Using paper bags in BX bagger

tractormd

Jul 24, 2021
Maryland
I am only using the bagger in the fall to collect the massive amount of leaves I have. The bagger manual says one can put paper lawn bags in the bagger. This would be very convenient because they could be picked up with the trash. Unfortunately, I tried this and it did not work so well. I found that the paper bags would not stay open instead the bagger, and much of the leaves/grass clippings accumulated around the sides of the paper bags and on top, eventually collapsing the bag and leaving a big mess. I was wondering whether anyone had a solution to this? I was thinking about maybe clipping the paper bags with binder clips to the mental ring on the top of the bagger so they would stay open but I don't want to risk any foreign objects getting instead the bagger.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Light to Medium cover of leaves, its better to much them in.
My grass is very healthy and vigorous, I much in even the heaviest cover of leaves, grass loves it.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I am only using the bagger in the fall to collect the massive amount of leaves I have. The bagger manual says one can put paper lawn bags in the bagger. This would be very convenient because they could be picked up with the trash. Unfortunately, I tried this and it did not work so well. I found that the paper bags would not stay open instead the bagger, and much of the leaves/grass clippings accumulated around the sides of the paper bags and on top, eventually collapsing the bag and leaving a big mess. I was wondering whether anyone had a solution to this? I was thinking about maybe clipping the paper bags with binder clips to the mental ring on the top of the bagger so they would stay open but I don't want to risk any foreign objects getting instead the bagger.
Transfer the bagged leaves to the paper bags? You can rig up something that will hold the bags open for filling? You don’t have an area of woods to just “dump” the leaves as you fill the bagger? Outside of these things, perhaps pay to have a professional take your leaves away with a leaf loader. Or just keep struggling with the paper bags.

tractormd

Jul 24, 2021
Maryland
Transfer the bagged leaves to the paper bags? You can rig up something that will hold the bags open for filling? You don’t have an area of woods to just “dump” the leaves as you fill the bagger? Outside of these things, perhaps pay to have a professional take your leaves away with a leaf loader. Or just keep struggling with the paper bags.
I do have woods, but they are not my woods. They belong to the county. So technically dumping leaves would be littering. I have tried to find someone to just vaccuum them from the curb but that seems a nonexistant service. Maybe I will try filling the paper bags myself. Or just chopping them up and seeing what happens. One year several years ago I did not clean up the leaves and in the spring there was a sludgey mess.

Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I do have woods, but they are not my woods. They belong to the county. So technically dumping leaves would be littering. I have tried to find someone to just vaccuum them from the curb but that seems a nonexistant service. Maybe I will try filling the paper bags myself. Or just chopping them up and seeing what happens. One year several years ago I did not clean up the leaves and in the spring there was a sludgey mess.
Hmmm…I wouldn’t consider mother nature’s falling leaves “litter”…once in the woods they would break down and become part of the woods…do you have tattletale neighbors? 😂
I would dump those leaves in the county woods and spread them out to look “natural”😇

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Hmmm…I wouldn’t consider mother nature’s falling leaves “litter”…once in the woods they would break down and become part of the woods…do you have tattletale neighbors? 😂
I would dump those leaves in the county woods and spread them out to look “natural”😇
If questioned I would just say I was returning the leaves to where they came from...doubt anyone will care though...

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
Leaves compost quite easily, make a compost pile and no problem. Leaves that have been ground up or "mulched" as some call it compost even faster.