Used BX or B Series purchasing advice - questions

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I can say from the few bx series tractors I've used. And watching the difficulties my neighbor has doing simple chores with his, I would ever want one. Actually my neighbor complaining about the lack of capabilities lead me to the B series. Can't say I've ever noticed it's lack of stability, and I literally live on the side of a mountain. Everything has a slope at my place. Deffinatly not as capable as my dad's L, but really not far behind. He's got me on lift capacity and weight by a few hundred pounds. We can actually run the same 3 point equipment, and mine being hydro and having a live pto sure makes and mowing taks much easier then his gear drive and having to have the clutch engaged for the pto to work. Real pain trying to get around stuff and having to use a stupid low gear just to keep the pto spinning. No 2 stage clutch on his model.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Nobody upgrades to a BX or JD 1025R unless they don't have a tractor at all. Both have two speed gearboxes. Considering that many people who have 3 speed gearboxes spend the majority of their time in M, not having an M is an issue.

If you are thinking about trading in the future, start with at least a B. However, you can only lose as much money as you spend on something, so if the BX is a screaming deal, then it might be worth buying.

In Bs, there is a small B and large B that use two different types of attachments for mid mount mowers, so if you are going mid mount that make a difference in choosing a BX vs B vs larger B.

Neil Messick has a lot of videos on YouTube making the comparisons of different sizes. They are worth a look.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Nobody upgrades to a BX or JD 1025R unless they don't have a tractor at all. Both have two speed gearboxes. Considering that many people who have 3 speed gearboxes spend the majority of their time in M, not having an M is an issue.

If you are thinking about trading in the future, start with at least a B. However, you can only lose as much money as you spend on something, so if the BX is a screaming deal, then it might be worth buying.

In Bs, there is a small B and large B that use two different types of attachments for mid mount mowers, so if you are going mid mount that make a difference in choosing a BX vs B vs larger B.

Neil Messick has a lot of videos on YouTube making the comparisons of different sizes. They are worth a look.
Ever ran an older B with 2 speed trans? You spend 80% of your time in high. The few times you need low, you'll be in low in the newer tractors as well.

TRUCK3

May 5, 2022
Upstate NY
Appreciate all of the input and comments - very helpful real world experience. Probably not the forum to say it, but if I go SCUT, it will probably be a JD 1026/1025R. I don't see a great deal of differences in capability between the BX and JD 1 series and the 1026/1025R has position control, so I would probably go with the JD.

Small CUT, I do like the Kubota B series better than the JD, but I start to push my budget. I'm looking to spend in the $10-15k range. Quite a range of B series units I could get into, I might be able to get into a B2301 at the upper end.

What do you think about a unit like this older unit:
In my budget and low hours, but over 20 years old. Would you buy something this old?

There also seems to be quite a few BXX20 series units out there like this one:

But I would have to take a chance on the 1/4 inching valve, which I might be willing to do.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
For me, moving from BX to B2601 was a huge mistake because of the overlap of both machines. YMMV
Wow!

All I can say is I have both a BX and a B, and aside from using the same fuel, I have trouble seeing the overlap you refer to.

BUT I certainly think they are VERY complimentary...would not be without either of them!

IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE, I would keep the B though...but that is just a hypothetical thought, because it will never happen.

Reactions: 1 user

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Appreciate all of the input and comments - very helpful real world experience. Probably not the forum to say it, but if I go SCUT, it will probably be a JD 1026/1025R. I don't see a great deal of differences in capability between the BX and JD 1 series and the 1026/1025R has position control, so I would probably go with the JD.

Small CUT, I do like the Kubota B series better than the JD, but I start to push my budget. I'm looking to spend in the $10-15k range. Quite a range of B series units I could get into, I might be able to get into a B2301 at the upper end.

What do you think about a unit like this older unit:
In my budget and low hours, but over 20 years old. Would you buy something this old?

There also seems to be quite a few BXX20 series units out there like this one:

But I would have to take a chance on the 1/4 inching valve, which I might be willing to do.
I was actually just looking at that the last time I was in at eblings. It's a clean machine. It was traded on a larger machine. Didn't actually look like it was used hard. The age wouldn't bother me in the least. My B7510 is from 05 and has 2k hrs on it. Been a very good machine.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ

I think the JD1025R is a bit bigger than a BX, and also a bit more expensive. So it's like everything. The smallest "real tractor" is a BX. The JD is a bit bigger and a bit more expensive. I don't personally like them much, but they're a good tractor. The B is a bit bigger still, and a bit more expensive. I think the JD 2 series comes in a bit more expensive than the B. Depends on location and dealers of course. But basically you're getting what you pay for. If you want something bigger than a BX, but don't want to pay as much as a B, then JD1025 is just the machine.

My view is that the step from BX to JD1025 is a grand or so. The step from JD1025 to B is a grand or so. I think the B is a lot more machine. But then.....I bought a B, so I would say that.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Disagree. I had a BX, I moved to a B2601. So I guess I have skin in the game and may be biased. But I did my research very carefully.

The physical size of the machine (length, width) is not that much different. But the rest is quite different. Basically the BX is built to be the size of a lawn tractor, and to be the gateway drug. It's for guys to bring home and say to their wife "it's just a lawn mower, see, it's not much bigger than the old rider". Whereas a B2601 is quite clearly a small tractor.

The BX has a lot of compromises in geometry because of that desire to make it look small - the 3ph doesn't have enough range of motion, and lifts surprisingly little weight (not all that much more than the FEL). The B2601 lifts a lot more on the 3ph.

