Used MX5800 vs L5740

Tyvmmm

Equipment
MX5800, Z724x
Feb 7, 2023
NC
What tasks will you be doing? R4's wouldn't be very good for plowing or in the mud, but should be fine for mowing.
SSQA is nice, for about $1500 you should be able to buy an adapter and modify the bucket.
Do you have a dry place to store it? If not, I'd use the 15 grand to build a shelter.
One thing I'd dislike about the L is that the brakes are on the right side, preventing the use of steering brake. Just a personal thing.
Do you have the time and ability to make small repairs and adjustments? With its age, time and extra gadgets, I'd expect a little more TLC on the L, but, personally, I'd take that over the DPF. Either one will require oil changes, etc. Can you do that, or will you have to transport it? Get an Operator Manual and maybe the WorkShop Manual for either one.
One more question: how big of a concern is it if the mx owner has yet to do any maintenance on his tractor up to this point (just over 200 hrs, 5 year old)?

I’m assuming missing the 50 hr maintenance is not a good thing for the engine, but would it deter you if you were a potential buyer? Would it change your approach to maintenance upon purchase?

I haven’t yet seen in person, btw, as it is a few hours away. Hoping to get out there soon.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
One more question: how big of a concern is it if the mx owner has yet to do any maintenance on his tractor up to this point (just over 200 hrs, 5 year old)?

I’m assuming missing the 50 hr maintenance is not a good thing for the engine, but would it deter you if you were a potential buyer? Would it change your approach to maintenance upon purchase?

I haven’t yet seen in person, btw, as it is a few hours away. Hoping to get out there soon.
Nothing in five years? Loader calls for grease every 10 hours, I think. Personally, I'd look it over closely and probably buy it if it checks out. But I'd discount my price for the added wear and potential risk.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
That’s 10 hours of loader use, not ten hours running.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ

200 hours isn't that much. It was a fluid change and check everything at 50 hours, and that's mostly just in case there's metal filings or whatever in the case from new. After that it's every 200 hours anyway. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I would suggest a bit of a discount for it - if nothing else discount the cost of the 200 hour service that's due, plus anything from the 50 hour that hasn't been done already.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I'd look real hard at the engine oil. Maybe even make the sale subject to no metal in the oil, and then drain it and check with a magnet before paying? I doubt a seller would go for that, but you could ask.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE

Are you saying he told you the fifty hour service wasn't done? If it hasn't had any service that would throw up a red flag for me. Most folks that don't service equipment in a timely manner run things hard and put them away wet. Usually talking with someone on the phone you can get a idea on what type of person they are. Then a drive to there place will tell the story of how they are. If the MX checks out I would buy it. Two hundred hours on a five year old tractor is nothing. It still should look like new. If it doesn't I would forget it and keep looking.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

On one hand that is sort of eye brow raising and normally I would not buy anything off someone who said they did zero maintenance…but if they were honest that’s good…at least you know what buying. That being said what is 200hrs of wear? I can’t say how it work for Orange, but break in is really the final machining….and engine wear is a direct result of crud in the oil. That’s not really up for debate. I think question is really if you think it’s a good enough deal, how much of a problem is no oil change for first 200hrs. It’s not apples to apples, but if you consider how many miles a car/truck drives in 200 hrs it’s not much 12000ish…so compared to a first service it’s not awful. If it’s not a smoking deal compared to new, not sure why consider. And if it’s too good to be true I’d worry as well. If you go look at it. read an owners manual first and check the front axle oil depth…be interesting to know if it’s full. I still question why buy used from someone who does no service…granted it’s still new at 200hrs….seems odd to buy a machine like that and not have oil change or give it a little grease…especially the first one. Wonder why they are selling it? I also would wonder is such a great deal why a local dealer would not scoop it up? If really set on the MX, Do you have a reputable dealer that you trust? Maybe make an offer contingent on taking it in and having service done and if all checks out you buy it. If not check out they pay the service. In that case no one really out much. I don’t know any of that helps? Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
…. I was taking the pins out of my bucket to put the forks on for a couple years, and didn't hurt me. Annoying, but I didn't use forks _that_ often, and was only 10-15 minutes.

Either machine can be sold and replaced if your use turns out to require a different sort of machine.
That’s what I thought also. Until I actually bought forks.
First time: Took 4 hours to change from bucket-to-forks-to-bucket. (Sounds crazy, I know. But once those pins are out of position even a minuscule amount … the rest of your afternoon is an angry day.
Next time: Only an hour. Total waste of time when a good adaptor-system makes it a 3-minute operation.

