Truck tires on a B7200

botaman

Equipment
B6000E , B6000 , B7100 W/LOADER TILLER , AND FINISH MOWER .
Nov 5, 2009
dale tx u.s.a
yes you can run truck tires if you want , but you want to make sure that the hieght of the truck tire is the same as the factory tires that were on it so the gear ratio will be correct . also depending on what your doing with your tractor , you will find that the traction will not be as good as with ag tires .

botaman

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
Years ago my brother put on old recycled aircraft tires on his old Massey-Ferguson as a experiment. It failed because the tires were so hard and did not flex at all. If there was even the slightest bit of water around the tires would hit the water and spin fruitlessly. My brother admitted after the fact that the ride punished him the first time he rode on the tractor.

He ended up putting the tires on a old hay wagon that he had and they work great for over 20 years.

Truck and aircraft tires are designed for much higher load capacity and therefore have a much stiffer sidewalls then a tractor tire unless you do not get rain or snow where you live. A good quality AG tire is probably a much better tire. But just remember a tractor already has a stiff ride and these truck and aircraft tires are going to multiply it several times worse.

Last edited:

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
A man I work with put truck tires on his L2550. :confused: :confused: :confused:

That is just to frugal for me. :)

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Your figuring from the Firestone Ag website aren't correct so I'll tell you how it's figured to avoid confusion as it can be harmful to your tractor and pocketbook.

What you need to determine for keeping your gear ratio correct is to find the rolling circumference of the tires and do the math like this:
AG Front 69
AG Rear 93
Divide the front RC by the rear 69 divided by 93 equals .742
That's the "magic number" of the gear ratio front to rear period.
You can use truck tires if you're careful to put the right tire on to maintain the needed rolling circumferece.Height does not give you the correct measurement ever!

To measure rolling circumference is pretty simple to do:
On a flat level surface such as a driveway with someone to help as you need a driver and someone who can tell them when to stop.Mark the bottom of the tire sidewall with a peice of chalk and the driveway for a point of beginning,then drive it ahead so that it makes only one revolution to bring the tire back to how it was marked when you started,then measure the distance traveled between the 2 points.That is the rolling circumference of the tire.
Changes in inflation will change the circumference too of course.
When using the truck tires you'll need less inflation so by expirmenting you can come up with a good combination to do the job and carry the weight.

If this isn't done right you'll tear up the front end gears and costs lots of money to fix for sure.
Hope this helps.
Al

chip

Equipment
B6000
Oct 28, 2009
Danbury, Ct USA
You can also measure the outside diameter of the front tire and multiply it by 1.35 to get the outside diameter of the rear tire. I know this works for a
B6000. Or if you are keeping the same tires on the front or rear just measure the outside diameter and go to tire rack.com and find a tire you like and hit the spec and a chart will give you all the sizes and it has O.D.

regularjay

Equipment
B7200E
Jun 21, 2009
Harford County, MD USA
I appreciate the input. I should have specified this is a 2WD tractor so maintaining the exact same diameter isn't an issue.

And, of course this is all about frugality! Useable truck tires are less than $20.00 each. I've never even seen used tractor tires in 16" and if I could afford new ones I wouldn't have bought a worn out 25 year old tractor in the first place.