Uneven Hydraulic Rams

DReese

Equipment
M9540
Oct 20, 2012
Victoria, TX
I recently took the bucket off of my Kubota M9540 tractor to use the forks. When I tried to put the bucket back on, the hydraulic ram on the left side was out about 6 inches further than the other. I have not been able to get them back in line so that I can hook up both sides of the bucket. Any advise on how to get them evened out?

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
If that doesn't work you can always crack a hose fitting and shove it back in (engine off), but you'll have a mes to clean up with the oil. First try to extend them all the way out then retract with the lever a few times. Not sure how they are plumbed but if they are "phased" some times you can get cyl pairs to even back out that way.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
You should be able to run the cylinders all the way in or out to even them up.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Nothing wrong at all. This would be considered a normal hydralic situation. It is impossible to find or have two rams with exactly the same internal drag, which ever one is the easiet to move will move extend or retract first.

Just hook up the long side, then run the other ram out until it aligns. Unless the ram is bent, the added load of the bucket will readily make this happen.

D~

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Do you have a quick attach ?
That will make a big difference in the answer.

E/S

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Do you have a quick attach ?
That will make a big difference in the answer.

E/S
Well you have to assume that there is no quick attach (QA) as there would have been zero reason to have disonnected the cylinders in the first place.

And if a QA is present, even then if for some reason it was removed, the same applies to reattaching the cylinder rams to the QA. It really makes no matter from the hydralic cylinders perspective if atatching directly to the back of a bucket or to the back of a QA bracket.

David

DReese

Equipment
M9540
Oct 20, 2012
Victoria, TX
Thanks for all the advice. I should be able to get back out to the farm this weekend to try it out. I will let you know how it went.