The sellers’ comment he’d done “no maintenance” needs clarification. That statement might only mean he’s had zero trouble with it (but the 50-hr was performed by the dealer)…OR …it might mean hasn’t even checked the oil levels. :(
I wouldn’t walk-away from a 200 hr tractor lacking its 50-hr service, but I’d sure plan on doing it immediately, and I’d cut open that oil-filter and look for metal before I handed-over the payment.
(And FOR SURE I would not pay “new prices” for a tractor just-out of warranty when for nearly the same money you can get the genuine article WITH warranty. (Cared-for tractors these days sell for almost the same money as they did when new, and Dealerships have some very attractive financing to get you into exactly what you want …instead of you having to settle for what’s presently on the used market.)

If the filters are gray in color….the 50-hr was not accomplished. If any other color, at least the filter has been changed (and indicates the service may have been performed.) Ask for copy of the invoice or which dealer did it and ask the dealer for a copy.

In any case, a Kubota Dealer can tell you by Serial Number ..WHEN and to Whom the tractor was first sold and if there are any recorded maintenance or warranty issues accomplished.

AND when buying used: Get a photocopy of the sellers I.D. …HIS Title or evidence of purchase…and obtain a Bill of Sale for YOUR money…...AFTER you’ve run the serial number thru your sherriff office . (Be aware that liens can be against any used equipment being sold, so do your diligence in seeing the title or ownership is clear and that your Bill of Sale includes the seller “perfecting” the sale ”free and clear” if necessary.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

There's a member here that purchased a used MX6000 a couple of years ago with 130+ hours on it and the original owner hadn't done the 50 hour service or any service for that matter. The member in question loves that tractor and has had zero issues. (y)

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
There's a member here that purchased a used MX6000 a couple of years ago with 130+ hours on it and the original owner hadn't done the 50 hour service or any service for that matter. The member in question loves that tractor and has had zero issues. (y)
Really? Who?!

• Haha

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Really? Who?!
I can't recall at the moment but it'll come to me I'm sure. I might be wrong about when it was purchased, when or if it was serviced, if it's been trouble free or even if he likes the tractor. Maybe it was all a dream. :giggle:

Tyvmmm

Equipment
MX5800, Z724x
Feb 7, 2023
NC
A few thoughts and comments based on everyone’s feedback, which I really appreciate!

When I spoke with the seller by phone and I asked him about maintenance history, he said, “I’ll be honest, I haven’t even changed the oil.”

Though not what you want to hear, I think I can take him at his word for that and probably the rest of what he tells me, including his usage history (strictly light bush hogging and occasional hay moving for his animals). I believe it has always been stored in a garage as well, but will confirm. Selling reason is downsizing with retirement. The fact he is an older gentlemen on the brink of retirement leads me to believe he probably hasn’t been riding it hard, in spite of not maintaining as it should have been.

Biggest problem for me is this is out of state a few hours away, so coordinating inspection and other things is a bit of a challenge, especially with my schedule.

I think I’m going to take a trailer up next week and go see it and get a feel in person. I’ll see what his ultimate asking price is and go from there. But I’ll also be comfortable walking away.

What would you do as far as an in person inspection in this case? If you can suggest any good references (video, readings) I’ll be sure to review.

Lastly, is it possible his tractor could have any remaining warranty at this point? I pulled the warranty manual for the year he purchased and the mx would have 72 months or 3000 hrs (potentially one year or less left?). There seems to be conflicting statements about neglecting maintenance being grounds to deny a warranty claim, but also that “KUBOTA cannot deny warranty solely for the lack of receipts or for your failure to ensure the performance of all scheduled maintenance.”

