Upgrade Forum to Current Version

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I would like to suggest upgrading to forum to the latest version.

The version the site is running was released in 2008, 12 years ago, way before mobile friendly web was needed.

Upgrading would allow the site to be fully mobile compatible, more secure using the latest cypher's, and faster.

Upgrading would also improve the google rank substantially (google says 75% of web search now is from a mobile device).

I am not one to chase every update every month but after a decade, in the life of software, it is time.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Far as I'm concerned it's fine as is. I never post from a mobile device. I use that as a phone only. The only 'gripe' I have is when someone posts pictures with Tap-A-Talk and don't reduce the size of the image, it screws up the entire thread. Other than that, the current platform is all good with me.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Far as I'm concerned it's fine as is. I never post from a mobile device. I use that as a phone only...
Which is great for you, however, you are now in the minority and getting further isolated by the day. I am not the one saying this, it is the industry.

I am thinking about everyone else. It will not hurt you one little bit, but it will benefit a whole lot of other people. Responsive web isn't just for phones, it is why it is referred to as "responsive". It works on giant monitors, normal monitors, tablets, touchscreens, cars, AND phones. BTW - Upgrading the software would address that "gripe" you mentioned due to device scaling.

If possible I would like to keep this focused on why upgrading the 12 year old software would be a good idea.

Last edited:

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Being a younger member (in my 30's) and being part of my job title is in IT, I would also 2nd the motion that upgrading would be a good thing. While the site does also work fine for me, I know that if you dont upgrade something will com along and eventually make this place obsolete. Kubota Reddit? Does it exist yet? Maybe I should check.

Ultimately though its up to whoever runs this website, and whether they want to keep it going into the future. I don't really know who actually runs the site and forums here. I always liked vBulletin forums though personally -Ive used them since my teenage years, so I do feel at home here in that regard. Upgrading however would be a good idea. If I were the one running this site I would be wanting to upgrade and move into the future.

EDIT: I checked. Kubota reddit does exist!

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
EDIT: I checked. Kubota reddit does exist!

I see that. Not much action and not really in a forum design. Just a bunch of pictures and video's but the quality is amazing.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I would like to suggest upgrading to forum to the latest version.

The version the site is running was released in 2008, 12 years ago, way before mobile friendly web was needed.

Upgrading would allow the site to be fully mobile compatible, more secure using the latest cypher's, and faster.

Upgrading would also improve the google rank substantially (google says 75% of web search now is from a mobile device).

I am not one to chase every update every month but after a decade, in the life of software, it is time.
Pony up and buy a membership and help Mr K with the cost of running this site if you are so concerned. A lot of people gripe about this issue but refuse to spend money to help out.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Pony up and buy a membership and help Mr K with the cost of running this site if you are so concerned. A lot of people gripe about this issue but refuse to spend money to help out.
I have already "ponied up and bought a membership". Is that what the owners have waited 12 years for? Me to buy a membership? Or is that your auto-reply to any complaint?

Again, this is for the benefit of the forum as much as the users. A forum that has no viability to advertisers doesn't last long. Not having a responsive design is already costing links in google and using this old version of PHP will start to cost users (devices anyway) and as google and the major browsers clamp down on TLS 1 and 1.1 it will continue.

I can see complaining about NOT upgrading (being over 10 years old at this point) I can't see a single reason to complain about upgrading.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I have already "ponied up and bought a membership". Is that what the owners have waited 12 years for? Me to buy a membership? Or is that your auto-reply to any complaint?

Again, this is for the benefit of the forum as much as the users. A forum that has no viability to advertisers doesn't last long. Not having a responsive design is already costing links in google and using this old version of PHP will start to cost users (devices anyway) and as google and the major browsers clamp down on TLS 1 and 1.1 it will continue.

I can see complaining about NOT upgrading (being over 10 years old at this point) I can't see a single reason to complain about upgrading.
This forum has worked well long before you came along complaining so if it doesn’t meet your satisfaction then nobody is forcing you to stay.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
This forum has worked well long before you came along complaining so if it doesn***8217;t meet your satisfaction then nobody is forcing you to stay.
What happened to ponying up?

I was wrong, you obviously do find reasons to complain about upgrading. Think of someone else beside yourself? As well as the betterment of the forum as a whole.

I made a suggestion with the reasons why.

Maybe I do not understand where you are coming from?
What do you have against running the current (12 year newer) version?
What do you have against being "responsive" or mobile friendly?
What do you have against running the latest security?
What do you have against the site performing better in google/search?

Maybe if I understand where you are coming from I could better explain myself. I didn't make a complaint, I made a suggestion in the "SITE SUGGESTION FORUM". - SMH

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This forum has worked well long before you came along complaining so if it doesn***8217;t meet your satisfaction then nobody is forcing you to stay.
BAP he's actually has a valid reasoning and suggestion for the forum to update, I can't tell you how many different details that would be upgraded by upgrading the software to make it overall user interface friendly and moderator friendly!

For some they would never know or see a difference in the change, for those of us that have to deal with the problems that arise from issues it would be a welcomed change! ;)

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it. Could the forum benefit from an update probably so but I suppose we could say that for just about everything. Ultimately that's up to the owner. This site has been a great source of information over the years and a lot of us old buggers have become very comfortable with our second home. Change can be both good and bad and from what I've seen the newer generation wants to change just about everything, a lot of times not for the better, JMHO.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it. Could the forum benefit from an update probably so but I suppose we could say that for just about everything. Ultimately that's up to the owner. This site has been a great source of information over the years and a lot of us old buggers have become very comfortable with our second home. Change can be both good and bad and from what I've seen the newer generation wants to change just about everything, a lot of times not for the better, JMHO.
Well said Bearbait. I am not against keeping the site up, however, this is a great site that the owner provides for free with the option of buying a membership. I suspect that there is not a lot of money made to maintain it. Some new members join and the first thing they scream is, got to update and only focus on that and not the information within the site. We as a society are stuck in the mentality that we have to have the newest, latest and greatest things available. If you haven’t updated software in 3 months, or hardware in 6 months, then you are screwed in some people’s minds. It has turned into a big, money making scam by technology companies. People need to learn to make do with they have, and stop this throw away mentality. I guess those of us who grew up with little, worked long, hard days, even as kids, appreciate what we do own and have, plus know how to make do with what we own.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Don't any of you maintain your equipment? Have any of you gone 12 years without any maintenance? Do you beat up others that do maintain their equipment? This is a maintenance issue, not a fear issue. I didn't want the discussion to get bogged down with techno mumbo jumbo about devices, PHP versions, TLS/SSL/Cyphers etc.

What you guys don't realize is that left as is, the site will continue to lose users/devices, so go ahead and be the last great buggy whip maker. This fantastic resource will be gone under its own weight because there is nobody/device left to support it. This is a technology issue that I think is escaping many here.

I am not the new generation. I guess I am from the last generation that wasn't afraid of everything and just got things done.

To the owners, I would also be glad to chip in on the license as well if that is an issue. I've never been one to be afraid to "pony up".

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Don't any of you maintain your equipment? Have any of you gone 12 years without any maintenance? Do you beat up others that do maintain their equipment? This is a maintenance issue, not a fear issue. I didn't want the discussion to get bogged down with techno mumbo jumbo about devices, PHP versions, TLS/SSL/Cyphers etc.

What you guys don't realize is that left as is, the site will continue to lose users/devices, so go ahead and be the last great buggy whip maker. This fantastic resource will be gone under its own weight because there is nobody/device left to support it. This is a technology issue that I think is escaping many here.

I am not the new generation. I guess I am from the last generation that wasn't afraid of everything and just got things done.

To the owners, I would also be glad to chip in on the license as well if that is an issue. I've never been one to be afraid to "pony up".
I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying just the way you say it. Forgive me if I'm wrong but you started out with what seemed to me a chip on your shoulder or you're the alfa male, doesn't work well around here. Maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time. Why do you think people are here, it's because many do their own maintenance and want to learn.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
.....Forgive me if I'm wrong but you started out with what seemed to me a chip on your shoulder or you're the alfa male, doesn't work well around here..
By all means, help me out, my exact request, word for word,

"I would like to suggest upgrading to forum to the latest version.

I am not one to chase every update every month but after a decade, in the life of software, it is time. "

What did I say what that was "alpha male". Or how could I have said it that would be more "how you say it" friendly. What triggered you in that statement? I would like to know what was out of line.

I made a suggestion, I was told to pony up. But I have already pony'd up. I guess that doesn't matter now. Reread the thread. FU#Q me to tears, I thought this was a tractor forum not "The View".

<Old_Man> And stay off my lawn!</Old_Man>

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Wow, really surprised to see this simple suggestion devolve into bickering. I didn't see one bit of issue with NHS's suggestion, or how he worded it. It was completely benign suggestion and some have clearly taken offence at it.

This is often a natural response though for folks when they dont understand something. They have their little routine, they like the place, it does all they want, and you are viewed as a threat when you suggest any alteration to that. This mentality has kept many offices in my profession in the dark ages in technology. Many years ago there was a near fight when transitioning away from all paper records and rows of filing cabinets to an in house server and computer system and software. Many of the older workers dug their heels in and made it difficult. Thankfully the boss was a forward looking guy and pushed it through. That was 20 years ago. We do things today in 1 day that used to take weeks to do back then. Now people look back and joke about how things used to be done. This same issue is cropping up again however as we move more and more into the digital age in my profession. One issue in particular a guy has told me if they go away from paper to a computer format he will quit. And its all because he doesnt understand any of it, and has no desire to learn. To him it looks like a massive burden on him. From my perspective however I see how massively more effecient it would make our process. It would literally cut his work load in half - but he cant see that, and doesn't want to see it. I share all that to say that many people often reject change out of ignorance. They dont really understand everything at play, they like the routine cause it works and is comfortable, and you showing up suggesting different is offensive because you are still an outsider. People love comfort. Change is viewed as uncomfortable. Most people arent going to think much past that initial impulse.

The best thing you can do NHS is to make your suggestion, then let people say what they will but dont respond to it, otherwise it will just turn into pages of grown men bickering on an internet forum and never seeing eye to eye. You have to just kinda expect this type of resistance, know that it is inevitable, and just kinda let it go. The only person that matters really is the site owner. I do agree with you though on the upgrade being a good thing.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The best thing you can do NHS is to make your suggestion, then let people say what they will but dont respond to it, otherwise it will just turn into pages of grown men bickering on an internet forum and never seeing eye to eye. You have to just kinda expect this type of resistance, know that it is inevitable, and just kinda let it go. The only person that matters really is the site owner. I do agree with you though on the upgrade being a good thing.
Thanks Tornado, for the sound advice I wish I had your cool head.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I don't see this site fading away anytime soon, simply because of the wealth of knowledge on here perpetrated by Wolfman number 1.

The bulk of the questions on here pertain to issues and they get answered because between Wolfman and the other Kubota techs on here that really know, this site is the online WSM...lol

The other sites I visit like TBYN don't have the member resources to answer the questions that get answered on here and the Reddit site while pretty, is nothing more than pictures of owned equipment, no discussion of issues or problems at all.

To the OP, let it lie and don't fester it. It's not your website anyway. You are only a visitor, like me. I also have a parked .com site of my own and I never put my opinion of any site I visit on that site.

Fine with me as it is. Maybe not you but then it's not your site.

Let it lie and move on. If you don't like the format, state that (which you did), but that should be your entire input.

I don't see any 'bickering' as you put it. Just other posters opinions, which may or may not be in tune with yours.