TruFuel question

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
This maybe a stupid question, but who uses the TruFuel mixed gas for their 2 strokes? I was running the stihl motomix for my stuff which has a green color to it, I did get the Husqvarna gas last time out of convenience and it has a blue color to it. Today I grabbed a can of TruFuel 50:1 mix out of necessity and when I poured it its clear like alcohol. Doesn’t make me confident there is oil in it. Is that how it is?

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Dad has used the 50:1 in his ECHO trimmer for 5 years and he's not having problems.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Dad has used the 50:1 in his ECHO trimmer for 5 years and he's not having problems.
Is it clear?When I bought my stihl stuff I watched the guy grab a can of trufuel of the shelf and fill when he prepped my stuff, it had a blue tint to it if I remember right.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I tried it in my ancient McCullogh 650, and it started harder, especially when hot, seemed to produce less power, and the saw ran hotter. Went back to gasoline & oil mix, & it was back to normal.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I tried it in my ancient McCullogh 650, and it started harder, especially when hot, seemed to produce less power, and the saw ran hotter. Went back to gasoline & oil mix, & it was back to normal.
Im just trying figure out if this is normal before I run it. Ive done the mix myself in the past, then went to the stihl and husky stuff and all have a color you would expect from a mixed fuel. Im thrown off with the TruFuel because its clear like moonshine.

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
This maybe a stupid question, but who uses the TruFuel mixed gas for their 2 strokes? I was running the stihl motomix for my stuff which has a green color to it, I did get the Husqvarna gas last time out of convenience and it has a blue color to it. Today I grabbed a can of TruFuel 50:1 mix out of necessity and when I poured it its clear like alcohol. Doesn’t make me confident there is oil in it. Is that how it is?
This might be too obvious, but it is worthy of mention. TruFuel also makes just a straight gasoline with no pre-mix included. Are you positive that your particular TruFuel can says "40 to 1" or "50 to 1"?

It would actually be easier than one might think to walk into the store and get the wrong can.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
This might be too obvious, but it is worthy of mention. TruFuel also makes just a straight gasoline with no pre-mix included. Are you positive that your particular TruFuel can says "40 to 1" or "50 to 1"?

It would actually be easier than one might think to walk into the store and get the wrong can.
I used 40 to 1 pre-mix.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm still working on my 2 gallon jug of non-ethanol mixed gas from two years ago. Used the saw a few weeks ago. Gave the can a good shake to mix the oil back in. Added it to my Husqvarna saw and it ran like a champ with out any issue. 😁😁😁😁😁😁

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Had the same issue exactly. It's not gasoline at all, it's an alternative aromatic hydrocarbon derivative and you really have no clue as to what type of 2 stroke lubrication oil is added. (if it's an approved by a particular manufacturer or not),

I tried it in one of my Stihl chainsaws a while ago and had the same reaction but it was also an older Stihl, not a new one.

I prefer using the Stihl branded 2 stroke oil in the wee bottles. Old or new, my saws and brush trimmer do fine on it and I just buy gas with no corn alcohol in it for the small engines.

I bet the Tru-Fuel is 50:1 mix but again, what is the mix oil?

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Yes I run it all the time in my Stihl Kombi, and in both of my chainsaws. I also run Trufuels 4 cycle in my log splitter.

Trufuels 50:1 mix used to be pink/red. The 4 cycle variant was always clear. Make sure you have the 50:1 mix and not the 4 cycle fuel. The 4 cycle variant is basically just a straight replacement for pump gas. Ive run it in my honda rancher 4 wheeler in the past as well.

On occasion I also use husqvarna's fuel options, and it is good stuff as well.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I run it in all my stuff, been fine for ~5 years, no problems.
It was about 5 years ago I got some bad ethanol disease in ALL my two strokes and I swore off pump gas for my machines at that time.
Stihl BR 340 Backpack blower ~ 10 years old
Stihl FS 110R String Trimmer ~ 6 years old
Stihl SH 80-something vac/blower ~ 8 years old
no problems
My new Stihl Farm Boss has only had one tank so too soon to tell on that.
Between the Stihl and the Kubota stuff, my garage is pretty orange.
I DO like to grab a can of the Stihl branded gas when I'm at the dealership.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I run it in all my stuff, been fine for ~5 years, no problems.
It was about 5 years ago I got some bad ethanol disease in ALL my two strokes and I swore off pump gas for my machines at that time.
Stihl BR 340 Backpack blower ~ 10 years old
Stihl FS 110R String Trimmer ~ 6 years old
Stihl SH 80-something vac/blower ~ 8 years old
no problems
My new Stihl Farm Boss has only had one tank so too soon to tell on that.
Between the Stihl and the Kubota stuff, my garage is pretty orange.
I DO like to grab a can of the Stihl branded gas when I'm at the dealership.
Yea if I could choose, I would run stihl's own motomix, but Its just more a pain to buy it as i have to go to the dealer to find it. Trufuel is easy to use because I can get it locally at my little hardware store in town. Husqvarna's fuel is also easy to come by as it is sold at Lowes. I actually prefer husqvarna or stihl's fuel over trufuel, but I go with whats easier to pruchase without driving out of the way.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Thanks everyone. I spoke too soon on here, it looked clear coming out of the can, the Stihl and Husky stuff has definite color when pouring. I poured some of the TruFuel in a clear jar and it does have a red tint to it. 🤦‍♂️