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Carry plenty of CASH…incase its a great deal. Othersie, simply make certain everything works, PTO, alternator output, 4wd etc.
READ THE MANUAL BEFORE YOU INSPECT so you’ll KNOW what to look for (which warning lights should illuminate prior to start…which should extinguish after start, etc.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Ideally, I’d want the machine to be cold when you get there….check fluid levels…air cleaner screen etc…then start it up(I can’t remember you mentioned it is HST or not but if it is and you are not familiar if you could listen to one run before it might put you at ease…they have a little more wine than a gear drive and there is nothing wrong with that but it sounds different…Id want to let it warm up and look listen and smell for anything unusual….if you can park it on concrete or something to see what if anything leaking that would be good, or take an bed sheet or some card board to put down and park over it to see anything leaking….it’s not bad if leaking could just be a loose fitting…but I f something coming from eng or mission case that’s maybe different than a couple drops of hydraulic fluid from a fitting. I’d also want to run the loader and bucket and 3 PTO / PTO for if possible to make sure it works. Take it in out 4WD etc. If not trying all that before you buy, how would it be handled after you leave the drive? Maybe also ask for any of the manuals that it came with, those will be handy. The other thing for after you get (assuming you do) is whether you do the service yourself or not, just figure that nothing has been torqued such as the wheel lugs…I’d plan plan to do that as well when lube and grease everything. Good luck. Share some pics.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A few thoughts and comments based on everyone’s feedback, which I really appreciate!

When I spoke with the seller by phone and I asked him about maintenance history, he said, “I’ll be honest, I haven’t even changed the oil.”

Though not what you want to hear, I think I can take him at his word for that and probably the rest of what he tells me, including his usage history (strictly light bush hogging and occasional hay moving for his animals). I believe it has always been stored in a garage as well, but will confirm. Selling reason is downsizing with retirement. The fact he is an older gentlemen on the brink of retirement leads me to believe he probably hasn’t been riding it hard, in spite of not maintaining as it should have been.

Biggest problem for me is this is out of state a few hours away, so coordinating inspection and other things is a bit of a challenge, especially with my schedule.

I think I’m going to take a trailer up next week and go see it and get a feel in person. I’ll see what his ultimate asking price is and go from there. But I’ll also be comfortable walking away.

What would you do as far as an in person inspection in this case? If you can suggest any good references (video, readings) I’ll be sure to review.

Lastly, is it possible his tractor could have any remaining warranty at this point? I pulled the warranty manual for the year he purchased and the mx would have 72 months or 3000 hrs (potentially one year or less left?). There seems to be conflicting statements about neglecting maintenance being grounds to deny a warranty claim, but also that “KUBOTA cannot deny warranty solely for the lack of receipts or for your failure to ensure the performance of all scheduled maintenance.”
I wouldn't be overly concerned about the lack of oil/filter change to be honest. Or the lack of the hydraulic and transmission filter changes if it's HST. Just get these taken care of ASAP if you buy the tractor. As @rc51stierhoff said, it's better to start out with a cold tractor so that you can check the oil, check the hydraulic fluid level, check the oil in the front axle, look at the color of the coolant, look at the battery, check the overall condition of the tractor and do a cold start to see if it starts easily or smokes excessively. I wouldn't be concerned about water or some blow by from the exhaust for the first few minutes, but it should clear up quickly, and particularly once the engine is up to temperature.

Obviously you'll want to drive it around, make sure all the hydraulics work, listen for unusual or excessive noise (might be hard if you're not familiar with the MX), but overall these tractors are incredible workhorses that'll last for many, many hours and years. Check the PTO and make sure that seals look good, and that oil isn't dripping from underneath the tractor from any gasket or hose fitting. There's a drain poppet type valve underneath the tractor to allow water (from condensation) to drain out. Push the pin in and see if water comes out.

I would check the ballast in the tires and hope that it's not a chloride based product. If it's Rim Guard or some form of beet juice or anything that's non-corrosive to the wheels that'll be good.

The bumper to bumper warranty is only good for 2 years but other warranties might still be in effect. Call the local dealer to check on that.

Good luck and I hope that you come home with an awesome tractor. The MX line is really good value and they're great tractors. Looking forward to photos and a report if you bring it home. :)

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Assuming budget is not an issue I would buy the MX and not be too worried about the missed 50 hour service. I would then do a full service on the MX, it’s very manageable to change all the fluids and filters.

If you do buy the MX I can help you out with owners manual and service manual. I would negotiate a further price reduction for no 50 hour or 200 hour service. Good luck with making a decision.

Tyvmmm

Equipment
MX5800, Z724x
Feb 7, 2023
NC
Assuming budget is not an issue I would buy the MX and not be too worried about the missed 50 hour service. I would then do a full service on the MX, it’s very manageable to change all the fluids and filters.

