Trouble attaching PTO on RCK54-32 mower to B2601

RaulPNW

Equipment
B2601, LA435 front end loader, RCK54-32 belly mower, BB1254 box blade.
Jul 10, 2021
Port Angeles, WA
Hi all, new member here, very experienced with tractors and implements. All the videos I've seen showing how to hook up the mower deck PTO on my configuration shows young men with long arms reaching in from the side of the tractor and slipping the mower PTO onto the tractor PTO shaft with no problem. I have shoulder issues, and can't do that, and wonder if anyone has an easier work around than sliding underneath the tractor like I've been doing. Thanks.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
Hmmm. I don’t think there’s any way to attach it without getting under. I take a big piece of cardboard and lay it up over the deck and lay down and attach it. it’s not a pleasant task for sure. Of course make sure the deck is not up in the air.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I don’t have any direct experience with this, and I am sure it lengthens your overall PTO connection. However given your shoulder circumstances I wonder if it might be a better option. Not cheap either.

Looks like they don’t actually have one that fits a B series yet, but it is coming soon lol.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Try driving the rear wheels up on a 4x4 leaving the mower on the ground. That additional height clearance makes it easier to reach up in there to connect to the pto. It really made a difference on my BX so it should work on your B as well.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
On my B2650 the easiest way by far is to go in from the rear of the tractor and attach the mid pto shaft from the mmm. It is wide open going in this way.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My friends is older than I am and very arthritic. In his workshop he has two hydraulic lifts. One for cars, A GMC suburban and lawn tractors (6,000#) and the other for his motorcycle.

When I help him with projects I am always amazed at how much easier it is to work on machinery when you can get it to the right height.

Recently we replaced the drive shaft on a TG1860 which necessitated removing body work as it was impossible to reach the shaft.

On the motorcycle lift we installed new chain and sprockets on a 450 Honda + new brakes. Again, sitting in a chair beside the elevated motorcycle was easy compared to my shop where I am lying on the floor. Getting down on the floor is hard. Getting back up is next to impossible. :)

Both lifts are easily moved around the shop so they are not permanently using space. The bigger lift he found at a bargain price because it had a 50 cycle electric motor. I felt it would run on Canada's 60 cycle power and it has for years.

forum lift.jpg

forum motorcycle lift.jpg

Dave

RaulPNW

Equipment
Jul 10, 2021
Port Angeles, WA
Thank you all for these very helpful suggestions. I will try to drive the rear tires up on blocks and see if that makes it easier. I'm probably going to buy a mechanic's creeper, but that still involves getting on the floor and as Dave_eng noted, then you have to get back up! Also, I usually keep the box blade on the 3 point and that further complicates accessing under the tractor from the rear.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I also did the throw a piece of old carpet on the deck, crawl on top of that and complain a lot afterwards..

It helped to keep both the male and female ends of the mating parts scrupulously clean.. Using an old tooth brush or other means.. Also keep the outside of the female end clean so the spring loaded ring slides as easily as possible and the retaining balls move freely..

Good luck..

Reactions: 1 users

RaulPNW

Equipment
Jul 10, 2021
Port Angeles, WA
I also did the throw a piece of old carpet on the deck, crawl on top of that and complain a lot afterwards..

It helped to keep both the male and female ends of the mating parts scrupulously clean.. Using an old tooth brush or other means.. Also keep the outside of the female end clean so the spring loaded ring slides as easily as possible and the retaining balls move freely..

Good luck..
Thanks Tim

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
I tried an experiment tonight I wanted to grease deck without removal :)

Deck set to -0- on car oil changing ramps.

the PTO did have to be taken off rear to grease, lots of room leaning against the deck on drivers side.

DEck greasing.jpg

RaulPNW

Equipment
Jul 10, 2021
Port Angeles, WA
I tried an experiment tonight I wanted to grease deck without removal :)

Deck set to -0- on car oil changing ramps.

the PTO did have to be taken off rear to grease, lots of room leaning against the deck on drivers side.

View attachment 63111
Nice photo, thanks, I'm definitely going to raise the tractor the next time I need to attach or un-attach the PTO.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

Good luck..
I have found a little bit of light oil on both the coupler and the PTO shaft also helps...in addition to Tim's excellent advice.

RaulPNW

Equipment
Jul 10, 2021
Port Angeles, WA
I have found a little bit of light oil on both the coupler and the PTO shaft also helps...in addition to Tim's excellent advice.
All of these suggestions have helped a lot, thanks again. I built ramps/blocks to raise the rear tires off of the floor 5” and that now makes it possible to connect or disconnect the mid PTO from the side. And thanks for the reminder to keep the coupler and PTO shaft scrupulously clean and lubricated.

Here are some photos of additions I made for the B2601; a front loader extender, rear view mirrors and a bucket level indicator. The extender pictures are after moving over 100 yards of damp mulch, so it has held up better than I expected. I wanted to use plywood for the sides but didn’t have enough on hand and refuse to pay the going rate for plywood, so I used the OSB instead. I learned I needed to keep the box blade on for counter weight. The mirrors are for a golf cart from Amazon, and they have been very useful.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I wanted to use plywood for the sides but didn’t have enough on hand and refuse to pay the going rate for plywood, so I used the OSB instead.
I hear around here OSB is bringing serious coin...even more than plywood.....

Either way...better keep that extender under lock & key with armed guards......... :oops:

Somebody would steal your extender and leave the tractor!!! :geek: 🤪

it also looks really cool and handy!

Last edited: