Unloading loaded tires on B8200

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Has anyone had problems with valve stems failing do the calcium cloride? I have had to replace stems a couple times already, as they have corroded through the existing stems so they will not hold air.

Is there a valve stem that holds up longer to the cloride?

Thanks, Dan

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Dan hopefully someone with more knowledge will chip in but what I remember hearing is that if you use the calcium chloride you should use tubes so that your rims won't rust and this should solve your valve stem problem.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Thanks DsBota. I had my R4 Industrial tires and new rims setup several years ago at a big, local Kubota dealer. My instructions were to put tubes in the new rims and mount the R4 tires, then load them for the additional weight. I'm hoping that is what they did.

My problem is with the Schrader valve stem. Valve stems are used in both tube and tubeless tires. I generally check the air pressure to insure it is properly inflated a couple times a year. In the process of checking and adding air the valve stem over time (I'm assuming from corrosion) they fail /blow out. Actually the spring & stem seal break off from the threaded core and are lost inside the tire. Which causes the calcium to leak out and the tire no longer holds air.

I only check or add air with the stem at the highest point I can possibly achieve. I normally have to remove the tire and lay it at an angle to keep the stem to the highest point so that the calcium is away from the back of the stem. I can't check or add air with tire on tractor, as calcium is above stem level.

My questions are: 1.) Am I not checking/adding the air correctly?
2.) Are there better or different valve stem cores that can be used???
3.) Does tire have too much calcium loaded in rim?

Guess I assumed it was done correctly by Kubota dealer...

Thanks, Dan

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Smullen & Dan,
Loading tires on a tractor is a cheap way of adding weight, but that's about the only benefit. Otherwise it is hard on the tires, rims, and less efficient for traction than adding wheel weights. BUT, IT IS CHEAP, which is why we, and most other people loaded our farm tractor tires for years. There are two different schrader valves generally used on tractor tires. One has a spring that extends beyond the seal into the lower portion of the valve stem (which is what you seem to be describing), the spring and a small retaining wire are exposed to whatever is in the tire (loading fluid). There is another type which is about 1/2 the overall length and does not have this extension and would not have parts subject to corrosion as much. The two are generally interchangeable. Never had or heard of one "blowing out".
Tires should NEVER be loaded clear to the top! There needs to be some amount of air space left at the top to retain any shock absorbing capacity in the tire otherwise tire life is dramatically reduced. To be safe, figure on loading the tire only to about the stem with it in the 12:00 position. Load only tires with tubes (agricultural tubes designed to be loaded have a 2 pc valve stem with a retaining ring at the rim). I have never seen a set of rims that wasn't damaged over time from corrosion by loading, even with fluids other than calcium chloride. On the other hand I changed a set of tires on a Farmall H last summer on 60+ year old rims that had never been loaded, they looked really good inside.
If it's a tractor that I know I'll personally be doing any tire changes on in the future, I stay away from loading and look for wheel weights.
But then again... it is cheap weight.

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Sorry Dan, I miss understood your post and didn't realize you were having problems with the core. I've heard of valve stem extenders that have little o-rings and that would give you new threads to screw the core into. I agree with Kubota Newbie about you having to much fluid in the tires. I've also seen cores that weren't brass but looked like stainless? Maybe it would be worth looking at using washer fluid?