Try to add wings on 6' snow blade.

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
I have a 6' snow blade that attached on the bucket of FEL.
and I use that snow blade to cleaning snow in my store parking lot.
When I pushing snow, it always leaves windrow on both end. so I wanted to add wing on each side. I'm thinking about a foot long and a foot high on each side and try to use 12 volt Motor driven hydraulic cylinder to adjust angle for both wings. I'm trying to make linkage and connectors for this but I'm not the welder. so I have to take it to welding guy in town but I have to show him how to make and so on...:rolleyes:

Do you have any better idea on this matter~???
I mean, How to make linkage and connector and so on.
I have only one cylinder. and I wanted to make it to flat or 45, 90 degree angle to pushing snow. Just like the snow pusher but it will have the adjustable wing on both side.

and this 12 volt motor driven hydraulic cylinder came with snow blade.
It's been used to lifting and lowering the snow blade.
It is 14" long when it is retracted (hole to hole) and 21 3/4" long when it is fully extended. So about 7 3/4" travel distance. and I have to buy the wire and switch too. Where can I buy this switch?

When I use it in angle, it works good too but it pushes the snow to the side and keep on adding more and more. and eventually my tractor can't push it no more~:cool:

That is why I wanted to make this 6' snow blade as snow pusher now~!:rolleyes:

If anyone could give me an advice on this, I'll be greatly appreciated~!!!

Joe.

Attachments

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Joe that's a nice set up you have there but i'm not so sure the side wings will make it any better for you. no matter what you have on the front of the tractor you'll end up with snow piling up on the side if you keep the blade angled. I'll post my set up shortly but what I do when I'm plowing snow if It's deep is just make a few runs through it with the blade straight to help move the excess amount of it and then I'll go over it again using the angle. Doing it that way will cut down the amount you need to move.

All that being said to add wings is really not hard to do. you'll need two hydraulic rams. One on each side of the blade. Then you'll need to make two extensions and hinge them for each side. Your going to have a few more hoses to deal with and then you'll need to figure out where to mount the motor/pump assemble. Doable but not sure if it's worth the effort.

When I'm plowing my parking lots and start to see the snow piling up from the blade I just straighten the blade and move the snow straight down the middle and start over again. Easier on the machine that way.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
HI Joe. I just typed a huge reply and lost it. Which is okay because I was embarrassed to have written so much to explain so little. Your tractor is losing traction or power or the front end is being pushed sideway's when the blade is angled. A wider blade will only make it worse. If you narrow your blade then add wings this would make more sense,(IF?) the tractor is doing what I just said? The way you describe the wings and your means of moving them will only have them going forwards, straight out or back. It will not make one go forward and one go back, which is really handy by the way. Check out Horst Snowwing on youtube. Ditto on what Wildfire said on a second pass as a clean up. You may be surprised at how quick that method is. When you see that Horst video you will just HAVE to put wings on your blade. Keep us posted Joe.:D Dusty

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xOGgJ5edgM

Yes~, that is exactly what I wanted to do.
Except that Horst snow plow is for Luxury and what I wanted to do is just for back yard warrior~:D

My tractor doesn't go sideway at all. just spinning tires, that is all.
I guess, my cabin, snow blower, water filled rear tires and so on helps.

I've been using 6' blade for straight 90 degree angle and just pushing the snow is most efficient way for my parking lot. except those windrow...:eek:
So, I wanted to make extra wing to controllerable with 12v motor driven hadraulic cylinder that came with snow blade.:cool:

I just finished design of this linkage and connectors and so on but I thought I would get better idea than what I got~:D

Probably, when I finished it... there will be lots of ideas over flow here~!:D:D:D

Joe.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Joe. Hi Joe. I imagine your design will work fine. You are no dummy. Just make sure you post pics. That blade from Horst is probably close to $15,000.Post pics,post pics.:D Dusty

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Wow~ $15,000~??? I never could afford that.:D

Any how, Dusty~!
I'm going to take my snow blade to welding guy to modify tomorrow afternoon, I hope~!

I still have to call him tomorrow morning to check his schedule but he is usally good to me.:D

So... If you have time tomorrow morning, Could you come to my store?
so I could consult with you for my snow blade modification.
Like I said, I have finished design but get some more advise from you~ before too late~;)

Please, let me know if you could come. and I'll buy you coffee~!:D

On the other hand, I'm designing another heating system for the house right now too. It should be very efficient to heat and effective. I did some test yesterday and it worked really, really good too.....:eek:

Thank you again.

Joe.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
WOW! did anybody else have their jaw hit the floor like mine did and have to duct tape it back in place after watchig that Horst video on snow removal. That is a bad @$$ snow blade for some extreme snow removal!

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Thank you, Dusty~:D

I was going to get you a coffee but it ended up with your treat~:eek:

Any how, I was able to design for 90 degree forward, and flat, and 90 degree backward for that wings now...:)

We are going to work on Friday. When I'm done, I'll take pictures and will post it here for you.

Thank you for your advice and coffee~!

Joe.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Do you have a quick attach bucket on your FEL? If so, give some though to a snow pusher. Won't be able to angle it but will not have the windrowing as much as your blade. Don't know how large your parking lot is, but generally you are pushing straight. Just a though that something that might work better for you and spend less time and do a better snow cleanup job.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I put about a foot square "wind" on the left end of an old 6' rear blade once.. I had skid shoes on the blade already..

The wing sat at a bit of angle out from 90 degrees to the blade.. When the blade was angled the wing was almost strait.. I made it with a frame and a piece of expanded metal with a couple braces back to the blade.. This all about an inch above where the skid shoes ran..

It worked well..