Use of clutch on M7060 with power shuttle while working backward and forwards with bucket digs

Joepa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2021 Kubota M7060HD12, front loader, pallet forks, root grapple
Jun 22, 2021
Victor, WV
Newbie question - When working forwards and backwards activities such as digging and removing dirt with my bucket, what is the proper operation of the clutch and brake? Do I:
  1. Just brake, switch to reverse, come off of brake and reverse without clutching? seems like this would stall the engine. Or do I:
  2. Brake and engage the clutch, switch to reverse, disengage clutch and brake and then reverse?
I worked option 2 while cutting into and leveling a hillside to expand the flatness around my barn for about 2 hours a couple of days ago and wondered if I was putting too much wear and tear on the clutch.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice you may offer.

Joepa

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Shuttle to neutral, then brake then shuttle to reverse, and vice versa.
Don't use the clutch, as yes you'll burn it out.

Reactions: 1 user

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
NIW
May I ask how can depressing clutch pedal on a Kubota tractor with hyd shuttle ""burn out clutch" any quicker than moving hyd shuttle from fwd to reverse or vice versa?

As I'm sure you're well aware damper clutch is a dry clutch that remains engaged 100% of the time & direction change are wet clutches.

My understanding is pushing foot pedal or shifting shuttle control lever merely controls a hyd valve.
I agree when changing directions ""lower engine rpm's"" relocate shuttle control lever from fwd to rev or vice versa while briefly applying brakes. I've unloaded several 100's of rd bales with my M7040 utilizing this method.
Thank you, Jim

Joepa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2021 Kubota M7060HD12, front loader, pallet forks, root grapple
Jun 22, 2021
Victor, WV
NIW
May I ask how can depressing clutch pedal on a Kubota tractor with hyd shuttle ""burn out clutch" any quicker than moving hyd shuttle from fwd to reverse or vice versa?

As I'm sure you're well aware damper clutch is a dry clutch that remains engaged 100% of the time & direction change are wet clutches.

My understanding is pushing foot pedal or shifting shuttle control lever merely controls a hyd valve.
I agree when changing directions ""lower engine rpm's"" relocate shuttle control lever from fwd to rev or vice versa while briefly applying brakes. I've unloaded several 100's of rd bales with my M7040 utilizing this method.
Thank you, Jim
thank you

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
NIW

Thank you, Jim
Thanks Jim, after rereading the tractor model ( which I missed ), I do stand corrected.
On this model there is no mechanical clutch, it's only a fixed damper disk that does not disengage and the clutch pedal runs a Hydraulic clutch pack.
So in this case using the clutch pedal of the shuttle lever does the same thing.

ON OLDER MODELS: Using the mechanical clutch to change gears or directions, and not the hydraulic shuttle (with a hydraulic clutch) to do it, will burn out the mechanical clutch in short order.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
You're welcome. I was just attempting to keep info correct. The older I get the more mistakes I seem to make.;)