If you do buy the MX I can help you out with owners manual and service manual. I would negotiate a further price reduction for no 50 hour or 200 hour service. Good luck with making a decision.
If I go through with this and he doesn’t have the manuals I may take you up on this, thanks!

Tyvmmm

Equipment
MX5800, Z724x
Feb 7, 2023
NC
I wouldn't be overly concerned about the lack of oil/filter change to be honest. Or the lack of the hydraulic and transmission filter changes if it's HST. Just get these taken care of ASAP if you buy the tractor. As @rc51stierhoff said, it's better to start out with a cold tractor so that you can check the oil, check the hydraulic fluid level, check the oil in the front axle, look at the color of the coolant, look at the battery, check the overall condition of the tractor and do a cold start to see if it starts easily or smokes excessively. I wouldn't be concerned about water or some blow by from the exhaust for the first few minutes, but it should clear up quickly, and particularly once the engine is up to temperature.

Obviously you'll want to drive it around, make sure all the hydraulics work, listen for unusual or excessive noise (might be hard if you're not familiar with the MX), but overall these tractors are incredible workhorses that'll last for many, many hours and years. Check the PTO and make sure that seals look good, and that oil isn't dripping from underneath the tractor from any gasket or hose fitting. There's a drain poppet type valve underneath the tractor to allow water (from condensation) to drain out. Push the pin in and see if water comes out.

I would check the ballast in the tires and hope that it's not a chloride based product. If it's Rim Guard or some form of beet juice or anything that's non-corrosive to the wheels that'll be good.

The bumper to bumper warranty is only good for 2 years but other warranties might still be in effect. Call the local dealer to check on that.

Good luck and I hope that you come home with an awesome tractor. The MX line is really good value and they're great tractors. Looking forward to photos and a report if you bring it home. :)
Thanks for the encouragement! I’ll definitely report back on what happens when I go and see it.

Tyvmmm

Equipment
MX5800, Z724x
Feb 7, 2023
NC
Well… I went, I saw, I bought it.

The tractor was in great condition! The owner regularly greased it, kept it stored and cleaned, grew up around tractors and had equipment his whole life… just didn’t do the oil for some reason. Got a great deal on it and it came with 6 ft bush hog and bale spear. Has the quick attach bucket as well. Only thing he sold by piecemeal were the pallet forks so unfortunately I didn’t get those.

Not going to lie, in spite of the good deal it still made me a little sick to fork over that much money. I just had to tell myself that if I needed to I could probably sell it more for more than I purchased for.

Anyway, got it home late last night,
changed the oil today and then did a little bushhogging in our muddy pasture. The tractor is a beast. I never got stuck in some pretty significant mud, and only started sliding on a steep hill with some muddy pond overflow I was climbing to cut some of the large weeds.

I was able to approach at an angle, and probably could have done it straight on but there wasn’t much space at the top before the pond so I was being cautious.

I lost power several times via the pto when the mower blades got stuck on some mud/uneven terrain. I didn’t like the feeling of that, but I figured out a few strategies to deal with the terrain I was on. Power washed everything afterward because it was a mess!

Only kind of quirky thing is it’s not always easy to shift between low and med gears. Any tricks to making that easier/getting the feel? I tried a slight push forward on the pedal and let off ( while braking) which sometimes seemed to help, but it wasn’t totally predictable.

One more question: I have the transmission fluid and filter to change that as well. I’m thinking about adding a third function in front because I really want to have grapple capabilities. Would it be best to do the third function install and then change fluid?

Lastly, I found out I have two more weeks of the 6 year powertrain warranty. Ha!

Reactions: 3 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Congratulations. You will love that tractor. I love mine and have no regrets with my choice. So capable and stable. For shifting between ranges, I stop completely then bump the lever quickly and firmly. Sometimes attempting to go forward very slowly, then letting off the pedal allows the quick bump to change the the range easier, but I really haven’t had much issue with doing range changes. Also you can try bumping it to neutral first, touching and letting off the hydro pedal, then quickly bumping the lever into the range you want. I really don’t think it matters when you change the SUDT fluid: before or after adding the third function. Just change it and filters on schedule. When I did the 50 hour service on mine, I didn’t find any metal debris on the filter magnet like many here said is common. Be prepared for the 200 hour service; that SUDT is costly, and a complete drain and refill uses about 11-12 gallons. Don’t use any other fluid except the Kubota SUDT. Enjoy the MX.

Last edited: