Turf Tires on R4 Rims

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
It was my understanding when I purchased my Kubota that the rims are different sizes. I think the turfs have a wider rim.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Can I mount Turf tires on R4 rims? They are the same size.
If the rim diameter is the same and the section width of the R4 tires is close to the same section width of the turf tire then yes you can, I went the opposite direction and put R4 tires on the back of my B5100E, I replaced the original turf tires that were on it.
I was able to find R4 tires that were close enough to the same section width as the turf tires I replaced, Finding a turf tire with the same or close to the same section width as your R4 should be a little easier because there are a lot more turf tire sizes than there are R4 sizes, You did not mention what tractor you had, many of these smaller tractors can use implement tires and even car and light truck tires, When I needed new turf tires for the back of my B7500HST i replaced the Goodyear clover tread tires with a set of LT Snow/all terrain tires, the rim/section width and height were the same and they were about 1/3 the price.

Just keep in mind that if your tractor is 4wd then you also have to keep the height the same(within 1/2" difference)

If you are changing tires now would be the tire to add ballast to your tires, I chose windshied wiper antifreeze to use as ballast because it was less expensive and less corrosive than calcium chloride and just less expensive than beet juice. I bought the -20 degree windshield wiper washer fluid on sale at places like Walmart and TSC, If you don't live in an area where you get freezing temps then you can use a washer fluid that has a higher freezing temp, I live in NJ so I went with the -20 wiper fluid

You will need a valve stem attachment for adding the antifreeze ballast, Using ballast in the tires reduces the amount of add on weights you need to hang on your frame.

On my tires I mounted the tires and seated the beads with air pressure, I then put a ratchet strap around the tire and let air out as I tightened the strap, I laid the tire flat with the valve stem facing up and added the ballast, I forget how much I put in each tire but at 8Lbs per gallon 10 gallons of fluid will add 80lbs of ballast to each tire so the more the better.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Look up the technical information for both tires to see what the manufactures recommend with respect to rim width.

samg107

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Dec 3, 2016
Mobile Alabama
I have a 2016 L3901 4WD kubota that has R1 tires and rims. I want to get a set of turf tires and rims for this tractor when I do yard work. Where do I find the size tires and rims that I need. thanks

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I have a 2016 L3901 4WD kubota that has R1 tires and rims. I want to get a set of turf tires and rims for this tractor when I do yard work. Where do I find the size tires and rims that I need. thanks
I have a L3901 with a set of turf tires, it's not at home but I will be at my Northern Property later this week, I'll send you the brand and sizes of what was fitted when new as a double check for you. I know that changing wheel and tires is not a cheap en devour on your tractor.

I run R1 on my other tractors but use my L3901 on my couple of acre home property that involves driving over the lawn and for snow blowing in the winter. The turfs do well both at home and in the woods and fields, our ground is more sandy than muddy here in Northern Michigan.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I installed turf tires on the R4 wheels that came on my b2650.

The wheels were different but only in the backspacing.

Reactions: 1 user

samg107

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Dec 3, 2016
Mobile Alabama
Kubota Dealer, from a sales person, under Whole Goods.... At least get them to price it out.
Thanks I checked and they priced them out but wouldn't give me any details
I have a L3901 with a set of turf tires, it's not at home but I will be at my Northern Property later this week, I'll send you the brand and sizes of what was fitted when new as a double check for you. I know that changing wheel and tires is not a cheap en devour on your tractor.

I run R1 on my other tractors but use my L3901 on my couple of acre home property that involves driving over the lawn and for snow blowing in the winter. The turfs do well both at home and in the woods and fields, our ground is more sandy than muddy here in Northern Michigan.
Thanks so much for getting me that info. Looking forward in getting them changed to turf tires

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
I bet if you went to the IPL on Kubota's website, you'll find the part numbers for the wheels are the same for different types of tires, unless you're changing sizes.