Under body muffler kit for M4900SU tractor

RickandBecky

Equipment
Kubota M4900SU
Sep 21, 2020
Tyler, Texas
I am looking for an under-body muffler replacement kit for my M4900SU tractor. I am tired of the heat and noise from the exhaust that comes up right in front of the driver platform, so would like to move it to exit under the tractor. I know Kubota used to make a bolt-on kit, but can’t locate one. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Have it on my M9 open station (2002). When I took it in this last winter to have it brought up to 'snuff', I bought it used, my dealer remarked it was the first one he had ever seen but it was called the Kubota down exhaust and was an option. I even have the block off plate on the upper hood.

It takes an entirely different muffler. Exhaust exits right in front of the step off plate below the floorboard. I like it myself. Nice unobstructed view over the hood too.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Navy you looked at an illustrated parts list to see if you can identify the part numbers and see if you can buy them new? I have noticed that Kubota is pretty good about showing variations on different systems on my L185

RickandBecky

Equipment
Kubota M4900SU
Sep 21, 2020
Tyler, Texas
Thanks for the info! I’ll dig around online and see if I can find a used one too.
Have it on my M9 open station (2002). When I took it in this last winter to have it brought up to 'snuff', I bought it used, my dealer remarked it was the first one he had ever seen but it was called the Kubota down exhaust and was an option. I even have the block off plate on the upper hood.

It takes an entirely different muffler. Exhaust exits right in front of the step off plate below the floorboard. I like it myself. Nice unobstructed view over the hood too.
e info
Navy you looked at an illustrated parts list to see if you can identify the part numbers and see if you can buy them new? I have noticed that Kubota is pretty good about showing variations on different systems on my L185
Thanks! Will look and see what I can come up with.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I am looking for an under-body muffler replacement kit for my M4900SU tractor. I am tired of the heat and noise from the exhaust that comes up right in front of the driver platform, so would like to move it to exit under the tractor. I know Kubota used to make a bolt-on kit, but can’t locate one. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
I have the so-called down exhaust kit on my M9960 to facilitate driving under trees without damage.

Not common and expensive.

Your dealer should be able to tell you if such is still available for your tractor if he decides to take the time to investigate.

SDT

Reactions: 1 user

RickandBecky

Equipment
Kubota M4900SU
Sep 21, 2020
Tyler, Texas
I have the so-called down exhaust kit on my M9960 to facilitate driving under trees without damage.

Not common and expensive.

Your dealer should be able to tell you if such is still available for your tractor if he decides to take the time to investigate.

SDT
I did find a supplier that would cobble together the pieces needed to move my muffler under my tractor. Expensive—north of a thousand bucks. I’ll keep looking.

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
See attached Messicks p/l for under body exhaust. Call them or check with your local dealer to see if these parts are actually available.

Attachments

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Do you have a muffler shop near by that could remove the old one and reuse the old parts to make you one? Maybe save you some money. I have a friend that likes to make the tubes. He looks at it as a challenge or puzzle.

RickandBecky

Equipment
Kubota M4900SU
Sep 21, 2020
Tyler, Texas
Do you have a muffler shop near by that could remove the old one and reuse the old parts to make you one? Maybe save you some money. I have a friend that likes to make the tubes. He looks at it as a challenge or puzzle.
That is an excellent idea! Several shops in the area—will check them out! Thanks!

RickandBecky

Equipment
Kubota M4900SU
Sep 21, 2020
Tyler, Texas
See attached Messicks p/l for under body exhaust. Call them or check with your local dealer to see if these parts are actually available.
Thanks for the info and diagram. My local Kubota dealer told me the “kit” was no longer available, but this would be a good start.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I turned my "stack" (tail pipe) 90 degrees so that the exhaust would exit to the side instead of toward the front. It made a huge difference.

Also as information, my John Deere has an under body exhaust system and even with the additional shield above the muffler, the heat will still melt the glue on my left boot and cause the sole to come loose.

RickandBecky

Equipment
Kubota M4900SU
Sep 21, 2020
Tyler, Texas
I turned my "stack" (tail pipe) 90 degrees so that the exhaust would exit to the side instead of toward the front. It made a huge difference.

Also as information, my John Deere has an under body exhaust system and even with the additional shield above the muffler, the heat will still melt the glue on my left boot and cause the sole to come loose.
Whatever I wind up doing, will make sure to have a good heat shield under the floorboard area—if I go that route. Turning the top stack is an easy thing to try. Will do that and see how it is. Thanks!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My open station came from a dairy operation. I assume it was used in the barns where overhead clearance can be an issue. On my cab tractor, the cab roof is higher than the vertical stack is. No issue with the hot exhaust pipe, it has a heat shield on it. The muffler on mine is different from the vertical muffler. The down pipe muffler has the inlet and outlet side by side. The vertical muffler has the inlet and outlet opposite each other.

Been kicking around removing the muffler entirely and going with a straight pipe. The turbo is actually a muffler. Besides, I like the sound of a straight piped turbo charged diesel engine. They make a sweet sound.

Removing the muffler from under the hood would reduce under hood heat as well.