The B2601 has two curl rams instead of one. It has 3 range gearbox. It has position control. It has quite a lot more ground clearance. The engines in the B series are basically one size up from those in the BX - so the B2301 has the same engine as the BX2680, but running lower revs. Therefore they have more torque at the same HP, and are quieter running.

The BX has to have a dedicated frame reinforcement added to run a backhoe - you have to buy the BX23S from the factory, you can't add a backhoe later. The B can have a backhoe added as a dealer option because the frame is already strong enough. The B front axle is a lot stronger (the BX front axle is a known weak point....but it has those little tires, so if you're putting enough weight on it to damage the axles, you're putting on more weight than the tires should take as well). The rear HST is substantially different and more robust.

A lot of the other measures and capacities are basically 30% up on the BX. 30% isn't so much you go "wow, that's a much more powerful tractor." It does more, but not a lot more. Rule of thumb I heard is you need at least 50% more to feel like you've made a noticeable difference - so the LX would be the jump from the BX that would feel like a lot more.

It's really not true to say they're the same tractor, they share basically no components. But like the whole Kubota range, every step up is only 30%. BX -> B -> LX -> L -> Grand L or MX -> M. 30% jump each time.
but the B2601 isnt 30% more than BX. It's a fraction of that. HP = 0%, PTO 0%, weight difference, ~300 pounds (20%). Wheelbase, less than 6" over 60" (10%).... Operator station, 99.999999% the same. Lift capacity 500 pounds vs 900 pounds, some gains there. A little extra height with taller wheels.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
In spite of a bit of an exaggeration (30%), the B2601 is a lot more tractor than a BX. Sure, the max hp might be the same, but as has been mentioned here a lot of times, the larger tractors have more displacement and more torque. In effect, the engine power goes up quite a lot even if one of the measures hp is the same.

My Poulan riding lawn mower is 17.5 HP, but is a fraction of the capability in all ways of my L2501. The Poulan is a great little lawn mower though. You can argue percentages, but the fact remains, they are in a different league. Same is true for BX vs B2601.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
but the B2601 isnt 30% more than BX. It's a fraction of that. HP = 0%, PTO 0%, weight difference, ~300 pounds (20%). Wheelbase, less than 6" over 60" (10%).... Operator station, 99.999999% the same. Lift capacity 500 pounds vs 900 pounds, some gains there. A little extra height with taller wheels.
And my dad's l245dt is 25hp and 18 pto hp. More capable then a b in the same ways a b is more capable then a bx. Yes I can run the same pto powered equipment as my dad's l and a bx can too, just not as heavy. In every way except for hp it's a lighter built tractor.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I could argue the BX is overpowered. 🙂 The B's lift advantage is significant. To me, the BX's limited 3ph lift height would be a factor. And 2 range speeds, 1/4 inching 3PH, lower ground clearance, smaller tires, no turning brakes. But it fits many people's needs.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I’ve owned both and I they are both awesome (I currently have a B and Mx). I don’t care if they have different exclusive parts or a few pounds different. They are very similar. The B can lift a bit more, but I would argue that is less stable due to a taller center of gravity and still a pretty narrow machine. The BX is honestly is easier to ballast, however it has less lift…still more stable and a bit lower to the ground. Only other difference I would mention is the B has split breaks which to me is a feature. I think lift capabilty and center of gravity pending you property/use needs I’d consider those two things to determine which is best…if using the loader a lot I think the B is the winner…if mowing gardening I think the BX. The B actually feels like it turns quicker with the split brakes. I’ve skidded logs with both and the B wins there but the BX is no slouch. If you use a loader a lot both have very limited lift capability in my opinion. But as opposed to unloading a pallet by hand they are awesome. They are still very similar machines. They are both small maneuverable tractors and very handy. If you get the BX and use the loader a lot you will wish you bought the B, and in that case you would be better to buy once IMO. If my MX were at my residence I would have kept the BX and not gotten the B. The loader is the only advantage to me of the B…I live in a Woods and taller ground clearance and xtra lift is helpful doing firewood.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Maybe one other thought…for me the MMM and small space to be used in have been the primary requirements for me…I am not sure what your requirements or constraints are, but if no need a MMM and or small space use, a small L is better value / capability IMO….I would bet they have a higher resale value if buying used though.

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
If you're considering used, the B3200 is a great pre-emissions tractor. I have a 2011 B3200 with about 675 hours and it's been a solid trouble free machine. I've converted it to SSQA front loader so now I have a grapple, QA front bucket, and SSQA forks. It has the 1/4 inching valve and I do NOT like it, but didn't realize how important that feature would be to me personally when doing grading or mowing. It's not a deal breaker, but I want to have precise settings I can return to. Other than this and the seat being uncomfortable on my aging back, it's been a great machine!

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
Went from a BX2360 to a B2601 to now a L3302. I loved them all for what they are. BX is a beast for a tiny thing but too low to the ground and not enough weight. B was good, heavier and much more ground clearance and stronger components. Both can get you in trouble because they can do more work than designed. Like others have said don't let the HP fool you the torque is nice. For example my L only has 9 more hp but 25 more torque. 3 range trans is a must in my opinion.
I found both the B and Bx comfortable but I am short at 5'9". My only complaints about the B was the fuel filter location looks like it could get hit doing work in the woods. Aftermarket makes a guard for it though. Also the cruise control lever was a silly design. The lever style on the L is much better.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Them's fighting words!!!!

I did the table a while back.

11% HP and torque. 25% displacement. BX2380 vs B2601.

106% increase on 3ph lift, 28% increase on FEL, 50% increase in top speed, 53% increase in clearance. 14% increase in weight.

Reactions: 2 users