using the grapple or backhoe to remove brush

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I have acres of brush and part of my intention for the grapple and backhoe was to quickly remove the brush without getting off the tractor and using a chain to pull each individual plant. the plant are 1" - 3" and from 2 ft to 12 ft. I will get some pics today to post.

I tried using the grapple to try to get under a 1" -2 ft high bush and could not move it not at all. the bush is small so hard to grip with the grapple so I used the back hoe and it also could not pull the root of the small brush. I had to dig on both sides to get the root out that took considerably longer than using a chain or rope to pull.

I wonder if there is a technique or method that I do not know that will help utilize the tools more effectively or if my grapple and back hoe need spinach or something. It seems like this should be doable at least on the smaller brush . I would like to the roots as it will just grow back if I do not. thank you

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
What kind of brush? I remove Japanese barberry and multi flora rose very fast with a grapple. I also take out rather large Russian olives with the grapple. There is a technique to it.

I have to use the backhoe for things like black walnut and other proper trees.

So, what kinds of brush?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have acres of brush and part of my intention for the grapple and backhoe was to quickly remove the brush without getting off the tractor and using a chain to pull each individual plant. the plant are 1" - 3" and from 2 ft to 12 ft. I will get some pics today to post.

I tried using the grapple to try to get under a 1" -2 ft high bush and could not move it not at all. the bush is small so hard to grip with the grapple so I used the back hoe and it also could not pull the root of the small brush. I had to dig on both sides to get the root out that took considerably longer than using a chain or rope to pull.

I wonder if there is a technique or method that I do not know that will help utilize the tools more effectively or if my grapple and back hoe need spinach or something. It seems like this should be doable at least on the smaller brush . I would like to the roots as it will just grow back if I do not. thank you
Technique = bigger backhoe, with thumb!

Reactions: 1 users

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
thank you here are some pictures of the brush the land is mostly beach rock with enough dirt to keep the rocks from knocking together when the wind blows hard.

I do have a thumb and have used it to move logs and rocks that the grapple cannot reach . I really only have less than 2 hours using the backhoe here is an idea of the brush and a storm cleanup picture with the grapple on.

Attachments

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I have the BXpanded ripper tooth on the end of my backhoe (BH77) for ripping out brush and small trees. Using the ripper tooth is night and day difference over the bucket on small trees and brush. With all the breakout force put into a single point the small brush is easily plucked out. A few roots sliced with the ripper first on the larger tenacious brush/small trees is usually all it takes for them to come out easy. No big holes to fill in afterwards.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I have been continuing the brushwork part on a project this week and was hoping the grapple would do it better but I have not had good success in my case. My LP grapple is great at picking up piles and the tree work I mostly use it for, but I have too many sunken boulders to push it ripping roots in this area...

I have had easier & cleaner success using the BH to pull everything fanning out within reach and make piles. Once I had a bunch of these, I used the grapple to quickly load the trailer (behind Jeep - 4'x8'x3') in heaping loads to dump. There are a lot of big & little stumps mixed in with the regrowth brush as I have been planning this for a while :cool:

IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_4205.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Start about 1’ away from the bush you want gone. Angle the tips of your grapple toward ground and drive forward. Grab whatever piles up, that should do it for the small ones. Bigger ones may need dug/pushed from all sides.

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
thank you here are some pictures of the brush the land is mostly beach rock with enough dirt to keep the rocks from knocking together when the wind blows hard.

I do have a thumb and have used it to move logs and rocks that the grapple cannot reach . I really only have less than 2 hours using the backhoe here is an idea of the brush and a storm cleanup picture with the grapple on.
Rent one of these, you won't want to do it any other way after
1652008593560.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I have been continuing the brushwork part on a project this week and was hoping the grapple would do it better but I have not had good success in my case. My LP grapple is great at picking up piles and the tree work I mostly use it for, but I have too many sunken boulders to push it ripping roots in this area...

I have had easier & cleaner success using the BH to pull everything fanning out within reach and make piles. Once I had a bunch of these, I used the grapple to quickly load the trailer (behind Jeep - 4'x8'x3') in heaping loads to dump. There are a lot of big & little stumps mixed in with the regrowth brush as I have been planning this for a while :cool:

View attachment 79589

View attachment 79591

View attachment 79593
I think I have the same situation there are so many rocks that it is hard for the grapple to get to the root.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I have the BXpanded ripper tooth on the end of my backhoe (BH77) for ripping out brush and small trees. Using the ripper tooth is night and day difference over the bucket on small trees and brush. With all the breakout force put into a single point the small brush is easily plucked out. A few roots sliced with the ripper first on the larger tenacious brush/small trees is usually all it takes for them to come out easy. No big holes to fill in afterwards.
thank you I will look into the ripper that may be the answer the 16" bucket may just be too big

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Start about 1’ away from the bush you want gone. Angle the tips of your grapple toward ground and drive forward. Grab whatever piles up, that should do it for the small ones. Bigger ones may need dug/pushed from all sides.
thank you I will try that next time I have the grapple on

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
BH w thumb gets my vote. I plucked out a whole bunch of sumac last year that way. Had to move around + got chased off the BH once by yellow jackets.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
BH w thumb gets my vote. I plucked out a whole bunch of sumac last year that way. Had to move around + got chased off the BH once by yellow jackets.
thank you I moved several spruce trees today in a few minutes each it maybe just inexperience. I will try using the thumb more.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
chainsaw close to ground, spray stumps with Roundup ??
Big issue is the rocks, lack of soil.
I've dug hole this side of bush, then use BH to pull,rotate bush into hole. Ain't fast and depneds on root structure of 'bush'.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Rent one of these, you won't want to do it any other way after
View attachment 79603
1652048131216.png

One of the larger landowners in the valley has one of these and uses it to maintain the edges of his fields and meadows among other things. Saw it in action about two weeks ago - AWESOME TOOL/"TOY"!!

Reactions: 1 user