If you look to have doors and heat you are at $22-25K.

A used mini truck is cheaper than most ATV today. I think we will see a lot more of them.
I agree. Usually japanese machines are pretty reliable but inevitably something will break/wear out...do you know how available replacement parts are for these mini trucks? Could be a good option for me

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I agree. Usually japanese machines are pretty reliable but inevitably something will break/wear out...do you know how available replacement parts are for these mini trucks? Could be a good option for me
Parts appear to be readily available for the pre 2014 Suzuki and Daihatsu Hijet. The Suzuki appears to be the most common truck made and imported. Pre 2014 because the suspension lift kit is less than $200 and easy to fit and there is a lot of clearance to fit 23 x 8 x 12 off road tires, after 2013 Suzuki changed the cab design and there is little front wheel clearance, Daihatsu Hijet is apparently the better newer model with more cab room. You can also get a dump model. The rear bed on a current Daihatsu is 78” long x 54” wide, with the sides folded down you can fork load the flat bed. There is a mini truck forum online.
There are other makes but they appear to have less of the market. Engines are all 660 cc EFI, after 199?.

Many farms, ranches and hunters are using them. Many large industrial businesses,hospitals, campuses etc are using them. A great solution that does tick many boxes, downside is right hand drive and older are mainly stick with clutch.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I have hauled several different machines for a rental company. Some were new and some were worn out but I have not found one that was not jerky when starting from a dead stop. Sort of wind up the motor and then it takes off. Is there a brand that works more like a HST tractor? Smooth easy starts and stops.
The diesel Kubotas are sort of a BX underneath - they have an HST and a similar motor to the BX. They're as jerky as an HST usually is I believe.

Top speed does play a part. I surely will not be flying around with the equipment in it. But it would be nice to get around a bit quicker with other tasks.
There will be a lot of slow spraying and stop-and-go type use. Which is why I am somewhat concerned with the “jumpiness” of the CVT trans at low speeds. Although I do not have any experience with a Sidekick so it might surprise me.
I'm thinking about getting from job to job. If you're trailering it to the job site, then I'd look seriously at the diesel Kubota. If you plan on driving it on the road to the job site, then I think the Kubota will be too slow. So far as I can tell the only real downside of the diesels is the top speed - and since many people use them for hooning around forest trails, being slower than all your friends is a real downer.

I think the Kubota can be got with a PTO? I wonder if you could drive your spray pump off that rather than a separate Honda, might be a savings hiding in there. Having said that, my brother is a spray contractor with a big spray truck, and even on that he has a separate spray pump, so maybe there's a good reason they're not PTO driven.

SAITCHO

Equipment
B26,Tajfun logging winch,Box scraper, Log grapple
Sep 5, 2016
Canada
I own a mini truck for about 2 years and I am never going back to a UTV. The bed space and the heated cab are just amazing. I carried 2000 lbs of water/pump in there with no issues.
IMG_20200830_151014115_HDR.jpg

Reactions: 1 users